Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 15: Gwynn545 (Tony Gwynn Tribute)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
[FONT=&quot] Matt - Thanks for getting in for this weeks Collector's Corner. I know I wanted to get you and your Gwynn collection at some point and time for this, but I wish it were under better circumstances. Thank you again for doing this !

Great, I have to follow Brad Wackerlin (@gracecollector)and his incredible collection (and writing)??? This is the epitome of "a no-win situation!"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Monday was my last day of school. A very emotional day in itself, and I always cry. 6th graders are so emotional!
Add on top of that the news that Tony Gwynn passed away, and I was pretty numb, admittedly. Still am. At first I was going to pass on doing this now, because I wanted to really focus and make it meaningful if I were to do it, but there is really no better time than the present. Lately, there had been a lot written about how great of a person and baseball player Tony Gwynn was. One of my favorite things written is here:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/06/16/tony-gwynn-dies-appreciation/10592545/[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Besides all of the mind-boggling stats, I feel like this article really captures who Tony Gwynn was, and ultimately why I collect him.

I will steer away from my usual "failed humor" and stick to the essence of the Collector's Corner Showcase. Even though I don't comment on every one, I have really loved reading about other collectors. Hope some of you do, too.

Matt Lawson
6'1, 230
College: Central Washington University
Collections: Tony Gwynn, Marshall Faulk, Cliff Floyd, and Walt "the Wizard" Williams. Oh, and "my daughter" has a bunch of beanie babies...
Best Pull from a pack: 1995 Skybox Football; Grand Prize winner (6 auto'd helmets, 6 auto'd balls, 6 auto'd cards)
Kids: 2 awesome ones

And it all starts a little something like this:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The year: 1978.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The card: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
reggie_zps7796654e.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or more specifically the back[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Reggie_Jacksonback_zps542bd42e.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1978 Topps had a game to play on the back. Shuffle, deal, and play. My best friend and I played endlessly! I was 9 years old, and I became... a card collector.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]1) When did you start collecting Tony Gwynn and why do you collect him?
[/FONT]

Actually, I started collecting Gwynn in 1983. I still have the exact rookie card that I personally pulled from a brand new-in-the-store pack of 1983 Topps. The year before, as a 12 year old, I went to one of my first Minor League games in a little town called Walla Walla, WA. Tony Gwynn went 5 for 5 in that game. I actually got to shake his hand after the game. I asked a dozen guys to shake my hand, and Gwynn was the only one. He seemed like just a teenager himself back then. He was short and skinny, and had a nice fro. I do remember that! I couldn't wait to find a baseball card of him! Since that first 1983 Topps rookie card, Gwynn cards always were moved into a special box away from all of my other cards.

[FONT=&quot]2) What was the turning point in your collecting Gwynn? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on Gwynn?[/FONT]

I collected everything in every sport starting in 1978. By the time Gwynn's rookie came out in 1983, I had a huge collection of cards. Through the mid 80's, I worked at a Country Club, so I did have some money to play with. My "LCS" was a place you may have heard of [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]called Pacific Trading Cards. Before they made cards, they just sold cards. It was a drive, but it will stay in my heart as the greatest store in history! Coincidently a lot of $$ went into basketball cards. Luckily for me, basketball cards from mid 80's ended up being kinda' important. Rookie cards in all sports were becoming very important. The first card I sold, I will never forget, was a 1984 Topps Darryl Strawberry. I had dozens of them. I went to a card show, this is maybe 1988, and a guy gave me a $20 for one! Money for cards? What a concept! Next thing I know, I see a story on the news about Jordan's rookie getting $200! Really? I had dozens of those, too! I started trading/buying/selling heavily at that point. In 1993 I sold a large chunk of my collection to buy my wife's engagement ring (best purchase ever!) I sold about $10,000 worth of singles in one shot (back when we'd get 30%-40% of book). I still had my Gwynns, and it was at that point when I pretty much became strictly a Gwynn collector. I still did packs here and there, and or the next few years, it was card shows and card shops! It was actually the most fun I had as a collector, for those of you old enough to remember. Card shops were [/FONT][FONT=&quot]everywhere![/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Card shows were [/FONT][FONT=&quot]everywhere and every weekend![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]3) What has been the high point in collecting Gwynn? The low point ?
[/FONT]

I'll do the "high point" at the end in my reflection. I'll answer the "low point" as meaning [FONT=&quot]when I stopped collecting[/FONT], not as [FONT=&quot]sad or distressful[/FONT].

I was set on collecting every, single Gwynn card ever made. I was doing shops and shows as well as mail order. Into 1996, the cards all of the sudden, got really, really hard. Even the 1993 Finest Refractor, at 241 copies, seemed obtainable, but now we were getting down to 100 copies? Gold refractors seemed impossible! Mirror Golds were a fantasy. My daughter was born in 1994, so money was more of an issue, and time was even a bigger issue. Personally, I would much rather spend a day at the zoo with my family, than a day at a card show by myself. I stopped actively collecting. Into 1998, I may have picked up [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]random cards here or there, if it came to me or I stumbled upon it. But the boxes were put away and I was essentially done. My son was born in 1998 and by this time cards were a distant memory. It wasn't a decision like' "Should I?" It just naturally ended and all focus was on the family. No regrets.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
2003 rolls around, and a local card shop, whom the owner I knew very well, comes across a box of about 100 Gwynn cards. Calls me up, and I just so happened to have time to go check it out. I was amazed at the cards! Most of them were numbered and/or jersey and bat cards! Ended up buying them for a couple bucks apiece, took them home, pulled up a checklist, and it's been downhill ever since!

[FONT=&quot]4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?[/FONT]

I am a little surprised that many people answer this part with little recollection of a deals slipping through the cracks. I, myself, have many! Partly because of my teacher's salary, and partly because I am patient (and cheap). Some lowlights:

***1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Ref #'d/5. Guy had on Ebay for $120, I hesitated hitting the BIN, offered $70 thinking there would be a counter. No counter, went for $75.

***2000 Essential Credential #'d/4. Offered a guy on FCB $120 (with plans to go $150+ if pressed. It went to Ebay instead, and I missed the end time. Went for $103... I have probably 20 more stories like this!

***Another good story that ultimately did work out involves [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION]. I love this guy, and he knows more about rare cards than Dr. James himself. One time the 1999 Topps MVP Gwynn Redemption comes up on Ebay! I had never seen one! It was an auction style, so I emailed the seller and offered $30 for the card (not a lowball offer, I thought it was fair). He agrees, and changes the auction to BIN $30, and I click on the link literally 20 seconds later [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and it's gone!!! Someone scooped it out from under my nose!!! After some research, and intuition, I realize it was none other than [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION] who got in on my action! Needless to say, [MENTION=3735]clarkfan[/MENTION] held on to it for me, and later offered it to me at a very fair (yet slightly greater) price!! [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I have always wanted to share that story![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?[/FONT]

The 1996 Mirror Gold. Hands down the greatest card ever made. There's rarer, flashier, more expensive cards out there, but for its time and place in the hobby, it's #1. Plus, it was probably the card that made me give up my goal of getting every Gwynn card, and became the quintessence of an impossible card.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
mirror.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collection) for Gwynn?[/FONT]

My wife has gone through the gamut of emotions. Twenty-one years ago she married me knowing of my addictions to the hobby. She doesn't love "the stuff", and she doesn't hate it. Sometimes she rolls her eyes when I get "[FONT=&quot]another bubble envelope[/FONT]?" in the mail. She appreciated Tony Gwynn, the MAN he was, as well as the ATHLETE, so he has been a big part of our lives together. Through osmosis, he is her favorite player, too. With his passing, we both shed some tears, she probably shed more than I. I know she has the deep understanding of what and why collecting has been in my life, and specifically Tony Gwynn. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't swear, I am dedicated to my family. So Tony Gwynn "crap" can be my only vice, and it remains harmless. My kids think it's cool, but they are not collectors at all. Tony is their favorite player, too. (Although my daughter has always had some infatuation with Arod...)

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I will never reveal my most wanted cards. I have learned my lesson with that. Sorry. I will throw out a card, though, to appease you all.

1993 Select Dufex Insert Promo Tony Gwynn #8 I have never seen this card.

There...are you happy?

[FONT=&quot]8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ?[/FONT]

Met him a few times. Not much I can add to the stories already out there, but it was amazing. The day I spent with him, obviously, is one of the best days of my life. Got everything signed, asked him every question I had ever wanted to know.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_2512_zps904b6ef7.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting Gwynn?
[/FONT]

Since "pet peeve" seems so petty, I do have a "pet-peeve" (and I know it's petty). It's other people who lack an understanding of how great Tony Gwynn really was, on and off the field. I get pretty defensive when people try to compare someone to Gwynn because of WAR or some other dumb stat.

[FONT=&quot]10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of Gwynn? How have they hurt ?
[/FONT]

The wealth of knowledge on FCB has opened my eyes to a lot in the player collecting world. Even back when I was on BMB, there wasn't the focused information like that can be found here on FCB. Ebay has been the best invention since...AOL? I remember buying/trading cards on these old AOL message boards. I thought [FONT=&quot]that[/FONT] was the future right there.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of Gwynn? How often do you check forums / auctions sites for Gwynn?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I check too much. I check before school when I am working out, I check after school when I get home. I check pretty much every night. It's funny, because I am "member" of many sites like FCB, but the extent of my interaction with those other sites is: Open, search: Gwynn, Scroll, Close. I have found a few cards on sites, but not a ton. There are some really great hard-core Gwynn Collectors. I can only hope that they soon will have every card already, and start leaving some more for me.

It's almost always the same few guys that beat me on every Gwynn card I miss. Part of me really wants to meet them. I've invited a few to FCB, and most ignored me...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?[/FONT]

Yes. I have had thoughts. At one point, I was going to give up the collection when I hit 3,141 different cards. I had prepared for it for years ahead of the time, actually. Didn't happen.

[FONT=&quot]13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.
[/FONT]

I have gotten quite a few great cards from FCB members. I do not blame anyone for trying to make a profit whenever possible, though. I would never expect someone to give me a deep discount, or even a card for free, if they had a chance to sell. That being said, I have gotten some great cards. [MENTION=2026]tramers[/MENTION] dug up my 1999 Super Rave and passed it along to me. I still owe him big time! I will repay him one day for that! And I'll never forget. This card ranks very high on my list of favorite cards in my collection for this reason alone.

Also, Dave, [MENTION=2859]rarecardcollector[/MENTION], had the Gwynn 1996 Mirror Gold. I did not have the money, and he offered a very fair price. He was nice enough to wait for me to gather enough to [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]make the purchase, and we made the deal. I really appreciated that. HE easily could have thrown in on Ebay and gotten the same, or more, and a lot quicker![/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]A few collection highlights[/FONT]:
Different Gwynn Cards: about 5,200
Also collect pins, magazines, and unopened Pacific packs w/ him on wrapper.
I collect anything Gwynn, the more random the better.

Biggest card:
047.jpg

Favorite new card:
15_zps86b492dc.jpg

Some Favorite older cards:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
red.jpg
news_3.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
news_5.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
e1c61a84-6e5d-4413-8ae0-b04a742d44bb_zps42f873fd.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
niners1.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
friar.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
preview.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Reflection:

In 2007, as a family we were deciding whether to go to the Hall of Fame induction, or Disneyland for our Summer Vacation. As crazy as I am about Tony Gwynn, my family has always come first, and I did not want to drag my family to New York for the Ceremony for [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]our once-a-year family vacation. So, we decided to do Disneyland and Southern California, but the condition was that we'd go to Petco Park for the Gwynn Statue unveiling. We got there early! Really early! My wife stood at the very front, along the barricade, and ensured a front row spot for all of us. My kids and I wandered, took in the sites, bought some souvenirs, traded off with my wife, and when the ceremony finally started we were front and center. My family lovingly tease me about that, still to this day, about "what they'd do for their husband/father" and how they had to "sit through" this, and "endure" that. How great of a day to was to be together as a family, and honor such an amazing human being like Tony Gwynn.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

On Monday, when all four of us were together literally crying, I thought of that day, and how deep down Tony Gwynn really meant something to them, too. How great of a day to was to be together as a family, and honor such an amazing human being like Tony Gwynn.

Thanks for reading,
Matt (gwynn545)[/FONT]

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Very good read.
Very sorry for the loss of Gwynn. What it must feel for his family to know so many people that didn't know him personally to be so touched by his passing.
To know it effected not only you, the true original fan but your family as well. (and countless others) I'm sure tony would humbly take pride and thanks in that. Thanks for sharing your collection and story.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow, great read. We are very alike in collecting philosophies and habits. A lot of people think super collectors will just spend whatever it takes to get a new card, when in fact most of us are patient and thrifty. And I think you're smart not advertising your want lists. I feel the same way about being asked to participate in Beckett's Super Collector issue. Better to keep somethings on the downlow.

Love the cards, especially the Starting 9! And sorry for the loss of your hero, or if not hero then collecting focus, I feel your pain. Too bad these last two showcases have been requiems.

Keep up the good work!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those Drier Friar cards are tough! I don't get why, but they are. Maybe it was a bust of a promotion.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It can play both ways, especially when someone comes across you via a website and wants to help because they are that kind of person, but you'll always have those ransom holder types too (and player collectors are exempt from that tactic themselves at times).

Wow, great read. We are very alike in collecting philosophies and habits. A lot of people think super collectors will just spend whatever it takes to get a new card, when in fact most of us are patient and thrifty. And I think you're smart not advertising your want lists. I feel the same way about being asked to participate in Beckett's Super Collector issue. Better to keep somethings on the downlow.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Great stuff, a true collector nice read. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
The loss of Gwynn is the first baseball player that I've felt emotional about. Nice to read this and all the reflections on his life this week.

Thanks for being a 6th grade teacher and being truly invested in it. It's a really important job and is not appreciated enough by many.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
What a great read, what an extensive Gwynn collection! I think it's great that you diversify your collection outside of cards and chase the magazines, pins, etc. Not enough can be said about what a great role model and genuine person Gwynn was.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Thanks for sharing, Matt. You made Gwynn a real person to me, instead of just a famous baseball player.
DANNY

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
Very cool. Hey Matt I'm really so glad we met on this site and all the playful banter has been fun. But now I really seem to feel like a know you because of such a great player/mentor/man. Private message me if you every want to talk some day. I think I have your phone number. I did make it to the Hall of fame ceremonies and was present for his 3000th hit, but never met him unfortunately. Was going to make it out to San Diego State at some point but never did. Disney world came first, lol. Also, I have been in divorce conversations over those bubble envelopes. Not lol.