Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braun and Arod expected to get 100-game suspensions after All-Star break.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- MLB Commissioner Bud Selig's office is expected to suspend Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez, along with as many as 20 players sometime after next week's All-Star break, for their roles in the Biogenesis case, several sources told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

Sources said the commissioner's office wants 100-game bans for Braun and Rodriguez, the punishment for a second offense, even though neither player was previously suspended for violating MLB's drug policy.

The argument, one source said, would be that they -- and possibly other players -- committed multiple offenses by receiving performance-enhancing drugs from Tony Bosch, and by lying about it.

Bosch's attorneys have met repeatedly with MLB officials over the past month, turning over numerous documents, including phone, text, email and other records, to substantiate his connection to the players named in company documents.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Here's the list of players who are connected to Biogenesis based on those records, according to ESPN:

Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
Nelson Cruz, Texas Rangers
Jhonny Peralta, Detroit Tigers
Everth Cabrera, San Diego Padres
Francisco Cervelli, New York Yankees
Melky Cabrera, Toronto Blue Jays
Bartolo Colon, Oakland A's
Yasmani Grandal, San Diego Padries
Gio Gonzalez, Washington Nationals (ESPN reports that Gonzalez only received legal substances, however)
Jesus Montero, Seattle Mariners
Cesar Puello, New York Mets
Fernando Martinez, Houston Astros
Fautino de los Santos, free agent
Jordan Norberto, free agent

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Maybe this is why the Rangers signed Manny... in case Cruz is suspended.
That's a good point, but Manny's probably still on drugs.
As a Rangers fan, it will suck to see our home run and rbi leader go, but if Cruz is guilty, I don't want him anyway.

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Could Colon get a pass on this? He was suspended last year, could the PEDs he used last year originate from Biogen?

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I stopped caring a long time ago. MLB's holier than thou attitude towards this problem these days is just a deflection of their own guilt and role in the roid ball era.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I stopped caring a long time ago. MLB's holier than thou attitude towards this problem these days is just a deflection of their own guilt and role in the roid ball era.

Being in Wisconsin, I'm not the person to answer this, so I'll turn it to the board: thinking objectively, do you think, to the average fan, the MLB is going TOO hard after this whole thing? Do you think that it's turning off fans who don't care enough and just want to focus on the game on the field? The NFL just quietly suspends the violators and moves on; the MLB has turned this into a jihad. Too much? Honest thoughts?

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Being in Wisconsin, I'm not the person to answer this, so I'll turn it to the board: thinking objectively, do you think, to the average fan, the MLB is going TOO hard after this whole thing? Do you think that it's turning off fans who don't care enough and just want to focus on the game on the field? The NFL just quietly suspends the violators and moves on; the MLB has turned this into a jihad. Too much? Honest thoughts?

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but this is ridiculous IMO. This is the kind of spin job that even political pundits would marvel at. When are Brewers fans going to admit that Ryan Braun is a scumbag? Obviously Braun is a huge fan favorite in Milwaukee, but the Braun rhetoric on here is just sickening to me.

In no way do I think the MLB is going too hard after this--this shouldn't be about the MLB. This should be about the guys who are continuing to drag professional baseball through the dirt and mud of the steroid era. Hats off to the MLB, they are trying to get this garbage taken care of.

I'm just so sick of hearing Brewers fans stick up for Braun originally, and now try to spin this in any way possible to not ruin the reputation of Braun.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but this is ridiculous IMO. This is the kind of spin job that even political pundits would marvel at. When are Brewers fans going to admit that Ryan Braun is a scumbag? Obviously Braun is a huge fan favorite in Milwaukee, but the Braun rhetoric on here is just sickening to me.

In no way do I think the MLB is going too hard after this--this shouldn't be about the MLB. This should be about the guys who are continuing to drag professional baseball through the dirt and mud of the steroid era. Hats off to the MLB, they are trying to get this garbage taken care of.

I'm just so sick of hearing Brewers fans stick up for Braun originally, and now try to spin this in any way possible to not ruin the reputation of Braun.

OK. You definitely have an opinion :)

It's an honest question, and one I didn't come up with on my own. I'm not trying to deflect anything from Braun; it's about HOW this thing is going down, not really who. I freely admit that it simply looks like a Brewer fan making excuses or spinning; but that was honestly not my intent. I just thought it was an interesting take that I heard on the radio.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with this. The harder and more vicious MLB goes after cheaters, the better.
Who cares if MLB should have taken care of this a long time ago. The fact is now they are (at least trying).
The enforcement is definitely making many players think twice about the risks.

And if a player does get caught cheating, man up and admit you made a mistake like Jason Giambi, Andy Pettitte and, eventually, Mark McGwire did.
Instead, we have lying ******* like Arod, Braun and Manny Ramirez, who fans can't stand anymore. Not so much because they cheated, but because they won't admit it.
By the time Braun is eligible for the Hall of Fame anyway, I'm sure the steroid users will be voted in by then, so Braun should just confess he made a stupid mistake and get on with his career.
Fans forgive.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
OK. You definitely have an opinion :)

It's an honest question, and one I didn't come up with on my own. I'm not trying to deflect anything from Braun; it's about HOW this thing is going down, not really who. I freely admit that it simply looks like a Brewer fan making excuses or spinning; but that was honestly not my intent. I just thought it was an interesting take that I heard on the radio.

Thanks for not hating me, lol-after I posted that and read it, I realized I was getting pretty fired up lol.

It wasn't directed at you, but it is kind of a culmination of me being sick of this whole steroid mess. That, along with people trying to make excuses for those who are currently involved in this mess. I enjoy that fans like those of the Brewers are passionate about their players, but at what point do you sit back and connect the dots about Braun, ARoid, etc? Being caught once and lying is bad enough, but to then go out and try to get around it again is very, very classless.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
I agree with this. The harder and more vicious MLB goes after cheaters, the better.
Who cares if MLB should have taken care of this a long time ago. The fact is now they are (at least trying).
The enforcement is definitely making many players think twice about the risks.

And if a player does get caught cheating, man up and admit you made a mistake like Jason Giambi, Andy Pettitte and, eventually, Mark McGwire did.
Instead, we have lying ******* like Arod, Braun and Manny Ramirez, who fans can't stand anymore. Not so much because they cheated, but because they won't admit it.
By the time Braun is eligible for the Hall of Fame anyway, I'm sure the steroid users will be voted in by then, so Braun should just confess he made a stupid mistake and get on with his career.
Fans forgive.

100% agree. I always point to Pettitte and Giambi myself-they admitted their faults, and no one even thinks of those guys when steroids are brought up. My biggest issue with Braun is the fact that he lied about it the first time, and then went to another clinic to try and find a way around testing positive again. I don't have much respect for that kind of integrity, I'm sorry.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010

I'm not a Braun fan, but how exactly is he a scumbag?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
100% agree. I always point to Pettitte and Giambi myself-they admitted their faults, and no one even thinks of those guys when steroids are brought up. My biggest issue with Braun is the fact that he lied about it the first time, and then went to another clinic to try and find a way around testing positive again. I don't have much respect for that kind of integrity, I'm sorry.
Giambi flat out denied it, until he got caught. Pettite got caught, said it was the only time he did it, got caught again and said those were the only times he did it.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Players aren't thinking twice about the risks. If the testing is so good, why do they hardly ever catch these guys through testing?

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
if the penalty is stiffer like 1 year first offense and life time ban the second. i think that would be enough to make it not worth cheating.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
This whole thing is just annoying. Every couple months a new "suspensions are coming" leak comes out and nothing happens. If they are going to suspend these guys just do it already or shut up until they have everything they need to actually suspend players.

Too me, this looks like MLB desperately trying to get Braun and ARod back for getting over. Say what you will but this whole thing looks like a witch hunt. Right or wrong MLB has handled this very poorly.

Members online

Latest posts