Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Man, The Myth, The Legend will participate in the Home Run Derby - Cespedes added

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
That's right.... Michael Cuddyer!!!!!!

NL

Carlos Gonzalez
David Wright
Michael Cuddyer
Bryce Harper

AL

Prince Fielder
Chris Davis
Robinson Cano
Yoenis Cespedes

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Two Rockies among four contestants? Bad choice. Show some team diversity.

I would rather see young home run leaders like Paul Goldschmidt or Domonic Brown or Pedro Alvarez.
And how cool would it be to watch Yasiel Puig compete?

Plus this from ESPN.com:

"Wright, the NL captain, said on SportsCenter, he grew up near Cuddyer in Chesapeake, Va., and admitted that this was a bit of a buddy pick."

Last edited:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Cuddyer has been one of the most underrated players in the game for many years. Not sure about HR derby though.

Very excited to see Harper on that list.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
The Man, The Myth, The Legend will participate in the Home Run Derby

Just hope participating in derby does throw off Chris Davis's swing for the rest of the year.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Great to see Harper since most people seem to have first heard of him through the Tropicana Field high school all american HRD

Very disappointed Stanton was not picked.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Who do you think Cano's 4th pick will be?
I would assume Cabrera, but that would mean two Tigers.
Maybe Jose Bautista or Nelson Cruz?
David Ortiz said he doesn't want to do it.
Mike Trout would be cool just to see what he could do.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Two Rockies among four contestants? Bad choice. Show some team diversity.

I would rather see young home run leaders like Paul Goldschmidt or Domonic Brown or Pedro Alvarez.
And how cool would it be to watch Yasiel Puig compete?

Plus this from ESPN.com:

"Wright, the NL captain, said on SportsCenter, he grew up near Cuddyer in Chesapeake, Va., and admitted that this was a bit of a buddy pick."

I was REALLY hoping Pedro Alvarez would be in it. That dude can rake.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Great to see Harper since most people seem to have first heard of him through the Tropicana Field high school all american HRD

Very disappointed Stanton was not picked.

Both Wright and Cano stated they wanted to keep the HR derby contestants to guys who made the AS team. We'll see Stanton in two or three derbies eventually.

Melissa414

Jul 7, 2013
I think we are going to see an underdog win DAVID WRIGHT. By the way I think I have the world LARGEST David Wright Baseball card collection as far as having all PSA 10 well if not then def. the biggest for being a girl (SPAM EDIT). Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Just great - last time CarGo did this it messed up his swing and took him months to fix it. Now the Rocks have 2 of their best players doing this when they are in the middle of a playoff hunt. I hope CarGos sprained finger keeps him out of this.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I heard an ESPN commentator say Wright and Cano wouldn't pick someone that wasn't being sent to the AS Game but it's due time that Adam Dunn competes in a Derby.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's why Cespedes is a horrible choice: Cano picked the wrong Athletic.
Cespedes and Josh Donaldson both have the same 15 homers.
But Donaldson is literally hitting 100 points higher than Cespesdes, and is widely considered the biggest snub from the All-Star team.
The Cespedes pick makes no sense.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
If Cano was going to choose a non-All-Star and .220 hitter, he should have chosen Adam Dunn and his 23 homers instead.

Couldn't agree more. Dunn may strike out a lot but I bet you he could put on a show in the HR Derby.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I like Josh Donaldson and believe he's one of most underrated players in the game but to think he can put on a better home run show than Cespedes is absolute nonsense. Watch some A's games and you may discover a few things. Like the fact that Cespedes has been hampered by injuries, was on the DL, and played through hand and hammy woes this season.

EDIT: my earlier distance stat was incorrect, however, according to ESPN HR tracker:

Cespedes avg true distance - 407.9 ft
Donaldson avg true distance - 391.4 ft

On a side note - they should have included Upton instead of oppo masher Cuddyer for the NL. His swing is tailor made for the HR derby.

Last edited:

Members online