Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A new Topps concept: Introducing Topps PLUS+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

They already make too damn many inserts now. I already hate the fact that retail and hobby are any different for any product. If all I'm after is a standard master set, what in the heck is motivating me to bust retail(for retail exclusive content) hobby and hobby jumbo or this topps plus stuff to do it? It's more of a motivator for me to say to hell with it. Best case scenario, it costs me more money and ends up being a pain. It might be ok for topps but it's not ok for the collector or the hobby in general. We need to get away from there being like 10 parallels for each product and there being 10-15 insert sets ,which sometimes include up to 100 or more cards, in every set. It's ridiculous, they don't hold any value a year later, and it's really making people ponder why they should bother...

I could see if all I did was base topps every year. But even then if I tried for a standard master set( lets say all parallels up to the black bordered) and all the non-GU and non-auto insert sets, even then I'm looking at at least what? $500? On a good day? So explain the draw of the product you're introducing.

THIS!!

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
In short, the main draw of Topps PLUS+ would be for those who want to collect one quality insert set, one quality game used set, and one quality autograph set while being brought closer to the game with a promotion based on on-field performance during the season. Plus, i have proposed a nice vintage element that would really be a huge draw.

Craig from Texas

They already make too damn many inserts now. I already hate the fact that retail and hobby are any different for any product. If all I'm after is a standard master set, what in the heck is motivating me to bust retail(for retail exclusive content) hobby and hobby jumbo or this topps plus stuff to do it? It's more of a motivator for me to say to hell with it. Best case scenario, it costs me more money and ends up being a pain. It might be ok for topps but it's not ok for the collector or the hobby in general. We need to get away from there being like 10 parallels for each product and there being 10-15 insert sets ,which sometimes include up to 100 or more cards, in every set. It's ridiculous, they don't hold any value a year later, and it's really making people ponder why they should bother...

I could see if all I did was base topps every year. But even then if I tried for a standard master set( lets say all parallels up to the black bordered) and all the non-GU and non-auto insert sets, even then I'm looking at at least what? $500? On a good day? So explain the draw of the product you're introducing.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
In short, the main draw of Topps PLUS+ would be for those who want to collect one quality insert set, one quality game used set, and one quality autograph set while being brought closer to the game with a promotion based on on-field performance during the season. Plus, i have proposed a nice vintage element that would really be a huge draw.

Craig from Texas

Craig...I'm not busting your chops but dude, if you need a fire, and a controlled fire that serves a purpose instead of raging out of control, you don't add more fuel to that already raging fire. You take some of the oxygen away from it. Same thing could be said about your idea. Why create another product? Why can't topps be like you're describing, without having to add anything? IMO, they need to trim down. And better quality wouldn't hurt. But if you throw another product out there, one not really adding much to the base product itself, isn't it overkill?

I'd be for your idea if it was just straight up incorporated into base topps and all the crap and sp's and everything was killed off. But no...I'm actually not in favor of any new products from our friends in New York. Truth be told I have been purchasing more panini related baseball stuff lately. The design is simple, the sets aren't gargantuan, and the inserts are sharp. Give them an MLB license and I'd probably spend more on their stuff than topps.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps. Your idea is ok I guess, but would not make a huge impact.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
You are not busting my chops and if you look at my response in #18 , I'm suggesting that Topps replace their jumbos with my concept. It's not a new product -- same product with a different insert lineup. My concept gives those a chance at a better quality insert rather than a bunch of cheap inserts. Am I the only one, for example, that prefers one $36 insert over 36 $1 inserts? I like the idea of doing away with factory sets.

Craig from Texas

Craig...I'm not busting your chops but dude, if you need a fire, and a controlled fire that serves a purpose instead of raging out of control, you don't add more fuel to that already raging fire. You take some of the oxygen away from it. Same thing could be said about your idea. Why create another product? Why can't topps be like you're describing, without having to add anything? IMO, they need to trim down. And better quality wouldn't hurt. But if you throw another product out there, one not really adding much to the base product itself, isn't it overkill?

I'd be for your idea if it was just straight up incorporated into base topps and all the crap and sp's and everything was killed off. But no...I'm actually not in favor of any new products from our friends in New York. Truth be told I have been purchasing more panini related baseball stuff lately. The design is simple, the sets aren't gargantuan, and the inserts are sharp. Give them an MLB license and I'd probably spend more on their stuff than topps.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps.
Although you're correct about increasing demand for hand-sorted sets and building sets the old fashioned way, Topps will never eliminate factory sets.
They have a huge profit margin and sell well at major retailers like Walmart and Target, especially during the holidays.

cparker94

Apr 17, 2010
Very true statement. It would be a good thing for the hobby to get rid of factory sets but it wouldn't be a good thing for Topps as I'm sure it's a huge money maker for them.

Craig from Texas

Although you're correct about increasing demand for hand-sorted sets and building sets the old fashioned way, Topps will never eliminate factory sets.
They have a huge profit margin and sell well at major retailers like Walmart and Target, especially during the holidays.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Eliminate factory sets, and the demand for hand sorted sets would dramitically increase. That would "fix" base Topps. Your idea is ok I guess, but would not make a huge impact.

Will NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen.

For the same reasons [MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] noted. And for alot of LCSs the factory set is the best product of the Year...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, I kinda like factory sets because it gives me the opportunity to say to hell with all the chasing that I may not feel like doing. Besides, hand collated sets are cool but I don't want to spend a small fortune compared to the things worth.

Members online