Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Like Bryce Harper Even More Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Bryce had the worst helmet throw n history then gets clocked n the face. I think whatever he says now just comes back to that

Sent from my LG-H811 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I'll have to watch it again. I saw Strickland take one to the face.

And the helmet throw almost looked like he thought better of hitting Strickland with it mid throw and let it go. Probably would have added more games to the suspension that's coming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
In response to the championship being the motivation, kids identify that with a trophy.

As a kid you want that tangible thing that says you won.

It's a black and white debate for me. I don't care about the situation even if the kid is disabled.

Does it make me a jerk? Probably, but I'd rather have a kid who learns that life is full of failures and knows how to handle it when the time comes.

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
In response to the championship being the motivation, kids identify that with a trophy.

It's a black and white debate for me. I don't care about the situation even if the kid is disabled.

Does it make me a jerk? Probably, but I'd rather have a kid who learns that life is full of failures and knows how to handle it when the time comes.

tenor.gif

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I cant see anything wrong about giving these young kids a trophy even if they dont win. If they put the time in went to practice and played all year thats a acomplishment
something to build on.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I feel like participation trophies breeds entitlement and false expectations. We don't get anything for showing up to work everyday, don't ingrain it in people that they should...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

How is a trophy at some year end celebration with your team teaching them a harmful thing? How is not handing them that trophy teaching them to handle adversary? They don't give out a trophy for every game they lost, they deal with that adversary then, and they go home knowing they failed and they try tonlearn from that and practice to get better. The kids aren't awarded anything for losing, they are getting a small thank you for participating in out team "award" or novelty. Johnny isn't out there after a loss saying "it's ok l, I still get a trophy". I don't see any corilation that this is harming anyone other than adults. If that trophy motivates one person to get up and play again the next year because they like that feeling, that's all good.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
Anything to add besides a one word gif?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

From personal experience actually playing baseball at fairly competitive levels, I agree with moxy, in that what I learned from my failures on the mound helped make me a better teammate, sport, and human being in general. But, I also have a brother with Downs, and spent a number of years volunteering with the Oriole Advocates http://www.orioleadvocates.org , a non-profit which facilitates little-leagues for children with disabilities.

The person pre-occupied with participation trophies and denying their distribution to the disabled, posses, in my opinion, little knowledge of any discernible value.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
From personal experience actually playing baseball at fairly competitive levels, I agree with moxy, in that what I learned from my failures on the mound helped make me a better teammate, sport, and human being in general. But, I also have a brother with Downs, and spent a number of years volunteering with the Oriole Advocates http://www.orioleadvocates.org , a non-profit which facilitates little-leagues for children with disabilities.

The person pre-occupied with participation trophies and denying their distribution to the disabled, posses, in my opinion, little knowledge of any discernible value.
my-*****-denzel-my-man.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

I am curious, as I agree to what you said about learning from failures can make you better in multiple facets on life. Does getting a year end trophy change that for anyone?

Ryan

johnryno

Mar 23, 2017
Country Club of Maryland
I am curious, as I agree to what you said about learning from failures can make you better in multiple facets on life. Does getting a year end trophy change that for anyone?

Ryan

The trophy's value is entirely contingent upon the recipient, so I couldn't tell you. For a child capable of somewhat advanced cognition, it could serve as a tangible means to recall a summer's worth of memories and lessons. For the vast majority of kids, I would guess there is a fleeting moment of joy attached to what is an ultimately pointless object.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
The trophy's value is entirely contingent upon the recipient, so I couldn't tell you. For a child capable of somewhat advanced cognition, it could serve as a tangible means to recall a summer's worth of memories and lessons. For the vast majority of kids, I would guess there is a fleeting moment of joy attached to what is an ultimately pointless object.
Wow! The GIF guy with a great point. I grew up a decent baseball player, hella tournament trophies i threw away when i was like 14

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I think for me it's more what the participation trophy represents for our culture as a whole rather than what it means specifically for little Timmy or Tommy. We have seemingly gone from a culture built on hard work lessons and learning from failure to one who is concerned with making sure everyone feels good about every stupid little thing they do. The trophy itself isn't the problem it's the child who learns nothing and the parent who teaches nothing. Intrinsic motivation should always be more valuable than an extrinsic reward.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think for me it's more what the participation trophy represents for our culture as a whole rather than what it means specifically for little Timmy or Tommy. We have seemingly gone from a culture built on hard work lessons and learning from failure to one who is concerned with making sure everyone feels good about every stupid little thing they do. The trophy itself isn't the problem it's the child who learns nothing and the parent who teaches nothing. Intrinsic motivation should always be more valuable than an extrinsic reward.
I would agree to most of that point. It's not a Timmy and Tommy issue. Because they got a trophy because they were on a team as an 8 year old isn't going to change the way they are motivated as an adult or how they handle challenges. I don't know how many trophies I received in my life but I enjoyed them as a kid and havn't thought of them since and I am sure you guys received them and it didn't shape your lives. Again, the only people they effect seem to be parents who don't understand the kids aren't using a frieken trophy as a pass in life. As competition gets tougher in travel ball or high school Timmy and Tommy who aren't on those teams have moved on to other things and that trophy that made them smile for a day or so years ago didn't hurt anyone. The other thing you mentioned is 100% true, but has 100% nothing to do with a damn trophy. But there is coaching and learning that goes along with sports , and team sports for sure. Again Timmy and Tommy got out of the house, are working as a team, even if that team or the individual isn't good, but there are life lessons being taught win or lose and if a trophy documents the effort, regardless of how the effort translated into success, who cares. If parents aren't teaching life lessons, caring for the child, and giving advice to shape a child's character, that's a parent/adult problem and that trophy Timmy and Tommy got had no effect on the parent sucking.

Ryan

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Wow! The GIF guy with a great point. I grew up a decent baseball player, hella tournament trophies i threw away when i was like 14

He makes more well spoken, articulate posts like that and maybe he can be known as more than just the gif guy?! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Hes got a long way to go my friend...a long way to go

Ryno may love his gifs but he's not some imbecile who lacks the ability to coherently express his views on any given subject. Why he chooses gifs instead of simply articulating his views in writing? Well, there is very little conclusive research to explain the elusive ways of John Ryno but one thing is very evident, such ambitious questions have long tantalized the world's best thinkers.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Ryno may love his gifs but he's not some imbecile who lacks the ability to coherently express his views on any given subject. Why he chooses gifs instead of simply articulating his views in writing? Well, there is very little conclusive research to explain the elusive ways of John Ryno but one thing is very evident, such ambitious questions have long tantalized the world's best thinkers.
I watched a long discussion about in on cspan Friday

Members online