Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRipkenRepository

Feb 18, 2016
Kansas
Is there an option to get notified when someone posts in this thread? If not, the Android app Line is a good tool to keep in touch live. If you're interested, let me know your line app username and I'll invite you to the Ripken chat.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Any Ripken collectors here have an extra 2006 Topps Turkey Red White Border # 582 of Cal Ripken?
Last one needed for my 2006 Turkey Red White border set

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
mJcsNUV.png

Onthespotdetailing

Nov 1, 2015
Here is how I discovered the level of trickery in the 2007 SPX Platinum set. I was just buying the green ones because they were 1/1 so I knew that if it was out there, I did not have it. As I got them and was putting them away I noticed that there were two of the IM100 cards. Upon closer look, I noticed that was because on each IM## card, they have different games. So if there are 100 cards with 2632 games per card = 2632 x 100 = 263200 1/1 cards. So my original number was off by an entire decimal place. Is is absurd to label something 1/1 when there are almost half a million similar cards out there IMG_20160305_153431.jpgIMG_20160305_154457.jpg

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
When those 2007 SPx Platinum first came out, I was buying everything I could find. When I got o around 80, I figured time to figure out what numbers I have left. To my disappointment, I found out that I only had 50 different ones and 30 doubles. At one point I had 5 of the same ones except for that little white window that says game # whatever. Everything else is the same. WTF! I couldn't believe Upper Deck put out so many of these out there and that's why I couldn't figure out why I could get them for $30 - $40 a piece. I found another collector who I traded for 5 or so and I ended up selling all the rest to him for about $28 a piece. He didn't care about the doubles or triples or whatever. I was just so disappointed that I haven't bought another one since and I lost interest in completing this set. I will keep what I have, but I doubt I will finish the set.

O a positive note, I've had this for a while now. Serial #01 / 50
attachment.php

Then I found this on eBay and it came in the mail today. Serial #50 / 50
attachment.php

Book ends....... Now I have to patiently wait for Serial #08 / 50 to show up and complete the book case.

TheRipkenRepository

Feb 18, 2016
Kansas
Book ends....... Now I have to patiently wait for Serial #08 / 50 to show up and complete the book case.

Hah, that's neat. I've never heard of book ends, and book case. I wonder if I have any like that., I'll have to check.

This came in yesterday. I've never seen one before.

IMG_20160306_100613705.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have a deal already in the works. Does anyone verify trades/sales to ensure safety and fairness, or are we on our own?

There is a feedback system, and I would alsoake a post in the BST section about the deal, then have the other member confirm the details. There are moderators that can also help in situations where needed.

Ryan

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Many, many moons later, I found my very own Home. I really don't know how rare these things are but I can honestly say I've seen less than 5 (that's right, less than FIVE) ripken the last 10 years or so and I lost on all of them. This was a BIN and I have it in hand. YAY!

attachment.php

Looks great next to this one....

attachment.php

Last edited:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
^ Ditto, I have (had) a couple of Ripken Aways but no Home either. Haven't been actively looking though, nice grab!

TheRipkenRepository

Feb 18, 2016
Kansas
Many, many moons later, I found my very own Home. I really don't know how rare these things are but I can honestly say I've seen less than 5 (that's right, less than FIVE) ripken the last 10 years or so and I lost on all of them. This was a BIN and I have it in hand. YAY!

Very nice man, I didn't know they were that hard to find. I also have both the home and away. I love the look of these cards.

Members online