Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOW MANY ONE OF ONE'S (1/1's) DO YOU HAVE - PICS WELCOME

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
Scrolling through eBay and looking over my PC and there are A LOT of 1/1's out there - disregarding printing plates.

So I figured how many do I have?

I got 6 of my player (Jeter). Pics to hopefully follow soon

How about you guys?

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I got number 188 today in the mail. They are spread out among my PC players. Hamilton, Michael Young, and Ivan Rodriguez as well as some random Rangers.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Up to 113 Jonny Gomes 1/1s, in addition to some of other players. Here's a slightly outdated collage of the Jonny Gomes ones.

1-1s.png

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
I only have 1.. I forgot who and what year but it's a printing plate I picked up at a show for $6, nothing special but I just wanted to finally have one.

Hope to get more eventually.. As a serial numbered collector that's pretty much as good as it gets!

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I never counted. I will show a few already scanned. I still have a good amount I never got around to scanning. Hopefully this post will motivate me to get scanning soon.
Bernie1998Fkairrow151oneofome.jpg

Bernie1998SportsIllustrated125oneofone.jpg

Bernie1999Flaireow3omeofome.jpg

2003ToppsTributePaulOneillBernieWilliams.jpg

2010BowmanChromeBryanMitchellSuperfractorBCP118.jpg

Jeter2008StadiumClubSketches51-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is quite impressive.

I always wonder when I see such exhaustive collections. What does this person do for a living (or where does the money come from)? How much competition do they have? I, as most of you, have lost out on items before because we missed the listing or offering or just because we bid poorly, however there are plenty of items that I have watched go elsewhere just because of the sheer cost. I just can't/won't spend $300-400 or more on a baseball card made in the 2000s! If you have access to early Microsoft millions or were a big lottery winner, then a $10K a month card habit may be nothing to you and dropping $800 on a 1/1 that more than a few people want, you'll almost always come out on top.

Not saying that is the case here, because I know nothing about the collection or the collector, but there are plenty of big spenders out there, that is for sure.

I have a lowly 3 RJ 1/1s if you discount all the sketch cards. bjbsue had like 25 or so last time I checked her RJ photobucket.

If you would like to shake your head in disbelief, check out dalsubfan's Mark Teixeira PC collection, over 800 1/1s, only 300 or so are printing plates.

http://s713.photobucket.com/user/dalsubfan/library/Ultimate Teixeira/Teixeira 1 of 1s?sort=4&page=28

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That is quite impressive.

I always wonder when I see such exhaustive collections. What does this person do for a living (or where does the money come from)? How much competition do they have? I, as most of you, have lost out on items before because we missed the listing or offering or just because we bid poorly, however there are plenty of items that I have watched go elsewhere just because of the sheer cost. I just can't/won't spend $300-400 or more on a baseball card made in the 2000s! If you have access to early Microsoft millions or were a big lottery winner, then a $10K a month card habit may be nothing to you and dropping $800 on a 1/1 that more than a few people want, you'll almost always come out on top.

Not saying that is the case here, because I know nothing about the collection or the collector, but there are plenty of big spenders out there, that is for sure.

Some people take time to do it. You just acquire things over time. A lot of times you're looking at something and thinking "Wow...dude must be rich", when in fact he may have purchased only a handful of those cards per year.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of collectors out there but with newer players, there's way too much out there for any one person to go after so the prices may flex enough to allow some players to be had cheaply. All it takes is dedication. Some of these cards only go for $30-$100. Sometimes less. So it's not unreasonable that a non-rich person could pick up a handful every month.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
No matter how it's sliced
It takes a great deal of dedication (time and literally $$$) to amass large quantities of these types of cards.

But hey, better than spending the dough at the slots and tables or worse on the horses

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sure, I have collected Steve Garvey for many years, but it wasn't until around 2000 when the rare and expensive cards really started to get issued in much larger quantities. I have spent a fair amount of money in those 14 years, but nothing close to that level. In this case, Tex is a star type player and with what looks like over 1000 1/1s alone, that collection had to have cost a ton even over the duration of his career. Take your estimate and that is $30-100k in just 1/1 cards!

That isn't necessarily millionaire money over a decade or more, but it isn't chump change.

Some people take time to do it. You just acquire things over time. A lot of times you're looking at something and thinking "Wow...dude must be rich", when in fact he may have purchased only a handful of those cards per year.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of collectors out there but with newer players, there's way too much out there for any one person to go after so the prices may flex enough to allow some players to be had cheaply. All it takes is dedication. Some of these cards only go for $30-$100. Sometimes less. So it's not unreasonable that a non-rich person could pick up a handful every month.

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
I have a few random plates but have yet to acquire an Edgar 1/1. Since most of his cards were produced prior to printing plates, there aren't a whole lot and they are pricey. I will get one some day.

Latest posts