Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Garin Cecchini Traded to the Brewers For Cash Considerations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Good move by Stearns.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier
Red Sox traded Garin Cecchini to the Brewers for cash considerations

[MENTION=2016]hive17[/MENTION]

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Awesome. The Brewers had a bunch of room on the 40-man anyway and have shed payroll in last year, so why not just go out and "buy" a prospect.

I always kind of liked him, and maybe a change of systems will help re-establish him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Good move by Stearns.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier

@hive17

MLB.com hasn't moved him yet, but it'll be a good barometer of the Brewers' farm system to see where the 11th prospect in the Red Sox systems slots into the Brewers' system.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Good move by the Brewers, as the Red Sox are making sure to gut their system.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Ugh. I was hoping to see both cecchini and Ranaudo for the Sox one day. Ah well. Good luck to both in their careers.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Ugh. I was hoping to see both cecchini and Ranaudo for the Sox one day. Ah well. Good luck to both in their careers.

Both did end up playing with the Sox, and neither were very good. Ranaudo was too wild and gave up too many HR in a small sample size in 2014, and barely spent time in the majors with Texas this year. Cecchini looked OK, nothing special. I don't feel like their absences have or will hurt the Sox at all.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
As a side note to this deal, Milwaukee has also picked up Will Middlebrooks. Milwaukee has basically duplicated the Red Sox "problem" when both of these guys were high touted prospects in the Boston system. Although, at this point, with them being opposite sides of the plate, you're really just signing a big line-up maneuver.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
As a side note to this deal, Milwaukee has also picked up Will Middlebrooks. Milwaukee has basically duplicated the Red Sox "problem" when both of these guys were high touted prospects in the Boston system. Although, at this point, with them being opposite sides of the plate, you're really just signing a big line-up maneuver.
Are they going to be in a platoon at 3B in Milwaukee or are they going to be AAA depth??

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Awesome. The Brewers had a bunch of room on the 40-man anyway and have shed payroll in last year, so why not just go out and "buy" a prospect.

I always kind of liked him, and maybe a change of systems will help re-establish him.

Awesome? Why?

Good move by Stearns.

Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier

@hive17

Why is this a good move?

Good move by the Brewers, as the Red Sox are making sure to gut their system.

Again, why is this a "good move" for the Brewers?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Awesome? Why?

Why is this a good move?

Again, why is this a "good move" for the Brewers?

Because it's low-risk. You're not giving up any depth while you add depth. When you're rebuilding, that's all you want, depth, depth, depth.

They had the 40-man space, which Milwaukee had as much or more than anyone, it's a good move.

As for where they slot in, Sterns as much as said they will act as a platoon from each side of the plate. We can assume if one starts to make the other unnecessary, then you can shift the depth to first.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Because it's low-risk. You're not giving up any depth while you add depth. When you're rebuilding, that's all you want, depth, depth, depth.

They had the 40-man space, which Milwaukee had as much or more than anyone, it's a good move.

As for where they slot in, Sterns as much as said they will act as a platoon from each side of the plate. We can assume if one starts to make the other unnecessary, then you can shift the depth to first.

Cecchini has done nothing impressive for at least two years. He's at the age where he should be firing on all cylinders, yet he looks like a bigger version of an aging Stephen Drew at the plate-- TOO relaxed.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Cecchini has done nothing impressive for at least two years. He's at the age where he should be firing on all cylinders, yet he looks like a bigger version of an aging Stephen Drew at the plate-- TOO relaxed.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Change of scenery has done wonders for guys. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Like I said, it's almost zero risk for Milwaukee. They'll have I think the second lowest payroll next year after years of being in the middle.

If no guy ever improved after switching systems, I'd be inclined to write him off too, but that's not the case.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I liked Cecchini and it is too bad it did not work out in Boston. I wish him luck. The Brewers are getting some depth, yes. Cecchini was not in Boston's plans so I doubt this hurts them at all, it certainly is not an example of them continuing to "gut their farm system" as one poster put it. Cecchini was not going anywhere at all and he has been bypassed on the depth charts by other players.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
If it's nothing more than a couple low cost guys with ML experience to field a team while we wait then the results are almost insignificant. Therefore if either performs above expectations it'll be icing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts