Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

McGwire and Canseco Reconciliation? (Player Collectors Come In!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sounds like the recent piece says that McGwire wants nothing to do with Canseco and does not want to see or speak to him ever again. Not sure if that's how he really feels but I'm sure it is. Same with Canseco, does he really care to be friends with McGwire or is this a publicity stunt?

What do McGwire and Canseco player collectors think? Thoughts on them reconciling or becoming friends again or if they should become friends again? Even care?

Pretty crazy considering how closet hey were and now it's like they'll never speak again.

Here is the ESPN article talking about it. Good video too: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11255181/mark-mcgwire-says-wants-do-jose-canseco-again

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
McGwire is Butt Hurt cause Canseco came out with the truth. End of story. McGwire got popped as did many other and will never live that down and will always hold a grudge. Maybe I am biased because in 87 I went with my folks to a Yankees A's game in Oakland. After the game we ended up on the freeway in stopped traffic next to who else?? Jose Canseco. Even though we were all Yankees fans we all were waving at him. He smiled rolled his window down and said high to all of us. He could have completely ignored us cause we all had Yankees gear on but he didn't. To me that showed me a lot about his character. Sorry, probably off topic. To your question I could care less about them being friends

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
McGwire is Butt Hurt cause Canseco came out with the truth. End of story.
Yea, I agree with this but it is kind of odd that they can't figure it out all these years later, etc. I mean they were pretty close.

I guess I was curious what collectors of each guy thought mostly... I mean I know as a player collector of Albert Belle, I'm pretty passionate about anything related to him, so figure collectors of these two might have pretty wide range of views.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think it's McGwire's choice to ignore Jose and not anyone else's - one has found himself back in the game while the other is still a pariah - they made each other's beds and as it goes, 'it is what it is.'

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think it's McGwire's choice to ignore Jose and not anyone else's - one has found himself back in the game while the other is still a pariah - they made each other's beds and as it goes, 'it is what it is.'
Totally agree with this... I don't think McGwire needs to be friends with Jose or forgive him or anything. It looks like McGwire is turning his life around and starting to get back into baseball and even the hobby for that matter. Jose is going in the other direction. I bet deep down inside McGwire hopes he can get into the HOF one day... it's too bad but he will probably have to look to the veteran committee or whatever for that. Don't see it happening the right way.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Totally agree with this... I don't think McGwire needs to be friends with Jose or forgive him or anything. It looks like McGwire is turning his life around and starting to get back into baseball and even the hobby for that matter. Jose is going in the other direction. I bet deep down inside McGwire hopes he can get into the HOF one day... it's too bad but he will probably have to look to the veteran committee or whatever for that. Don't see it happening the right way.

Agree. with everything you said except for the HOF. He won't make it ever.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Agree. with everything you said except for the HOF. He won't make it ever.
You don't think? I use to be in that camp... and to be clear, I'm not a huge McGwire guy or anything but I feel like he is doing all the right things. Never know, he continues working in MLB and does all the right things, in 20 years or whatever, he could do it I bet. I wouldn't be upset if he never made it in though.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I am surprised at how forgiving everyone is of McGwire and ripping on Canseco. Leaving Canseco out of it. McGwire was a classless fool back in the day and just because he is back in baseball really means nothing. I guess people want to believe that "we're not here to talk about the past" (remember that doozy). He is as much NOT a man as Canseco. At least Canseco tells the "truth" As for Canseco "calling out his teammates"... Money has a strange way sometimes. If his "teammates weren't cheating then it wouldn't have mattered.

As for the HOF, if McGwire makes it then Clemens, A-Rod and especially BONDS should get in. Not to mention a handful of other steroid era players. Of all the players from that era, BONDS deserves it more than McGwire IMO

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
A man who dimes out teammates is not a man.

Yup, this is what ya'll are missing

McGwire is Butt Hurt cause Canseco came out with the truth. End of story.

Canseco should run his mouth about himself and keep his former teammates out of it. McGwire used roids obviously but Canseco is a scumbag, media-selling out trashbag. The guy has no honor or respect. He's garbage and all former teammates are not "butthurt" because Canseco "came out with the truth"

He's a bitch and trash. Clubhouse is the clubhouse and Canseco didn't respect that. That book probably netted him little more than one or two mortgage payments (as no one actually *bought* the book) yet it cost him immensely in personal relationships within the baseball community.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
This is the same type of fued that Pete Rose and Johnny Bench has had for years. In public, they have shook hands and made up but Johnny still has ill feeling with Pete (rightfully so). Johnny refuses to sign anything with Pete on it unless it deals with the Great 8 from the Big Red Machine.

As for Canseco being a ******, he is but he spoke the truth. McGwire needs to let water flow under the bridge. McGwire knew what he was doing when he did it, Canseco didnt force him to take anything. Canseco at least owned up to it. On the flip side, Canseco should have let locker room issues stay in the locker room.

Fordman

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Yup, this is what ya'll are missing

He's a bitch and trash. Clubhouse is the clubhouse and Canseco didn't respect that. That book probably netted him little more than one or two mortgage payments (as no one actually *bought* the book) yet it cost him immensely in personal relationships within the baseball community.

An article from deadspin

http://deadspin.com/372409/chasing-jose-by-pat-jordan

"Jose was paid $100,000 for "Juiced," which sold about 200,000 copies. He has received about $850,000 in royalties so far, but he claims he is owed $1.4 million. The book was a best-seller despite the fact that many people questioned the veracity of Jose's claim about rampant steroid use in baseball for a number of reasons"

A Little more than two mortgage payments wouldnt you say? Was it worth losing relationships over, according to Canseco 3 days ago, apparently not, but the book was a best seller,

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
An article from deadspin

http://deadspin.com/372409/chasing-jose-by-pat-jordan

"Jose was paid $100,000 for "Juiced," which sold about 200,000 copies. He has received about $850,000 in royalties so far, but he claims he is owed $1.4 million. The book was a best-seller despite the fact that many people questioned the veracity of Jose's claim about rampant steroid use in baseball for a number of reasons"

A Little more than two mortgage payments wouldnt you say? Was it worth losing relationships over, according to Canseco 3 days ago, apparently not, but the book was a best seller,
Man, that's nuts! Wow, not that I would do it but as someone said earlier, money does strange things and for Canseco's ass, $100k up front and nearly $1mm to-date, that's probably a price a lot of people would take in order to backstab a friend. Sad if you ask me, really is.

Also, I agree with the comment that McGwire is no better... I guess I am in the camp of forgetting how it use to be and who he really was, which shows how good of a PR team he has, etc.

Why do you think Topps put him back into product?!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Man, that's nuts! Wow, not that I would do it but as someone said earlier, money does strange things and for Canseco's ass, $100k up front and nearly $1mm to-date, that's probably a price a lot of people would take in order to backstab a friend. Sad if you ask me, really is.

Also, I agree with the comment that McGwire is no better... I guess I am in the camp of forgetting how it use to be and who he really was, which shows how good of a PR team he has, etc.

Why do you think Topps put him back into product?!

Depends on which friend LMAO all kidding aside. Even with all the turmoil surrounding McGwire, he has a big following. Topps sees $ and that is all that matters.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I am surprised at how forgiving everyone is of McGwire and ripping on Canseco. Leaving Canseco out of it. McGwire was a classless fool back in the day and just because he is back in baseball really means nothing. I guess people want to believe that "we're not here to talk about the past" (remember that doozy). He is as much NOT a man as Canseco. At least Canseco tells the "truth" As for Canseco "calling out his teammates"... Money has a strange way sometimes. If his "teammates weren't cheating then it wouldn't have mattered.

As for the HOF, if McGwire makes it then Clemens, A-Rod and especially BONDS should get in. Not to mention a handful of other steroid era players. Of all the players from that era, BONDS deserves it more than McGwire IMO

As a AROD collector, I would agree that if Mac gets in, all others that were caught up should as well...maybe

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Even though Canseco is a ****** and McGwire hasnt been banned from baseball, McGwire ought to be more upset at MLB for profiting off of his HR's in the 90's. Then when MLB wanted to do something to him about roids, they all the sudden forgot about all the $$$ they made off of he, Sammy & Jr. <<-- not implicating Jr roided up!

Fordman

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts