Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards that were unbelievably hot: Then vs. Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks, I sold out my original stash about 2008 so I actually didn't lose too much. Only started buying again after they went to crap. Picked up a red auto for $20...that was a $750 ish card back in the day!

I pulled a Tristar auto of his. Still have the thing somewhere around here. I was pretty excited because he was one of the few prospects I'd actually heard of.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Since I missed out on those Valiant Puig autos by a few weeks, I am hoping those take a giant dump and I can pick one up later for pennies on the $. As a Dodger, no matter how his career plays out, I want a signature, but I don't want to pay more than I would for most of the HOFers that played for them.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
1995 Bowman's Best Vladimir Guerrero Refractor used to be a small fortune. Not so much anymore
ANY 1998-2000 UD SP Authentic Basketball RC used to be very expensive. Vince Carter was once a $3,200 card.

As someone else alluded to, nearly every card climbs to a level it will never ascertain long term. I think that is part of what being a hot card is about... all flames die out eventually... even the sun! Man, that's depressing!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I still have both of these cards.
twohammers.jpg

To think that the day I pulled the LaPorta it was selling for $160 and I thought it hadn't peaked yet, how silly I was.

And yes, I checked, the LaPorta is still worth more.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I also was never able to get one as a kid. So imagine my joy upon finally nabbing a few years ago, and then having the opportunity to get one signed in person by him along with a ball and a bat for free at a local event. All my auto collecting friends were shuffling around with photos and bats and whatnot (he had no per person auto limit). I wanted my ball and my bat for sure but that rookie card was getting signed first and foremost. Had he told us no on duplicate items, I would have been walking around with a non-auto'd ball and bat the rest of the day. One of my favorite autos ever obtained in person.

Nice story.Where did you meet him?I bought some boxes years ago just for the thrill of pulling that card.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I still have both of these cards.
twohammers.jpg

To think that the day I pulled the LaPorta it was selling for $160 and I thought it hadn't peaked yet, how silly I was.

And yes, I checked, the LaPorta is still worth more.

What set is that MC Hammer out of?I have some Fowler rookies I way overpaid for.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Near the end of 1989, Jereome Walton's 1989 UD card was selling for more than Griffey's. $36 was it's peek, as I recall.

Heh, a raw Griffey doesn't even get that now, but a raw Walton can be found in the 5 cent common box.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Nomo-mania

Going back to 1995 (hard to believe almost 20 years ago now) Hideo Nomo was the biggest thing ever and the biggest of the big was his 1995 Finest Refractor RC. It is a true RC unlike most cards from 90's Finest. I think Topps produced the "update" to Finest that year just to cash in on Nomo. This card sold for over $500+ for a long time with collector demand in the US and Japan. To this day, largely because of Japanese buyers it sells raw in the $80-$100 range.

NomoHideo228PSA9_zps2573373e.png

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Does anyone remember the peak prices on this bad boy?

1994-SP-Alex-Rodriguez-Rookie-Card-212x300.jpg

My god man, AMAZING Aaron sig!

The Arod used to go for $500+ in PSA 9. Just checked...$50 for one nowadays. I guess I should buy one now. Love him or hate him, he's still up there in he history books

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
I can't tell if you're a troll or just a *******

Seriously...Strasburg?

Thats the best you could come up with?

Stephen Strasburg Rookie Auto

He trolls every thread like this and says Strasburg...

He's just another 12 year old kid that trys to act like he knows what he is talking about by throwing out a name...

Sent from my XT1060 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks JH! I need to update it, not sure how wide I can go or if I should add a 2nd row (don't want it to look obnoxious lol)

I believe you can do 5 vertical cards and 3 horizontal cards in those holders and they'll match up size-wise

IIIII
---

Scanned like that

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
1990 Score #697 Bo Jackson. Quite possibly the hottest non rookie card, non error card of all time (especially in the junk wax era). These were an easy sell at $8-10.
bo.JPG

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Near the end of 1989, Jereome Walton's 1989 UD card was selling for more than Griffey's.
$36 was it's peek, as I recall.
Heh, a raw Griffey doesn't even get that now
Yah, Griffey's another example.
I just checked eBay completed sold auctions, and dozens of raw '89 UD Griffey rookies have sold for under $20 in the past month.
You can easily buy one for $17 now.

Members online