Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Just to put a nail in this coffin, it is not exposure to sunlight that turns the 1999 EX base cards into a even shade of gold. Here is a scan of the base card, which I put in the windowsill at the beginning of June (I wrote the date on it in blue sharpie) and the same card today. I wrote the date on it again with the same sharpie. The marker faded badly enough that it's pretty much gone, but the plastic card "stock" remains crystal clear.

IMG_zpskfugjabj.jpg
IMG_0001-001_zpsodyi1zxe.jpg

Dec 4, 2008
Just to put a nail in this coffin, it is not exposure to sunlight that turns the 1999 EX base cards into a even shade of gold. Here is a scan of the base card, which I put in the windowsill at the beginning of June (I wrote the date on it in blue sharpie) and the same card today. I wrote the date on it again with the same sharpie. The marker faded badly enough that it's pretty much gone, but the plastic card "stock" remains crystal clear.

IMG_zpskfugjabj.jpg

Awesome controlled experiment! I love stuff like this. Now that we know it wasn't the sun, maybe you can try chain smoking for the next month and blowing your smoke onto the cards to see if that is what causes yellowing. Kidding. ;)

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014

IMG_zpskfugjabj.jpg

I don't think what you have said is correct. It was not protocol at Fleer to create two cards for the MPs and hold one as a replacement. Further, if you look at the uncut MP basketball sheets someone posted the link too, none of them were stamped with the final lettering. So it Fleer did not stamp the cards on their end unless they had a reason too. In the Griffey case, there was none. The person who commented about using SCG is right. The person who is sending all these through Probsetin knows the major graders have graded these already. SCG is a third rate grading company, they have no business grading cards like this.

I am working directly with the lead Fleer designer and head of production, where were there from 1989-2001. We are jointly working on a comprehensive project to clear up all this miss information in the hobby around uncut sheets, replacement cards, etc. It will cover all the three sports and focus on about 30 different sets. The plan is to provide a authentication service, for free, in order to clean up the hobby. They are not happy them selves with what is going on, as much of the great cards they have created and their life work is being ruined. Basketball has even worse outright fraud. They both are collectors as well.

There will be more to come at the end of the year on the entire project. It has taken about a year so far to compile all the information but it will clear up so much of the hobby misinformation around certain cards. For example, the reason why some of the 1998 and 1998 EX cards are yellow is due to a gloss coating over the cards that has turned yellow due to heat and or light. Not because there was a gold prototyp version. They actually did not want to use the coating for that reason, but every time they printed the cards, they kept on getting scratched, so the only way to prevent this was using the coating. This comes directly from the Fleer people when I asked about this particular situation. I have seen threads through the years wondering. No one knows these card better than the two people I am working with. So this hopefully will add some credibility to the project. Some interesting hobby stories will be published as well and little known facts on cards in general. As another example, why certain players appeared in some sets while others did not...

Intriguing

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If 6 weeks in a window doesn't turn them at all, what type of light or heat exposure created them? Are they oven baked? (Slight kidding)

Ryan

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

I think your experiment is a good start; however it only answers the question of what happens to a '98 EX that's left in the sun for 2 months. There are still some validity questions:

What if discoloration takes longer than 2 months?
What about running the experiment for two versions of the same player?
Can we assume the outcome(s) will be the same for all players/all other cards in the set?

The info that [MENTION=12505]Collect[/MENTION] provided is also an interesting and contradicting piece of info.

Given all this, I don't think a general or generalizable conclusion can be made at this point.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have seen a number of acetate cards turn yellow over time. I wondered if it had to do with the soft sleeves, as I had several yellow that were stored in boxes in what was basically a temp controlled environment. They were in soft sleeves. Same can be said for top loaders that turn yellow/orange after a while. Maybe something in the plastic just naturally discolors after enough time?

Here is one that has discolored. I took this photo from the internet, it is not my card.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3970.JPG
    IMG_3970.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 277

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I wish that was a nail in the coffin, but it's just not. Have you tried 2 months in a penny sleeve and toploader? The conditions required to cause an acetate card to turn gold are spoken in hyperbole. We don't know the exact conditions, but logically it requires some catalyst of heat and/or light for some undisclosed amount of time. I have multiple copies of many acetate cards that show a variety of yellowing, and I can't define exactly how.

Dec 18, 2008
I think your experiment is a good start; however it only answers the question of what happens to a '98 EX that's left in the sun for 2 months. There are still some validity questions:

What if discoloration takes longer than 2 months?
What about running the experiment for two versions of the same player?
Can we assume the outcome(s) will be the same for all players/all other cards in the set?

The info that [MENTION=12505]Collect[/MENTION] provided is also an interesting and contradicting piece of info.

Given all this, I don't think a general or generalizable conclusion can be made at this point.

So this guy mentions 1998 ex and you tested 1999?..I didn't go back and read the thread at that point to see if he meant 1999, but that would be a problem right off the bat if this was directed at 1998 ex and you test 1999.

The EX's that turned color were probably left in storage units or garages or something in the heat for years. 2 months in the sun was a good idea, but can't compare to years in a storage unit or garage, etc.

The other things that were mentioned are all factual and all of the fraudulent activities will come to light when someone can provide proof of the poor aftermarket stamped 1/1s versus the real 1/1s that has been occurring for a few years now. It has ruined the masterpiece values because of the lack of proof of a mp being real or not. It seems to have started with basketball cards and moved to football and baseball. The biggest problem is the trust that is placed to the current grading companies. They are not doing as thorough of a job as people assume they do.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I know in reference to old top loaders, every single old top loader I have seen has some sort of yellowing going on. Heat exposure or not(I'm talking about finding these things at places where there is no air conditioning and places where there is air conditioning). I'm leaning towards it either being a light exposure thing or maybe just due to the chemical makeup?

Dec 4, 2008
It is a much famed diffractor. Check out the 98 Tek message board for approx 4,000 posts on the topic. :)

Est 5-10 of each pattern exists and very actively collected.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Something really cool 😉

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know why they are turned to the side like that.

Griffey 1998 Leaf R&S Longevity and the Extreme Measures Die Cut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 199

Members online