Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards you own and think someone out there is dying to own, yet you can't or wont let them go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sorry if this has been done before. I thought I would see what kinds of responses are out there, both the items out of reach to other collectors, but also the reasoning why you are not ready, willing or able to part with them. I've tried to grab up a few cards that were tucked into collections, sometimes with success, but often without. I'll start it out with a story that was a recent success. It has not yet arrived, but a former ebay rival of mine recently trading me the last bronze parallel I needed from the Timeless teams Set.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/2014/01/2004-upper-deck-timeless-teams-10-year.html

He only had 1 of the 4 bronze cards and it just happened to be the only one I needed and he was gracious enough to trade it to me for one I had duplicates of. This doesn't always happen out there though. In fact, it may be a rare exception to the rule, but I wanted to tell the story all the same .

I know there are a lot of serious player collectors here who appreciate the difficulty in obtaining those unique and hard to find cards of their players, but with competition, unopened wax and such, there has to be a realization that you just can't own it all.

Now that said, most people here don't just part with anything non-________ (fill in the blank with your favorite players or sets) and only keep what they really love. There are people who don't want to sell/trade anything they obtain for one reason or another. There are others who may want to build a set or start a player collection themselves and pull or happen upon something really special. Any 1/1 that is pulled is probably burning a hole in someone else's collection out there.

Not trying to create animosity among collectors, but I am curious to see what types of things people are socking away, knowing full well that someone out there would break the bank for those very items given the chance.

I'll share one that might be sought by a variety of Rickey Henderson collectors. Given the print run of 5, someone is left wanting on this one. I'm sure I have never even mentioned having this card in my collection before. I should also note that Henderson and Garvey have shared a few cards over the years that have created some fierce competition among the various collectors as well, luckily not too many, but this is just a plain Rickey card. The reason why I keep it is that it is my only certified Henderson auto and I collect HOF autos, but especially because I wanted a signed Dodger card of his, I loved the design (dufex rules) and the price was right, although I don't remember how much I paid. It's not even that great of a signature, with a sticker that is poorly centered within the windows, but it's still a keeper. Not sure if he has other certified Dodger cards out there, as once I got this I stopped looking for them, but I probably wouldn't like any replacement over this one.

2005 (I think, text is too small on back) Zenith bat/auto #2 /5.

Please share some cards you have locked in the vault that others may or may not be aware of (and desire) and let us know why these are off the table.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
maris.jpg

and this one.. :lol:

john-tesh.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Although I collect all Yankees my main focus is Paul O’neill. Since I joined this site I stumbled on a few Bernie Williams collectors. I do pick Bernie up as I go along but I do not go out of my way or get involved in bidding wars to add his stuff to my collection. I do have 1/1’s of him of different years but the ones that probably will never leave my collection are the 90s ones:
Bernie1998SportsIllustrated125oneofone.jpg

Bernie1998Fkairrow151oneofome.jpg

Bernie1999Flaireow3omeofome.jpg

This one was an impulse buy of my favorite parallel set in the 90s. I do not own a single one so I pulled the trigger when I saw Bernie. I think it came from a member here at FCB. I will be waiting at the mailbox for this one:
image-101.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Although I collect all Yankees my main focus is Paul O’neill. Since I joined this site I stumbled on a few Bernie Williams collectors. I do pick Bernie up as I go along but I do not go out of my way or get involved in bidding wars to add his stuff to my collection. I do have 1/1’s of him of different years but the ones that probably will never leave my collection are the 90s ones:
Bernie1998SportsIllustrated125oneofone.jpg

Bernie1998Fkairrow151oneofome.jpg

Bernie1999Flaireow3omeofome.jpg

This one was an impulse buy of my favorite parallel set in the 90s. I do not own a single one so I pulled the trigger when I saw Bernie. I think it came from a member here at FCB. I will be waiting at the mailbox for this one:
image-101.jpg

Awesome stuff kevin. I learned a long time ago i coudnt have every bernie card out there. I love seeing them though. I have a few i would trade that im sure other bernie collectors may want. This being one there are only 30 and i have two

And this is one that will never leave

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Part of the fun of owning them is letting people believe they're still out there to be pulled :evil:

I see it as they are out there waiting to be listed on ebay. For every person who says they'll never part with a card, 10 are doing so right this very second.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Most items have a price. I let a couple pretty unique Frank Thomas items go when i was collecting him, but needed some money. I still feel regret over it, as I generally don't deal away my items to this point. I'm sure if enough money was offered, anything in my collection would relocate. You need that serious mind blowing offer and you also need to be in a position to need/want the money as well.

I had a guy try to buy a prototype bobble head I had won. He kept offering more and more, but I really didn't need extra money at the time and wanted to keep the item. He may have been the only guy out there who wanted this thing besides me though and i may never see another offer on it again.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Here are a few I get occasional PMs about.

#d to /5 on-card auto

This card holds more sentimental value to me than ANY other card I own. Yes, even Mr. Clemente.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ty, what is the sentimental angle to that card? Howard is a nice auto to have for AS collectors and those minis are cool and #'d to 10 is fantastic, but what makes it so special to you?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Ty, what is the sentimental angle to that card? Howard is a nice auto to have for AS collectors and those minis are cool and #'d to 10 is fantastic, but what makes it so special to you?

I was over here in Japan talking with my mom on the phone from the US. Had just opened a box of A&G a pulled a rip card. My mom didnt know anything about cards, but when I explained what a rip card was, she got excited and was like "rip it! I know there's something good inside!" I did and pulled that red ink Howard. We both went nuts and it was just a great memory. My mom died from cancer about three years ago. This card is just one reminder of all the great memories I have with her. You could offer me $100,000 and I would not part with it. Some things just go beyond cash value :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sorry to hear. that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for here in this thread through. those not readily apparent reasons why we might cling to a card that otherwise might just be a trading commodity.

I don't have many items like this. Unless they are part of an oddball set, a Dodger card or Steve Garvey is on the card…all of which are items I collect and reason enough not to part with, it is that other items that defy reason for someone to keep otherwise.

I was over here in Japan talking with my mom on the phone from the US. Had just opened a box of A&G a pulled a rip card. My mom didnt know anything about cards, but when I explained what a rip card was, she got excited and was like "rip it! I know there's something good inside!" I did and pulled that red ink Howard. We both went nuts and it was just a great memory. My mom died from cancer about three years ago. This card is just one reminder of all the great memories I have with her. You could offer me $100,000 and I would not part with it. Some things just go beyond cash value :)

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
I think this is the only one I have that someone out there would be "dying" to own. Only 10 in the world and I'm sure there are alot more people who attempted to put the 05 ATTF set together. However, while not a player, I feel that Sheppard holds a special place in Yankee history and I would never consider my Yankee auto collection complete without it, so I don't see myself letting it go anytime soon.

And maybe these two due to the number of serious Bernie and Mo collectors out there. However, I would consider letting them go for another special Posada card (i.e. Bat Barrel, MLB logo, unique 1/1). So while not impossible for me to let go, it would be highly unlikely to get something I would need in return.

/5

1/1 (this was actually a major steal for me as I picked it up for only $100)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I think given an opportunity I could find one card from any collection that I'd want. Some more than others and I know a lot of mine would fit nicely into others collections. This one comes to mind more than any other I own
Horrible pic, Christy Mathewson pants card
2012-02-13171704.jpg

Members online