Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

St. Louis Cardinals Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Feb 28, 2012
Syracuse

I think so. I saw him this past year in the NY Penn League. Nice swing. Move to catcher will probably help him as a prospect-wise. BA actually answered my question in the latest chat:

Andy (Syracuse): Will a switch to catcher hurt or help Carson Kelly prospect status? If he hits, a top 100 prospect next year?
John Manuel: It was factored in for the book and when we did the Cardinals top 10 in the fall. It would clearly help. He’s very young and might have been a regular at 3b, but catcher makes sense for his lack of speed. Obviously playing catcher is harder than playing third base so we’ll see how he looks after trying to actually play it in games. I like Kelly, but the Cardinals made a nice heist of Randal Grichuk from the Angels in the Freese-Bourjos deal, and that pushed Kelly out of the Top 10.

Feb 28, 2012
Syracuse

I think so. I saw him this past year in the NY Penn League. Nice swing. Move to catcher will probably help him as a prospect-wise. BA actually answered my question in the latest chat:

Andy (Syracuse): Will a switch to catcher hurt or help Carson Kelly prospect status? If he hits, a top 100 prospect next year?
John Manuel: It was factored in for the book and when we did the Cardinals top 10 in the fall. It would clearly help. He’s very young and might have been a regular at 3b, but catcher makes sense for his lack of speed. Obviously playing catcher is harder than playing third base so we’ll see how he looks after trying to actually play it in games. I like Kelly, but the Cardinals made a nice heist of Randal Grichuk from the Angels in the Freese-Bourjos deal, and that pushed Kelly out of the Top 10.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

Thought it was a decent deal, so I took it.Did Swagerty ever recover from injury?

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
If Neshek makes the club it will be great. I know he was signed to a minor league contract though. Me and my dad have always wanted neshek in a cardinals uniform

Sent from my ADR6350 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Krangry

Mar 6, 2012
I know im a bit late, and dont read this all that often, but i dont get all of the Wong hate? Kid has been great at every level in the batters box, and has a great glove.

Where in Stl did you play ball that you hit 90+mph pitching? Please dont tell me in a cage, or out of a machine. I am from Stl and played with the best of the best growing up and never faced that kind of pitching. Not sure how you could say that by playing HS ball you could even touch a ball in the majors.

I think you love Descalso, and are pissed that Wong means he will be nothing more then a utility bench guy, which is what he should be. To say he wont bat 225, and will be bad in the field is laughable. Hell, Descalso barely hit over 225 in 2012, and 2013.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I know im a bit late, and dont read this all that often, but i dont get all of the Wong hate? Kid has been great at every level in the batters box, and has a great glove.

Where in Stl did you play ball that you hit 90+mph pitching? Please dont tell me in a cage, or out of a machine. I am from Stl and played with the best of the best growing up and never faced that kind of pitching. Not sure how you could say that by playing HS ball you could even touch a ball in the majors.

I think you love Descalso, and are pissed that Wong means he will be nothing more then a utility bench guy, which is what he should be. To say he wont bat 225, and will be bad in the field is laughable. Hell, Descalso barely hit over 225 in 2012, and 2013.

It's easy to give up on (insert prospect here) when they initially struggle after getting called up.Hell, Garciaparra "never looked comfortable at the plate", and he was one of the best at his position for years.And no, not comparing Wong to Garciaparra.He is one example of a player who constantly moved around in the batter's box.

Welcome back.Good to see you getting involved again.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I can hit it from a machine and I have friends who throw in the 90s playing college ball. I also know people who play in the frontier league that can throw 90 plus. Watching Wong he will be nothing. He will be back in the minors by the end of the year. He will not be XXXX.

Krangry

Mar 6, 2012
It's easy to give up on (insert prospect here) when they initially struggle after getting called up.Hell, Garciaparra "never looked comfortable at the plate", and he was one of the best at his position for years.And no, not comparing Wong to Garciaparra.He is one example of a player who constantly moved around in the batter's box.

Welcome back.Good to see you getting involved again.

I have gotten out of cards for the most part, and into GU, but still love to see the stuff you guys pick up. Am in Blues mode atm :). I will admit im a huge Kolten fan. And HOPE he does great. He is going to have the pickoff stain, like Holliday had the ball the the groin stain, and hopefully can let that leave his mind completely. I cant wait to see him with a lot of at bats, going to be awesome to have someone with a lot of speed on the base paths.

Krangry

Mar 6, 2012
I can hit it from a machine and I have friends who throw in the 90s playing college ball. I also know people who play in the frontier league that can throw 90 plus. Watching Wong he will be nothing. He will be back in the minors by the end of the year. He will not be XXXX.

Ok, you know people that throw 90, or you can hit live 90 mph pitching? Machine pitching even if it says "90 mph" likely isnt. Also its nothing more then timing. A good machine always comes in the same spot, and you see the coach putting the ball in. We are talking about a kid who sure as hell hit 90mph pitching very well in the minors coming up and having to face the best of the best in limited plate appearances. For being someone who follows baseball a lot, and have been watching for a long time, you really seem uneducated in it.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Ok, you know people that throw 90, or you can hit live 90 mph pitching? Machine pitching even if it says "90 mph" likely isnt. Also its nothing more then timing. A good machine always comes in the same spot, and you see the coach putting the ball in. We are talking about a kid who sure as hell hit 90mph pitching very well in the minors coming up and having to face the best of the best in limited plate appearances. For being someone who follows baseball a lot, and have been watching for a long time, you really seem uneducated in it.

You're the one who is trying to tell me what I've done. You don't know me. You don't know who I have faced in my life what pitching I've seen and you sure as hell never seen me play. I hit the ball well enough and played well. However I will end by saying we will see what happens with Wong. But don't get pissed when I'm right and you're Wong.

Krangry

Mar 6, 2012
You're the one who is trying to tell me what I've done. You don't know me. You don't know who I have faced in my life what pitching I've seen and you sure as hell never seen me play. I hit the ball well enough and played well. However I will end by saying we will see what happens with Wong. But don't get pissed when I'm right and you're Wong.

I wont be pissed. There is a reason We picked up Mr Ellis :). I cant wait for spring.

I do know that unless you have played elite baseball that you havent faced elite pitching. And if you cant field then you didnt play elite baseball. Simple process of elimination. Regardless, im not here to attack you, or anyone else, i could care less what level of ball you played, but i played slaba / legion / etc, and never faced that kind of pitching other then once in a blue moon. I personally like Descalso a lot, and have a couple of his bats. I hope Wong is great, his speed and defense is exactly what the Dr Ordered.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Saying you don't think a guy is going to succeed at the major league level is one thing. There are a lot more prospects that don't succeed than ones that do. Don't try and draw parallels to your own ability though; it just doesn't hold water.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I have gotten out of cards for the most part, and into GU, but still love to see the stuff you guys pick up. Am in Blues mode atm :). I will admit im a huge Kolten fan. And HOPE he does great. He is going to have the pickoff stain, like Holliday had the ball the the groin stain, and hopefully can let that leave his mind completely. I cant wait to see him with a lot of at bats, going to be awesome to have someone with a lot of speed on the base paths.

What game used stuff have you got?Blues are having a good season again, still don't think they beat the better teams in the conference in the playoffs though.My buddy and I saw Wong play in Springfield 2 years ago and in Futures Game, think he will be good.That was tough seeing him get picked off in the World Series, but I thought he handled it well and will learn from it.Yes, the team has been lacking speed for a number of years, and I think Wong and Bourjos will be able to create more runs than the guys they replaced.Looking forward to the season.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Pick this up Thrifting this morning. PM if interested.

$_57.JPG

Members online

Latest posts