Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When did these get so cheap? 05 BDP Zim Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I know his prices have dropped but not this much. I picked up both of these for $142 total. I remember when these were double that for one.

One of my favorite Bowman sets and the same seller had two of them so i had to have them. I sold a BGS 9 Xfractor auto like two years ago for more than i paid for one of these. lol

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
I absolutely love the support and friendliness on this board (especially you GT250).
It increases my hope for humankind, and with my health problems it helps me
through my day. Huzzah all. BTW, nice pickups. A tad jealous here...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That seems like a great deal. Zimmerman has been a forgotten player this season. Kind of wish he'd been able to stay healthy over the years. Seems like he would be a real star if he could maintain his health.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Zim is a veteran destine for the hall of pretty good.

No longer a prospect or a young rising star, no more room to grow in to something more. He is what he is, and never really gained any real level of sport wide popularity to keep demand over the years. To be honest, I expect his stuff to continue to fall.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have an '05 BCDP Zimmerman X-Fractor autograph that I pulled from a Target blaster in 2005.
A few months ago, I checked eBay and was surprised to see how inexpensive they are now.

But then I thought about it, and realized that there's a good reason Zimmerman's rookies are so cheap.
After several good, but not great seasons, investors now know Zimmerman has a very slim chance of making the Hall of Fame.
So investors have stopped paying big money for his cards since they know, barring several unlikely monster years, Zimmerman has no shot at the Hall.

His card prices will likely remain low and even decline over the course of his career.
Even if Zimmerman stats pick up and the Nationals even make a World Series, he'll still be on the hobby level of someone like Paul Konerko or Adrian Beltre.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Zim saw this thread and some of your comments and hit a bomb. lol

i understand what you guys are saying and realize once the prospectors are out of the equation prices go down. But like topnotchsy said the injuries have kind of been a factor.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Zim saw this thread and some of your comments and hit a bomb. lol

i understand what you guys are saying and realize once the prospectors are out of the equation prices go down. But like topnotchsy said the injuries have kind of been a factor.
Injuries have been a factor and Zimmerman, while likely not a future HOFer has a really solid fan base and following so I would be extremely comfortable buying in at that price without even particularly liking the cards, knowing that there's a good chance they could see a nice spike sometime along the way.

A HOF career is one way to see big prices, but there are guys (Will Clark, Donnie Baseball amongst others) who gained massive followings. While Zimmerman is not near there league, he has a larger following than many. (Another 3B guy who may have a better shot at the Hall, but right now looks like he could fall short is Longoria who also has a great following (although advanced metrics love Longoria so if those become more popular it will help his case.)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Of pertinent concern - Zimmerman has had throwing problems in recent years and maybe a first baseman through the second half of his career.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
I remember when his regular BDP Chrome auto - not X, nor blue - were $90. I know because I bought one way back when...

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Sharing the stage with Bryce Harper and Strasburg for the last few years couldn't have helped his name rise above the fray for popularity in the hobby, on that team.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Zim is a veteran destine for the hall of pretty good.

No longer a prospect or a young rising star, no more room to grow in to something more. He is what he is, and never really gained any real level of sport wide popularity to keep demand over the years. To be honest, I expect his stuff to continue to fall.

I agree this may be part of it - the player part.

Another part of the equation is that the market itself - did the market in 2005 likely overemphasize or distort what future markets would be like? In other words, are we witnessing a market correction? As more and more accurate information about what the general market is like comes to bear, it will be interesting to see the extent the market on current prospects changes to better reflect reality. Granted ebay isn't a real market, but it's still fun to watch.

Latest posts