Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: 1988 T&M Sports oddball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I recently picked this 1988 T&M Sports Kirby Puckett card up. I had never seen it before but I have seen it on a few checklists. Is it just another unlicensed "Broder Type" card?
img477.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Standard size? Wasn't there a bunch of 8x10s that were sold in that design around that time frame as well or is it just reminding me of a similar design?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Standard size? Wasn't there a bunch of 8x10s that were sold in that design around that time frame as well or is it just reminding me of a similar design?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Yeah its standard size. The design is kind of familiar now that mention it. I might have to dig out my photos and look through them.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Yeah in my online searches all that came up were the umpire cards. Do you have a standard catalog by chance to see how it was released?

It was a boxed set like most of the Senior League sets, sold through dealers.

Do I have a Standard Catalog by chance....
PxXqWRLxAFCfTaNtmi-kb5M_0qHKKmR76x-3tXAWFYNbUAGm0JNLFkAa1cpuyivuQoltzuZg5hA=w1207-h559-no

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Well I see now that was a dumb question haha. Is there a checklist?

If you mean the Senior League set, yes, and it is available on both SCF's Inventory Manager and TradingCardDB.com. If you mean these 1988 promos, no. Neither Beckett, nor SCD acknowledge them. My usual suggestion in such cases would have been to ask Bob Lemke, but alas. Rich Klein would probably be the next guru I'd ask.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
If you mean the Senior League set, yes, and it is available on both SCF's Inventory Manager and TradingCardDB.com. If you mean these 1988 promos, no. Neither Beckett, nor SCD acknowledge them. My usual suggestion in such cases would have been to ask Bob Lemke, but alas. Rich Klein would probably be the next guru I'd ask.
Unfortunately I dont know who that is. I was gonna ask tpiechel but he hasn't been active for awhile

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Unfortunately I dont know who that is. I was gonna ask tpiechel but he hasn't been active for awhile

Rich Klein was sort of Beckett's counterpart to Bob Lemke. Bob ran the Standard Catalog for years, and Rich ran the Beckett Almanac for years.
[MENTION=4449]sabrgeek[/MENTION] Have you ever seen this T&M Sports Puckett before?

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Since T and M created their first sets in 1988 (Umpires) and they had fairly wide distribution I would suspect this card is a promo designed to try to get a MLB and/or an MLBPA license. As long as there were 6 or fewer players then cards like that could be created for that purpose. I think Action Packed also did a 1988 Promo in trying to get those licenses. (my memory is fading a bit after all these years)

It was mentioned about the senior league set and the umpire set and they might have done other sets as well. I don't have any real issues with calling this a legit card and if I had seen that card in the days when I was editing the Almanac I would have included that into the Beckett DB.

Sorry for the late reply, but I just saw this notice today.

Rich

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
T&M also released an 8x10 photo version of this card. When I have time to pull out and scan it I will upload it to the thread.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
A Ken Griffey Jr popped up yesterday on eBay! Didn’t realize he was in the set, but it may be a pre-rookie card and looks just as nice as the Puckett. I’m still searching for a Puckett by the way from the set. If anyone has one, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Yeah, no clue. I know very little about the set myself. Matching 8”x10” color photos with what appears to be the same image and without the T&M Sports pennant logo on the front. The Puckett is numbered 505, the Griffey that’s listed on eBay is numbered 516 in the set. It could be a big set if it goes all the way to 516 or more. If it was some sort of prototype set for a MLB license perhaps a smaller sample of cards were printed? Did Dawson have an 8”x10” photo from the set?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app