Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This Omar Vizquel stuff has gotten just stupid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Last year I came in contact with the Thome buyer as he just was starting out. He funded my entire Griffey collection. He would literally overnight me cash sometimes. In about 6 months I made about 50k from him and I wasn't the only guy he was buying from. He was tons of stuff off eBay at the same time. It was just sheer luck I got outbid on 3 Thome cards and asked the seller to contact him. I sold my intitial Thome collection to him for $800 I paid $300 for. If I knew how much he really would of paid it was worth like 10k to him!

We can all hope to mind someone like that one day. Could be drug money, money laundering, won the lotto and bored who knows!

I am right their with you...and I agree, I dream of having someone like this who has cash to burn and will pay astronomical figures for certain cards just because. That still doesn't take away from the stupidity of burning what is probably in excess of 100K on cards that could/should have cost them 10K if they were smart about it.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
just because someone has money to burn, overpaying 50x for every card is not very smart. Are they capable, sure, is it smart? Come on really.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Are they being smart about their approach... Yes or NO??? What is your answer?

Maybe just maybe they want to lock up the card right away in case it doesn't show up again. I do this all the time. I'm going to let the vizquel guys speak for themselves. Since they keep paying lots of money they must think it's a good idea. So since they think it's a good idea I will say it's smart. I might not do the same thing they do, but I know at times I have paid huge sums for cards everyone else says is stupid. But I was happy to aquire the card at the "stupid price"

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I wish all players got that kind of money for their cards. For 1 you would not have some so called super collector say I have 630 1/1's of this or that player. {that they only paid 1-2 bucks each for} and for 2 I could retire right now.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Maybe just maybe they want to lock up the card right away in case it doesn't show up again. I do this all the time. I'm going to let the vizquel guys speak for themselves. Since they keep paying lots of money they must think it's a good idea. So since they think it's a good idea I will say it's smart. I might not do the same thing they do, but I know at times I have paid huge sums for cards everyone else says is stupid. But I was happy to aquire the card at the "stupid price"

To me..... Smart for these guys would be to pull out of the market. let the cards plummet like no other. then when all the sellers realize there Holy Grail Vizquel cards arent drawing such huge ass amounts. They would all drop their prices. To me, that would be smart. I would bet that 95% of these sellers would rather make 10% of what they have listed these cards for then bury them away. To me. That would be smart. To each his own I guess.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
LOL...drew this and listed it last year. Think it reached $16 at auction. Guy paid right away.
16184773106_db36e1d25a.jpg

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
nice. If i was good at customs.... (Mouschi) :). i would make a unique 1/1 of Vizquel and make a killing... Or a custom superfractor and really kill it.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
See...here's where the stupidity comes to the fore.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371566174776&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361504221380&alt=web

Look at the top two bidders.

So not only are they spending stupid amounts of money, but also, either one or both of them is hoarding multiple copies and/or ****ing each other over just because.

There's a third copy that sold high as hell.

If this doesn't illustrate his point of stupidity, idk what does.

yeah it was like that with Ripken stuff when i first started...back when you had all out bidding wars over the coarse of a week with up to 20 bidders fighting it out. Most times for just basic inserts.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
yeah it was like that with Ripken stuff when i first started...back when you had all out bidding wars over the coarse of a week with up to 20 bidders fighting it out. Most times for just basic inserts.

Right, that's an INCREDIBLY popular player.

This is two dudes...two.

One of whom already has a copy of the card, and he's still bidding the other dude up to a ridiculous price.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
At this point it's clearly a wiener-measuring contest with these two collectors. They probably hate each other and just can't stand the thought of the other guy getting a Vizquel for a "deal". They probably relish the thought of being the first to own a particular card and absolutely cannot stand the thought of losing an auction. They're paying $1 for the card itself and $499 to screw the other guy over. Evidently $500 to them is like 50 cents to us, at least I would hope so for their sake. It would make sense for one of them to step away and let the market calm down then bid logically, but they cannot stand the thought of missing out on a card they don't have, especially when it goes into the collection of somebody they hate.

The other collector of my player will do this stuff and bid up an auction for a card he already has just so I can pay more, because he doesn't like me. I couldn't give a crap what he pays for a card I already have.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
At this point it's clearly a wiener-measuring contest with these two collectors. They probably hate each other and just can't stand the thought of the other guy getting a Vizquel for a "deal". They probably relish the thought of being the first to own a particular card and absolutely cannot stand the thought of losing an auction. They're paying $1 for the card itself and $499 to screw the other guy over. Evidently $500 to them is like 50 cents to us, at least I would hope so for their sake. It would make sense for one of them to step away and let the market calm down then bid logically, but they cannot stand the thought of missing out on a card they don't have, especially when it goes into the collection of somebody they hate.

The other collector of my player will do this stuff and bid up an auction for a card he already has just so I can pay more, because he doesn't like me. I couldn't give a crap what he pays for a card I already have.

totally agree with the weiner comment. lol. but it is totally ASININE. They probabaly own those monster trucks too. haha

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
These prices are crazy

Anyone sold to one of these guys? Were the addresses in Venezuela? Was it shipped to H. Chavez by any chance?