Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dynasty - The Illusion of Scarcity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Not knocking this year's Dynasty at all, I think it turned out far superior to last year's. In fact, I spent more on my '15 Dynasty 1/1 than on any single card I've ever bought.

But keeping track of all the cards I came up with a nice visual example of the false scarcity these card companies are presenting. Below are 43 out of 144 available RJ cards from this year, 29.9% of the print run. Again, not knocking this great set, but just something to think about before falling for the "only 10 made!".

dynasty_01.jpg

dynasty_02.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Serial numbering limited print runs into more limited /'s but basically the same card is what the card companies have succeeded at.

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Not a fan of the inflated prices for Dynasty and I am glad Dawson has yet to be included in this product.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
It all depends on what you think about the different player variations. My self I have bought some byron Buxton and he has 5 different picture variations. So technically he has 75 cards. Well I don't think he has 75 cards I view it as each variation is truly different. So I want one of every buxton variation so his print run is limited to 5 and 10.

It all depends on how you collect the product. For myself they are limited

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I still think this is the biggest shafting from a card company ever, at least from the standpoint of the Garvey cards. 1/1. Technically, yes. However, count the 98 other stat lines, all of which are also 1/1s and you have a card that is basically an issue of 99. Same image, the only difference being a small box of text describing a different statistical feat! they started out selling in the $100+ range and at one point were down to $10-15 before they dried up. Now if one surfaces, it is likely a $50+ card.

Other players apparently had different print runs, so some were more select that Garvey. I borrowed a scan to show the card style only.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 173

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I still think this is the biggest shafting from a card company ever, at least from the standpoint of the Garvey cards. 1/1. Technically, yes. However, count the 98 other stat lines, all of which are also 1/1s and you have a card that is basically an issue of 99. Same image, the only difference being a small box of text describing a different statistical feat! they started out selling in the $100+ range and at one point were down to $10-15 before they dried up. Now if one surfaces, it is likely a $50+ card.

Other players apparently had different print runs, so some were more select that Garvey. I borrowed a scan to show the card style only.

I have a couple of the Dawsons from this. I actually like these cards and like the stats on them, but I can't shell out 1/1 money for them when there are so many of them.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
When '15 Dynasty surfaced, I, too, scoffed at the variations ... and the price! I just looked at the numbers. One Canseco with a sick patch /5 popped up for $300 and I thought ... nah. Now I regret not getting it. It isn't just about the picture variation with these; it is about the patch represented. I tried hard to be content with 1 1/1, 1 /5 and 1 /10 but that is out the window. I'm going for each /5 and each /10. The 1/1's all dried up within the first week of release ... I was able to get 2 of them. They are mega gorgeous in person! Pics really don't do them justice!

20151226_094729.jpg

20151231_151709.jpg

20151222_040325.jpg

20151226_162612.jpg

I have 2 others as well not shown that are /5 as well. They are different poses and different patches. If they were just different poses, that would be one thing, but the patches really make everything stand out!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
When '15 Dynasty surfaced, I, too, scoffed at the variations ... and the price! I just looked at the numbers. One Canseco with a sick patch /5 popped up for $300 and I thought ... nah. Now I regret not getting it. It isn't just about the picture variation with these; it is about the patch represented. I tried hard to be content with 1 1/1, 1 /5 and 1 /10 but that is out the window. I'm going for each /5 and each /10. The 1/1's all dried up within the first week of release ... I was able to get 2 of them. They are mega gorgeous in person! Pics really don't do them justice!

20151226_094729.jpg

20151231_151709.jpg

20151222_040325.jpg

20151226_162612.jpg

I have 2 others as well not shown that are /5 as well. They are different poses and different patches. If they were just different poses, that would be one thing, but the patches really make everything stand out!

Those are some sharp cards right there, still glad I'm not over paying for Dawsons though.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's like when 99 Tek came out and people complained the gold #/10s were really #/600. Small differences are one of the cornerstones of the modern hobby.

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA

20151226_094729.jpg

20151231_151709.jpg

20151222_040325.jpg

20151226_162612.jpg

Sweet looking cards......Tempted to just get one! Best regards, David

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks! That is a crown jewel of my collection atm :) My favorite patch I've ever seen from a Canseco card ever.

Those are gorgeous but I love the green tint /5 with the A's patches too! How are the autographs holding up? Any issues? I've heard horror stories about autos smudging or sticking to the inner case. In some cases literally happens in front of people's eyes while the card moves around in the case. Like the ink is still wet on some. Weird but regardless of how, a lot of them are screwed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Those are gorgeous but I love the green tint /5 with the A's patches too! How are the autographs holding up? Any issues? I've heard horror stories about autos smudging or sticking to the inner case. In some cases literally happens in front of people's eyes while the card moves around in the case. Like the ink is still wet on some. Weird but regardless of how, a lot of them are screwed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 1 or 2 where the inner case is smudged but am not worried too much as I could always remove them out and clean the inner case. The autos are fine and sharp.

Members online