Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Donaldson Traded to the Blue Jays For Barreto/Lawrie/Graveman/Nolin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Is Brett Lawrie the new Brett Wallace ? Tons of talent, but always on the move and never putting it all together. AND, constantly hurt.

Heck, no. Wallace just sucks period. Lawrie is very good defensively, can play 2B as well. Mr. Intensity. Still very young. Playing on grass should help.

WaxPax

Oakland is such a revolving door. I'll never understand the fans, u can't root for anyone cuz you know they're leaving.

You've got to given Billy Beane credit for not being afraid to shake up his roster...again. While it must be tough for fans to root for any one player, he seems to always have a team that is competitive on the field. Remember in early 2012, he trades Gio, Cahill (i believe) and Houston Street, and every wrote the A's off as rebuilding. What do they do, they beat out Texas and win the Division....

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
You've got to given Billy Beane credit for not being afraid to shake up his roster...again. While it must be tough for fans to root for any one player, he seems to always have a team that is competitive on the field. Remember in early 2012, he trades Gio, Cahill (i believe) and Houston Street, and every wrote the A's off as rebuilding. What do they do, they beat out Texas and win the Division....

I guess if you consider a team being competitive successful then they're good. It looks like actually winning something would be far more exciting then just getting knocked out in the first round. The whole small payroll thing isn't impressive because it's self imposed, they have money but worry about profits more than a ring, which is why locally I like the giants, they're all about winning.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Heck, no. Wallace just sucks period. Lawrie is very good defensively, can play 2B as well. Mr. Intensity. Still very young. Playing on grass should help.

I hope so, but he reminds me of an infield version of Aaron Rowand. Tons of talent, but, when you can't stay healthy, you can't showcase that talent.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Also the Marlins have two rings since Oakland's last.

Yes, but when Florida turns over their roster, it isn't a piece here and there; it's 1-20 on the 25 man roster. Oakland just does it with one of their top three or four players. That's why they can maintain a sterling record.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Yes, but when Florida turns over their roster, it isn't a piece here and there; it's 1-20 on the 25 man roster. Oakland just does it with one of their top three or four players. That's why they can maintain a sterling record.

But wouldn't u rather have rings than a consistent first round playoff exit?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I love the move for the A's. Donaldson is about to get a huge pay increase going into next season. The A's get Lawrie, who is younger and fantastic defensively as well. He has had some injury issues but maybe getting off the surface in Toronto will help. The A's also pick up two arms and a very promising Jose Reyes type SS prospect. Hard to sell this for A's fans but I think it is the right move.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I personally would love to see the A's get Upton but it's unlikely and they don't need another catcher, they have three they like...

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
A's fans should know by now you can't judge an offseason billy beane trade based on that single trade. This was the first of many trades and acquisitions. He always does this. It's never about one trade, it's never about the future, it's never about now (except the cespedes/lester one - that's why everybody was scratching their heads), it's about all the trades and pieces he is moving throughout the entire offseason for every season. Where is he going with this? My guess is we'll see more of the plan if/when he deals the shark after lester signs. It'll be to one of the teams that loses the bid for lester, has a farm system to spare along with one key player for now to give him.

Basically, those like me are just looking at this trade and saying, OK that was obviously move #1 of some intricate master plan of his, let's see where he goes with this.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Also reported donaldson & beane had some beef last year over donaldson asking for a couple days rest. Melvin said no problem but beane saw JD not in the lineup & demanded Melvin to put him back in. Think it ended with JD calling him "Billy Boy" after a heated argument in the clubhouse

& also a twitter comment where a kid asked JD why he wouldn't take less $$$ so the A's could get more players to hit behind him. Where JD's reply was Oakland has plenty of money

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts