Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "HOLY CRAP!" end-price thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA

I think the $5 was a little overpriced myself. LOL WOW. It surprises me that people don't do just a little bit of research to figure it out. Doesn't take much

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I think the $5 was a little overpriced myself. LOL WOW. It surprises me that people don't do just a little bit of research to figure it out. Doesn't take much

I picked up a Larry Johnson PMG a few years back for $1 at a show, ended up selling it for around $200.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1997-98-metal-universe-precious-metal-1622711267

Too many dealers and sellers have no idea what they're doing. Trying to sell junk for way too much, or missing obvious high-dollar cards like PMGs or Credentials.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

It should be over priced at $5. But older basketball inserts and lower numbered stuff sells well. Hence why I do not collect Stackhouse as much as I once did. There is no Stackhouse card I'd be willing to pay that much for. I watched a precious metal gems go for $300 and some change a while back. Insanity!

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
All I can say is wow I had 2 of these a while ago but that's just a crazy price the one before sold for $270.00 now $515.00. Makes me think about listing my Griffey Rainbow again. I will wait to see what his Silver and Gold sell for though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Leaf-Steel-Derek-Jeter-Steel-Silver-Promo-Sample-/111985020398?hash=item1a12d3cdee%3Ag%3A1VYAAOSwZSFXJtB0&nma=true&si=AS0ZmtjogW9jsT43QDHMoHxKQAA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So now I am curious, I was able to pick this up for a good price.... I think based on the Jeter sale. But why does the Jeter sell for so much more than the Griffey?? Are there way more Griffey's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111991225366?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
So now I am curious, I was able to pick this up for a good price.... I think based on the Jeter sale. But why does the Jeter sell for so much more than the Griffey?? Are there way more Griffey's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111991225366?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They the same print run just might not be as sought out as much as Jeter or all the major Griffey collector's already own this card. But $16.00 for both was a good deal seeing the gold sold for $7.00 alone and I have seen it sell for more. I am sure I could draw some interest listing my Griffey rainbow. But I couldn't let it go on auction knowing what I paid for the Bronze.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111991225366?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I personally don't think we can use that high end, overpriced Jeter as a good comparison for other players. I've sold multiples of basically every player in the set, gold & silver, and Jeter was way above any of those sales. I'm not saying it can't regularly bring $100 but they aren't that rare. They are tough, but not impossible. $500 should be for the impossible types in my eyes. A few years ago, there were multiple sellers dumping silver samples over and over. I picked up a bunch of the Clark at the time but could have had a lot of the players. I still think you got a decent buy on the Griffey lot though. I've sold them individually between $15 and $30 6 or 7 times.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I personally don't think we can use that high end, overpriced Jeter as a good comparison for other players. I've sold multiples of basically every player in the set, gold & silver, and Jeter was way above any of those sales. I'm not saying it can't regularly bring $100 but they aren't that rare. They are tough, but not impossible. $500 should be for the impossible types in my eyes. A few years ago, there were multiple sellers dumping silver samples over and over. I picked up a bunch of the Clark at the time but could have had a lot of the players. I still think you got a decent buy on the Griffey lot though. I've sold them individually between $15 and $30 6 or 7 times.

I was pretty surprised to see the Jeter sell for that amount. I don't know enough about these to really have an opinion that is supported but just based on what I HAVE seen on these promos $500 seems like Vizquelian price!!! LOL

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I was pretty surprised to see the Jeter sell for that amount. I don't know enough about these to really have an opinion that is supported but just based on what I HAVE seen on these promos $500 seems like Vizquelian price!!! LOL

I would say Vizquelian is spot on. We should start using that term, I like it :)

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Puckett sold more than Griffey is what was surprising to me if you look at recent sales of the Silver Promo's quite a few people sold for more than Griffey and these were just the Silver and not both Gold and Silver.

Puckett $43.75
Thomas $32.65
Ripken $23.51
Nomo $24.95

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Puckett sold more than Griffey is what was surprising to me if you look at recent sales of the Silver Promo's quite a few people sold for more than Griffey and these were just the Silver and not both Gold and Silver.

Puckett $43.75
Thomas $32.65
Ripken $23.51
Nomo $24.95

The Puckett guys might weigh in on the matter more intelligently than me, but I would say Puckett outsells Griffey the majority of the time. Even though they don't overlap in many releases, Puckett had and still has some of the most loyal fans in the hobby. Sort of like Will Clark. I've sold Puckett easily for years.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
I don't think there's much of a demand/following for these two particular promos in the Griffey circles - they are not difficult to come by/appear for sale on a regular basis and I have not seen either demand high $$ amounts. I could be wrong; however, I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest otherwise.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I don't think there's much of a demand/following for these two particular promos in the Griffey circles - they are not difficult to come by/appear for sale on a regular basis and I have not seen either demand high $$ amounts. I could be wrong; however, I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest otherwise.

It seems most of the silver promos can be had for less than 10 Bucks, which makes me wonder why the Jeter sold for so much. The most recent one is an anomaly as far as being 500+ but supposedly others have sold for a few hundred which is just strange to me. I am telling you, card prices these days just confuse the hell out of me. I get the timing, supply and demand, etc. But it is a hobby that can be baffling sometimes.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
On those too low prices, it goes to show that you shouldn't use a BIN and asking to have one added is a red flag but fun if you are the one finding them

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Maddux combo sold by same seller for $9.99.

Quite a few sold for around 10 bucks. I picked up a Gwynn for 8 bucks, Bonds for 11 and Griffey Red and Silver for around 16 so I am please with them. IMO I think they are cool cards. I was going to bid on the Maddux but held off as I picked a bit of other stuff up on Sunday.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Also unless you know who bought it personally you don't know it's a real sale. Griffeyguy/90sbasebsllcardcollector has "sold" cards all the time in ended listings that end back up for sale.

Latest posts