Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Reporting: Highly possible no one voted into the HOF this year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So if you cast a blank ballot, that works against everyone up for the HOF correct? It is worse than just not turning one in at all correct?

Sorry, I don't know all the rules 100% as far as voting, etc.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
2014: Frank Thomas, Mike Piazza, and Craig Biggio

Tom Glavine possible ticked off a lot of writers with his take and input on the baseball strike.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
A few notes from having quickly gone through the first pages of the post

There are indeed three people that are going to be inducted this year, but they are all long since dead (so this should be the least crowded induction weekend in recent history).

I disagree about the Rose/Jackson point, as the rules violation is completely different.

This is probably the best possible outcome of voting for this year, in my opinion. It will help clarify the discussion of what induction and voting mean without clouding the discussion of the greatness of any one individual living player who did actually get voted in. I think it will also speed up the induction of several users, which was inevitable in my view anyway.

I have many more thoughts on this, more than I currently have time to type them.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
I think the results here show that the HOF needs to do something about the guys with positive steroid tests. The fact that you have guys who have never been conected with steroids other than they played in the steroid era not getting votes, thats a problem. I guess in baseball innocent until proven guilty is wrong. The fact that people arent voting for Biggio and Piazza likley because they THINK they did steriods is a joke. Biggio/Piazza/Bagwell should be getting more votes.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
2014: Frank Thomas, Mike Piazza, and Craig Biggio

Tom Glavine possible ticked off a lot of writers with his take and input on the baseball strike.

I will agree that Thomas will get in next year... everyone else... not sure

Are you guys even looking at the ballot? Greg Maddux is the biggest lock since Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn. He might break Tom Seaver's voting record.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
I've seen Maddux suggested as a no-brainer for next year. I've heard at least as much suspicion about him scuffing baseballs as I've heard of Piazza/Bagwell using PEDs. For those who don't want suspected PED users in, how about those suspected of cheating in other manners?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think the results here show that the HOF needs to do something about the guys with positive steroid tests. The fact that you have guys who have never been conected with steroids other than they played in the steroid era not getting votes, thats a problem. I guess in baseball innocent until proven guilty is wrong. The fact that people arent voting for Biggio and Piazza likley because they THINK they did steriods is a joke. Biggio/Piazza/Bagwell should be getting more votes.

As uniquebaseballcards keeps rightly pointing out, the voting is and has been subjective. Writers' opinions matter, and that includes an opinion over what a player put into their body while they played. Now, for anybody to pretend that they know who took what when is preposterous. This is why I like this outcome; it is going to cause some much-needed soul-searching from voters.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is my opinion. Someone will get in because its not about the HOF anymore it's about all the revenue generated for Cooperstown businesses during HOF weekend. That's why they will never go without electing at least one person.
The writers vote, not Hall officials.
Why the hell would writers care about revenue for Cooperstown?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen Maddux suggested as a no-brainer for next year. I've heard at least as much suspicion about him scuffing baseballs as I've heard of Piazza/Bagwell using PEDs. For those who don't want suspected PED users in, how about those suspected of cheating in other manners?

Tons of them already in. Gaylord Perry wouldn't be a HOFer without cheating, and he has admitted as much in writing. Moralizers don't care about that, though, and I'm as perplexed as you are. Just too much emotion around "drugs" I guess.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The writers vote, not Hall officials.
Why the hell would writers care about revenue for Cooperstown?

Plus, this is what the veteran's committee is for, and they served their purpose well this year (Hank O'Day, Deacon White, Jacob Ruppert)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Are you guys even looking at the ballot? Greg Maddux is the biggest lock since Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn. He might break Tom Seaver's voting record.

Yea, Maddux scuffed baseballs... NO HOF FOR YOU

Just kidding... I was only saying of those three the guy above me was saying... I think Maddux gets in no problem

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
As uniquebaseballcards keeps rightly pointing out, the voting is and has been subjective. Writers' opinions matter, and that includes an opinion over what a player put into their body while they played. Now, for anybody to pretend that they know who took what when is preposterous. This is why I like this outcome; it is going to cause some much-needed soul-searching from voters.

So your saying the baseball writers should have the ability to decide who took steriods and who didnt. The fact that 2 guys who have NO PROOF they took steriods, and would have been locks if they played at other times didnt get in, that is a joke

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So your saying the baseball writers should have the ability to decide who took steriods and who didnt. The fact that 2 guys who have NO PROOF they took steriods, and would have been locks if they played at other times didnt get in, that is a joke

"Life isn't fair" - Employee of the Month, 2004

Members online