Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf Manziel controversy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
Love the "1st amendment" statement numerous times, but I'm going to use my 1st amendment right and say that I can't believe, as a company Leaf, would have touched something like this. Then you go on TV and pretty much say that you were capitalizing on the hype of Johnny Football, and this would probably be a one time kind of thing. You might not have paid him directly, but no way Manziel never collected $$ on those sigs. NCAA needs to step in and do something about this kid.

Manziel is become a giant *********, I hate saying that with the kid coming from just down the road from my hometown.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just read some articles on it online. Interesting to say the least. If Leaf did in fact acquire from a third party outside of Johnny Football and his family, etc. and the third party had NO idea what they were being used for, then I don't see how Leaf is in the wrong?

Again I'm not a lawyer but I would hope Leaf has documentation about here they got the autos, etc. If so, they're good.

I don't know though, again, I'm not a lawyer.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
From Leaf's end, it's a non-issue if there is no paper trail to them. And there doesn't appear to be a shred of paper linking Manziel and Leaf.

As for the First Amendment rights, Leaf is working within the law and they really don't seem to be tiptoeing around it as they're a full stretch away from questionable.

Is it pushing the envelope? Absolutely. Innovative? Absolutely.

But seriously, in three years, is Manziel going to be anything more than a "former Heisman trophy winner?"

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Hes short and does not have an elite arm

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Missing multiple knee and shoulder surgeries, plus not playing elite big ten defenses hurts his stock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Hes short and does not have an elite arm

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

i

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Mel Kiper on Johnny Frickin' Football
ESPN?s Mel Kiper Jr.: ?(Johnny) Manziel isn?t just a product, he?s a prospect? | College Sports Blog
“I think Manziel has potential to be a first-round pick, and more than a Sumlin creation. This isn’t Case Keenum. In terms of the scouting profile, Manziel’s strengths are his accuracy and ball placement, pocket awareness and maneuverability and command of the system,” Kiper said.

“He’ll be dinged on height, but he’s no shorter than Drew Brees, who could be a good comparison at some point. Arm strength is average, but could certainly improve given his youth. Manziel isn’t just a product, he’s a prospect.”

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
The athletes get an education, room, board, training, handholding, conditioning, unlimited supplies of *****, and an audition to play for the NFL.

and yet that is a fraction of the billions that the NCAA makes off of them.

this is such and outdated argument. ncaa athletes deserve to be compensated fairly, and tuition is not fair anymore. especially for someone of Manziel's stature.

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008

this is such and outdated argument. ncaa athletes deserve to be compensated fairly, and tuition is not fair anymore. especially for someone of Manziel's stature.

But dont most football programs pay for other sports? What loss does a program take on the scholarships for the girls underwater basketweaving team?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

They get a free audition in front of the NFL. That's worth more than anything. The ability to be spotlighted and be drafted and earn millions and millions of dollars.

Members online

Latest posts