Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Good Buys Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I know there's some risk, but Gary Sanchez Chrome Autos are back in the 20.00-22.00 range. I haven't purchased any in a while as I've been holding, but should he show the slightest bit of power and remain a Yankee....

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Brian Mccann blocks him for at least a couple of years...

I hear that. But there still should be some hype. If Sanchez can keep making steps forward this season I'll have sold off long before his callup; what is what the smart money was on with Jesus Montero. People (some we know) held too long.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I hear that. But there still should be some hype. If Sanchez can keep making steps forward this season I'll have sold off long before his callup; what is what the smart money was on with Jesus Montero. People (some we know) held too long.

Oh, dont get me wrong. I've bought a few here and there when the opportunity arises...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Anyone home? :)

Jorge Soler's Chrome autos are still a good buy in the $60 range, as [MENTION=1810]phillyfan0417[/MENTION] no doubt knows.

I bought a couple, but have mainly been saving my funds for upcoming 2014 BC singles and eventually, Draft.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Jorge Soler's Chrome autos are still a good buy in the $60 range, as @phillyfan0417 no doubt knows.

I bought a couple, but have mainly been saving my funds for upcoming 2014 BC singles and eventually, Draft.

I hear that! I am hoping my buddy Jaypers has some influence to get Monte Harrison, Jake Gatewood, or Kodi Medeiros in Bowman Draft! I'll be all over Gatewood at this point.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I hear that! I am hoping my buddy Jaypers has some influence to get Monte Harrison, Jake Gatewood, or Kodi Medeiros in Bowman Draft! I'll be all over Gatewood at this point.

All 3 were on my suggestion list, as Topps usually goes more for 1st rounders than the later rounds (2nd-5th) when compiling their auto CL. I made sure to tell them to utilize a more balanced strategy. Hopefully they listened. If this means an absurdly large auto CL (say, 50-75 players) I can live with it, assuming they didn't crank the presses too much.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I own 53 of them and quietly hoping i get a chance to add more...

Another good buy currently is Dominic Smith.

53!!! Insane. I am currently buying the guy in my sig. Base chromes for under 17.00. I also think Winker with the freak injury is still a steal right now. Have been picking up blue refs for like 45.00.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
After investing a boatload in Kris Bryant as my first true high end attempt and losing my top rated status due to investing heavily in the draft and being forced to move that week, I feel humbled and less knowledgable. While I still expect to make money, I made a lot of mistakes this year and other mistakes from last year that dragged out to this year. I'm not even sure I know what a good buy is anymore.

Soler: I never had much but dumped some before he got hot. Also sold a 9.5 base for over $110. I have no clue if he's a good buy or not, but with only a 9.5 au remaining, I won't mind finishing the stash.

Dom Smith: I agree he's a good buy. There's a lot of trash talk on him on BO for only hitting one HR this year. Yet we have professional evaluators suggesting to not scout this stat line. I'll always trust a professional evaluator over baseball card fans. CJ Edwards is a perfect example of why. With that said, I have no interest in buying Dom Smith at the moment.

Tapia was one I bought at release. as with almost all stashes, i get bored a month after release and stop buying. I was expecting to pay $20/chrome so i ended up with plenty.

One of my goals for the future is to buy only chrome autos/color and only buy at release. It should help me keep my sanity the rest of the year.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Soler always seemed too high of a buy out of the gate to get into.

Why buy at release though? Unless you're snagging the first on the board and setting the price low don't you find that the initial product hype gets in the way a little? I usually wait a month and buy singles in January (regarding Draft).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Buying at release goes both ways. It isn't unusual for me to pay more than I need to but I've also seen instances where the price never goes down, especially for BDP. I do get enjoyment from getting a card early rather than waiting and usually get more impulsive after release. I just paid $120 for a correa refractor auto when i think it was around 100 at release [and increased after] and started wondering why I bid so high when i could have made the money 2 years ago. Also, risk increases as time increases. I can agree with buying a month after release but I'm usually looking for price spikes at that point.

I guess Tapia would be an excellent example to demonstrate my point. I started paying $17-$20 a base auto, but when I was done buying, it cost me $316.34 for 22 autos [avg $14.38 dlvd each]. They look to be about $17 dlvd now, so why not get them earlier?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I recall Dahl being higher than I wanted to buy in on at release and only picked up two base autos. I checked my email and they were $30+ at release. Turns out they're pretty close to $30 each now. They're not way cheaper. But with a healthy season last year, he could have gone the Corey Seager route. I doubt Seager's ever been worth less than he was at release, which was $20 a chrome au.

Now Frazier's a different story. He was one I wanted to buy in on, with the hope that base autos would be at $30 a pop. But at $50/base and $200/blue, I could not justify the risk. Even more stupid is what the prices jumped to a month or two after release! I believe base autos touched $80 and blues somewhere between $300 and $400. Plenty of $ to be made on Frazier from buying at release. The downside is that he wasn't good enough of a prospect to sustain those prices. So while you can pick up Fraziers much cheaper now, you've already missed out on cashing in big time. The downside was the short sell window and holding would have almost guaranteed a loss. I made that mistake with Jonathan Gray, who followed the same price path, as I believed he would be better than he has been.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I recall Dahl being higher than I wanted to buy in on at release and only picked up two base autos. I checked my email and they were $30+ at release. Turns out they're pretty close to $30 each now. They're not way cheaper. But with a healthy season last year, he could have gone the Corey Seager route. I doubt Seager's ever been worth less than he was at release, which was $20 a chrome au.

Now Frazier's a different story. He was one I wanted to buy in on, with the hope that base autos would be at $30 a pop. But at $50/base and $200/blue, I could not justify the risk. Even more stupid is what the prices jumped to a month or two after release! I believe base autos touched $80 and blues somewhere between $300 and $400. Plenty of $ to be made on Frazier from buying at release. The downside is that he wasn't good enough of a prospect to sustain those prices. So while you can pick up Fraziers much cheaper now, you've already missed out on cashing in big time. The downside was the short sell window and holding would have almost guaranteed a loss. I made that mistake with Jonathan Gray, who followed the same price path, as I believed he would be better than he has been.

I believe Dahl base chrome autos were more than that out of the gate. They are 30 now because he's back and playing well. I was picking these up for around 22.00 during the last offseason. But I get that he's had some special circumstances.

I get where you're coming from though. It's odd that some of these guys have initial buy-ins that are outrageous. We should call this the Bubba Starling-effect. :)

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Lucas Giolito Inception Autos are a steal in my mind right now. Anywhere from 9-12 dollars. Chrome have already started to climb but these can be had cheap. I expect Giolito to be the number one pitching prospect in baseball this time next season.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I was also just thinking about how I anticipate Giolito to be the number one pitching prospect next season. But I hate buying stuff for $10 and selling it for $20. I have a good stash remaining, but am uncertain if I want to buy more, what I would buy, or if I don't want to buy anything. Because Chrome autos could have been had for under $20, I feel like my risk level is higher if I buy now.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
J.P. Crawford autos are a value to me right now. Base is around 20.00 a copy and he's young, in a good organizational position, etc. Thoughts? Scored a blue auto for a modest 79.00 today which is a good price point for the guy in my opinion. He's also made a commitment to training for the offseason which should bode well for his power numbers.

In my opinion if prospectors (outside of this group) were smart, they'd forgo the urge to buy at release and look for situations like this. (Getting back to what we were talking about above....)

Members online

Latest posts