Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How would you handle this eBay buyer remorse case...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Everyone knows about eBays return policy that basically covers everything. I got this email from a buyer today and was looking for some opinions on how to handle it:

Good day,

I showed the ****** card to my client.

He had the same issues I have with the card.
The corners show wear.

If I had this card graded, I would be lucky if it came back with a 7.
Instead of making a quick 50 bucks I am left with a card that my client does not want.

Scott

Sale price was about $400.

Do you think eBay would actually side with the seller on this one, since be basically stated that he wanted to return it only because he couldn't make money off of it, as he assumed he could? Or is this still a refund and move on issue?

Thanks for any opinions.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I have not dealt with anything similar and I know eBay operates in strange ways, but did you state anything about the condition in the auction? This could either help or hurt you I am assuming...a BGS 7 is "near mint", depending on your wording regarding the condition you might be able to prove that your condition met what he is claiming.

I'm simply brainstorming, but a possibility.

If you think you can eventually get similar value from the card in the future, the refund might save you the headache.

Either way, good luck. Some buyers on eBay are ridiculous.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
I did not mention anything in the auction about condition, but a picture was posted.

It is a serial numbered card, so no, it cannot be switched out.

I contacted customer support and they basically said if the buyer were to open a case, I would most likely win since that message makes it look like buyer's remorse, but she said it could still go the other way and it would be better for me to work with the buyer before he opened a case.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
1. I think the buyer was dumb to put that last sentence in about how they aren't going to make money in there. If it's just a straight "the corners show wear" which was not evident from the scan, paypal probably would have sided with him on an item not as described case. They may still but now it's muddled.

2. In my experience, modern cards are assumed to be at least NM-MT condition (8) if the condition is not specified. If it was not apparent from the scan that there were condition issues and it actually does have problems that knock it down to NM condition, especially for a $400 card, that's kind of a big deal. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to return it. It's not like he's complaining because it isn't gem mint.

Did the card have issues that would drop it below NM-MT in your opinion or is the guy being too picky? Seeing the original auction listing would be very helpful as well.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
IMHO eBay will side with him.

So. . . you can roll the dice with a potential negative AND MAYBE having to give a refund (and hope to God you get the card back rather than an empty bubble mailer)
or
give the refund and hope to get the card back (promise the refund upon return).

If you feel confident that you did nothing wrong, then go ahead and try to see if eBay will side with you. Unfortunately, I don't think they will.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
The only two ebay cases I've won are where the buyer's complaining message addressed complaints that were explicitly addressed in the listing. One was about condition of a card (My listings say "I make no guarantees or claims about the condition of the item, refunds are not offered" as well as a front/back scan and an invitation to ask for more photos prior to bidding) and the other was about the buyer thinking she'd get all four cards in a picture, when the title and listing made it clear that only one was up for grabs. It was delectably fun when I went through her old sales and found that she used the multi-item picture many times, haha.

This is just to say that looking forward, explicitly declaiming language might be your friend. It does affect sale price to a small degree--my items seem to sell for up to 10% less than folks that put "GEM MINT 10 10 10 WOW" in their ungraded item listings, but I'm okay with that.

Both of my incidents were negs left that I contested and had scrubbed. I'm not sure how it would work for a case, though.

cardsrmytherapy

May 14, 2010
As someone with 5,000+ transactions on e-bay I suggest you promptly let the customer know he can send the card back and you will issue a refund upon receipt.

E-bay will side with the customer 9.75 out of 10 times. Save yourself the aggravation and the negative that is SURE to follow.

I cover myself in my auctions when I sell a card that's condition sensitive by saying "if you are not 100% satisfied with the condition of the card upon receipt please return it for a FULL REFUND (no partials)".

You had a bit of bad luck running into this buyer--simply try to get out of it before it gets bad. If you would, kindly PM me the buyer's name (I'd like to block him--personal preference).

BEST OF LUCK

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
As someone with 5,000+ transactions on e-bay I suggest you promptly let the customer know he can send the card back and you will issue a refund upon receipt.

E-bay will side with the customer 9.75 out of 10 times. Save yourself the aggravation and the negative that is SURE to follow.

I cover myself in my auctions when I sell a card that's condition sensitive by saying "if you are not 100% satisfied with the condition of the card upon receipt please return it for a FULL REFUND (no partials)".

You had a bit of bad luck running into this buyer--simply try to get out of it before it gets bad. If you would, kindly PM me the buyer's name (I'd like to block him--personal preference).

BEST OF LUCK

This is the best advise, and what I would do. It sucks, but would prevent any more issues. Move on and block this SOB.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
agreed with the above on sending a full refund after card is shipped back in the same condition..

and a username would help so that people can see what the buyer is about so that certain sellers can block him going forward

dave

Sent from my iPhone using FCB Gangnam Style mobile app

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I did not mention anything in the auction about condition, but a picture was posted.

It is a serial numbered card, so no, it cannot be switched out.

I contacted customer support and they basically said if the buyer were to open a case, I would most likely win since that message makes it look like buyer's remorse, but she said it could still go the other way and it would be better for me to work with the buyer before he opened a case.
That's what I do as well. No mention of condition at all, but huge front and back scans and the statement that "The pictures should give you an idea of the condition." If they look and like, then great.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
If you accept returns, a buyer can return an item for any reason, including when they change their mind about a purchase—as long as the return meets the return requirements—for example, returning an item within your stated time frame, and meeting item condition requirements.

Members online