Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It's been a great last 2 years! 1990 Score Promo here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Today is a great day. I knocked off my #1 Most Wanted Will Clark card, the 1990 Score Promo/Sample.

m_6676a7eef059435f949b5127acc05915.png
m_e2b2bbb5852c4b49befe40793a73202b.png

Here is the original sales pamphlet that came with it. Features Henderson, Puckett, Bo, among others.
m_787f9d87896244de8d2f07e4f3bdc4dc.png
m_4a8f36d466e142f189fb0977c66d585d.png

This card along with these 2 from '09 make it a milestone couple of years for my Clark collection. Picked up the Crusade Red in early '09 and the DK Jumbo in late '09.
m_75ad72f154b54a9dad3732568a9a34f8.png
m_11848d7d514d43a5b9e8e1af45d20c4b.png

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Top 5 list has changed based on new acquires:

Top: 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractor, a few Star Glossy promos I still need, & the Bronze Steel Sample (which is most likely in another permanent home)

Last edited:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Thanks Andrew! Those 3 cards represent the 3 most expensive Will Clark cards I've ever bought, but have been in my top 5 since I was a kid, so I'm surprised I've acquired all 3 in the last 2 years.

ajw said:
Wow. Great addition to a great collector's collection.

Congrats!

Last edited:

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Hey George. I know you know quite a bit about promos and rare cards. Have you seen anyone other than Nolan Ryan in 1990 Score promos? I tried to search past posts, but only one I could find was Nolan Ryan. I'd just like to know who else is out there or past sales, etc.

How about the 1989 Scoremasters? I still need the Will Clark of that set, but not 100% positive all players were made. I've seen Brett, Canseco, Mattingly, & Jefferies
George_Calfas said:
Great Job!

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Great job Nolan, glad to see that you could work out a deal, if you don't mind what did it run you? I had been checking the Clark thread for a couple of days to see a posted pic of the card.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Well, it cost me more than the DK Super if that is any indication. But the seller of the card was very aware of its rarity, so I knew if I was going to have any legitimate shot at it, I was going to have to pay a mint. I'm just glad he contacted me and wanted to potentially sell it. He was great to deal with and for a card I never thought I'd see, its "worth" it.

ronfromfresno said:
Great job Nolan, glad to see that you could work out a deal, if you don't mind what did it run you? I had been checking the Clark thread for a couple of days to see a posted pic of the card.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
clarkfan said:
Well, it cost me more than the DK Super if that is any indication. But the seller of the card was very aware of its rarity, so I knew if I was going to have any legitimate shot at it, I was going to have to pay a mint. I'm just glad he contacted me and wanted to potentially sell it. He was great to deal with and for a card I never thought I'd see, its "worth" it.

ronfromfresno said:

Very Cool!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This might be the most impressive card I've ever seen on this site. :shock: To those of you out there that are thinking that is an exaggeration you have no idea how truly rare this card is. It is very likely that another Will Clark example like this will never surface again. I've had a theory that all of these got mistaken for the regular cards and are stuck in commons boxes buried deep in unsuspecting collections.

This is only the second example of any player I have ever seen. Whatever you paid for it was worth it. It is a legitimate white whale…Congratulations.

p.s let me know if you see/hear of an Ozzie :D

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Thanks guys!!! Trust me, when I heard about it, I almost didn't believe it. I had to really step up and pay dearly, but for a card of this magnitude, I really feel I may never see it again. What makes it even cooler, I received the original dealer pamphlet and original mailing envelope as provenance. The pamphlet had Will Clark, Kirby Puckett, Rickey Henderson, Bo Jackson, among others on it.

The seller is very legit, but new to the forum. He plans on selling some other stuff, so I'll tell him to post some more stuff on here. It was sent VERY well protected and I had it here today, after only negotiating the deal on Friday.

As far as who is in the set, I asked around too, but as of right now, haven't found out very much. I only know of Nolan Ryan on FCB, but I vaguely remember seeing others back in the day, just can't remember names. Supposedly, only the red 1990 Score cards had a sample, but that is only a guess. I'd love to hear about others available or in personal collections. Just seeing who has them would be cool.

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc
Thanks for the kind words Nolan.
I wanted everyone to see the scan but waited where Nolan could have the enjoyment of showing everyone first.
I have 10 years of promos that I marked and stored as soon as I rec. them from the manufacture. So if you are looking for a specific promo/sample let me know. I have most of the very rare glossy order documentation along with Christmas cards in the original envelopes with players featured like Mantle and other major stars.

Paul

WillClark1990ScorePromo.jpg

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Nolan,

congrats on the pickup.. Im not a Clarkfan per say but I know how it feels to knock those lost cards off the list. In alot of ways my guy and yours parallel each other as far as odd issues they were in back in the 80's to mid 90's. I still need the Scoremaster sample and Aqueous test as well and a really ball busting 1989 Our Own Tea disc(damn dollar card that is going to never surface).

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
1st4040, I didn't know you still needed the Scoremaster Sample, you saw I had that in my ebay store right?? I would give you the Canseco and $100 bucks for the Will Clark Scoremaster sample. Can you find it for me? :)

1st4040 said:
Nolan,

congrats on the pickup.. Im not a Clarkfan per say but I know how it feels to knock those lost cards off the list. In alot of ways my guy and yours parallel each other as far as odd issues they were in back in the 80's to mid 90's. I still need the Scoremaster sample and Aqueous test as well and a really ball busting 1989 Our Own Tea disc(damn dollar card that is going to never surface).

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I have been looking for the ryan for years. I have actually resorted to buying large lots of the score cards when they show up on ebay in hopes of finding 1. Great addition.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
That's a great pickup right there! So much better than just another patch or auto. Too awesome you got the original literature with it! Congrats.

My quest is a 1993 Triple Play Preview of Mark Grace (Little Hotshots #11). Don't think I've ever seen one - if I did it was years and years ago.

Members online

Latest posts