Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If I can find some lying around I'll put em out in our 105 degree AZ sun and see what happens. I do agree with those that have them, the coloring looks very consistent, but I am curious what happens.

Ryan

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Sun test

It is not and won't be in a holder. We'll see what happens.
IMG_zpskfugjabj.jpg

I also have an extra Essential Credentials future, so I will leave that on the windowsill as well.
IMG_0001_zpsa0gnxtlm.jpg
IMG_0002_zps6mculusj.jpg

Of course I am kidding about the essential credentials!!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
It is not and won't be in a holder. We'll see what happens.
IMG_zpskfugjabj.jpg

I also have an extra Essential Credentials future, so I will leave that on the windowsill as well.
IMG_0001_zpsa0gnxtlm.jpg
IMG_0002_zps6mculusj.jpg

Of course I am kidding about the essential credentials!!

Anyone have a real smokey bar they frequent? I think a good smoke test needs to happen too. Super Nintendo's were notorious for changing color to a nasty yellow/goldish brown when exposed to a overly smokey house. I'm wondering if a similar plastic was used in the making of the cards. Although, I'm still on the variation side of the argument for now. Keep us posted!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm not saying it's impossible that they were some sort of variation or proof, but I really hate throwing that word around with absolutely no definitive backing (proof) of such a claim.

Yellowing can occur very evenly. I can't find any dark examples at the moment, but acetate cards can turn gold.

Frank-Thomas.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
The EX cards are 100% a variant. I had the Griffey. It's very Similiar to the credentials in coloring. It's not just a card
that changed color. For anyone that's personally had one you know it was made that way for whatever reason

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Bunchobull's example is a pretty good one. If you go to COMC and search that particular acetate set, the tones varying from crystal clear to yellow or dark gold is very common and can easily be seen just by looking at the listings on COMC. Like I said, I still lean towards a variation on the EX one, but this could easily be the case of bad conditions affecting the card in the long term. Too many people have said they have a "GOLD" Super Nintendo from this exact sort of plastic degredation.

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1994/Studio_Silver_Series_Stars,sr,i12

snes_plastic_1_small.jpg

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I disagree that it's 100% a variant; I don't know how we can say this so definitively without documentation to prove it. I'll post a card this evening that will show the exact same gold tone in an acetate card stored away from sunlight for all these years. It turned yellow from the simple degredation of the plastic.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
The big difference between these Studios and the EXes is that the image on the Studios is printed on the plastic and suffers degradation in time. The EXes have a cardboard overlay that isn't subject to the same chemical breakdown, therefore the image remains crisp, giving the illusion of a purposeful variation.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The foil is the giveaway that not all of these golds are intentional. You can see what looks almost like burning on the foil on a few, some kind of defect/damage that looks like what might happen if the card sat in the sun getting baked for a while. See the edges of the foil on the Mussina, and the Manny, which has a spotty look that lacks the vivid foil of the "regular" E-Xs.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Picked up a few low end Jeter inserts but Love the Elite Prized. Harder than I would have thought to track down. Seller had it listed right but the wrong picture. He told me it was the prized so I trusted him. Came in today and sure is the prized. Apparently someone else bought his base elite that he had mixed up the pictures. I am happy but I imagine the other person who thought they got a steal may not be so happy

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
These are not from my collection, but someone was kind enough to share them with me so I could show them here.

94_Studio_Silver_Stars_Frank_Front.jpg

94_Studio_Gold_Stars_Frank_Front.jpg

ive held the EX version. I'm sure if you held the Thomas you could tell it was just yellowed. I have a set of 98 and 99 EX that sat in my parents house for about 10 years. They are both chain smokers lol. No issues. The EX cards where a solid color not just yellowed

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Has anyone tried to remove the cardboard top of one of the gold EX's of some crappy player or cheap one to see if the gold color is consistent all the way through the card? I would think if you see 2 tones of gold on the card once the top cardboard cutout of the player is removed from the card, that might prove or disprove one way or the other. I don't have any of these, so my knowledge lies from this thread, but it might be worth a try if someone has a crappy player in hand.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
Has anyone tried to remove the cardboard top of one of the gold EX's of some crappy player or cheap one to see if the gold color is consistent all the way through the card? I would think if you see 2 tones of gold on the card once the top cardboard cutout of the player is removed from the card, that might prove or disprove one way or the other. I don't have any of these, so my knowledge lies from this thread, but it might be worth a try if someone has a crappy player in hand.

whats up with this chipper? edges are getting that golden yellow color.

http://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1998...c2d2e34-3a1d-4acc-b122-b8198bad473a&size=zoom

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Picked up a few low end Jeter inserts but Love the Elite Prized. Harder than I would have thought to track down. Seller had it listed right but the wrong picture. He told me it was the prized so I trusted him. Came in today and sure is the prized. Apparently someone else bought his base elite that he had mixed up the pictures. I am happy but I imagine the other person who thought they got a steal may not be so happy

[MENTION=6554]chris19978[/MENTION] Still need the Elite?

Members online