Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stan Musial artwork - this guy is another artistic genius

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Rubik's cube art is awesome and has been around for a few years, do a search for the MLK mosaic, it was about that size. There are also some really cool pop art ones of Jack Nicholson in The Shining and the like. There is a process in Photoshop where you can pixelate an image down to the 6 cube colors and that's what they use as the blueprint before they start twisting.

I learned to solve a Rubik's cube when I was about 17 and can do it in about 40 seconds if I'm warmed up and have a good cube (world record is like 9 seconds but I'm not that tenacious). I have all the cubes & have solved all the way up to the 11x11x11.

I actually tried some cube art once but the problem is I bought about 300 cheap "Magic Cubes" on eBay since they were like $1-$2 each. Real Rubik's cubes retail $10 and I couldn't find a bulk buy anything under $8. Anyways the knock off cubes don't have the same colors and you need the W-Y-G-R-B-O color scheme with the primary colors to get the effect to work. The cheapy cubes have Pink & Teal instead of Red & Blue so the images looked like poop, I was mad.

So think about that Musial, even if they bought the cubes wholesale at like $5 that's $30,000 in plastic!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I put on a Rubik's Cube club at my elementary school two days a week after school and teach k-6 students how to solve and speed solve. We do one mosaic a year, but not with that many cubes. Holly Riel , whom he mentioned I the story lets us "borrow" cubes for bigger ones.
That being said, the Rubiks part of that story is not as impressive as his drawing ability, and his resolve to raise the money needed to buy cubes by commissioning his amazing artwork! That's just amazing for a high school kid! What a bright future! Thanks for posting that story, [MENTION=2726]rsmath[/MENTION]! Will love to show it to my students!!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
How fast can you do?
Used to be under 30, now I can't get under 40...Getting old stinks! Same with Cup Stacking... getting slower every year.
Our school record was set last year at 21 seconds in 6th grade, but had a 3rd grader get 29 seconds, so the record may be in Jeopardy soon!

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Used to be under 30, now I can't get under 40...Getting old stinks! Same with Cup Stacking... getting slower every year.
Our school record was set last year at 21 seconds in 6th grade, but had a 3rd grader get 29 seconds, so the record may be in Jeopardy soon!

I could never get my average under 35-40, my lucky time is like 26 I think. I learned the all the F2L moves and their inverses, but never got around to learning all the Last Layer combinations. I just do the beginner last layer corners then edges moves like I learned from the beginners guide when I was 17. Learning the inverses helped some but I plateaued. If I had found a good resource for learning the LL I'd have gotten sub 25s I think.

Do you do any of the bigger cubes?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Never researched how to solve the puzzle, but the best I could muster on my own power was two sides.