Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where are all of the prospectors? Where is all the buying trading selling action people!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
they are selling it. Maybe since you aren't interested you don't know enough on the topic. I prospect and I still realize its a small part of the overall business.

theh aren't lol. Atleast these folks. The same old crappy base stacks sitting there collecting dust for years. The same old guys paying constantly for tables while selling nothing it's kind of sad when u think about it. They don't know any better. They actually think they have a chance of selling the vintage John olerude base card lol

But who cares all I wanted to know is if anyone does prospects on here no problems

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Don't tell me what to call something I like to do. U go collect your vintage, I go prospect.

I'll tell you whatever I feel like telling you. Pretty much up to you whether to agree, disagree, or ignore it, kid.

By the way maybe 0.1% of my collection is vintage. But I have a feeling you consider anything before 2001 Bowman Chrome to be vintage.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
I'll tell you whatever I feel like telling you. Pretty much up to you whether to agree, disagree, or ignore it, kid.

By the way maybe 0.1% of my collection is vintage. But I have a feeling you consider anything before 2001 Bowman Chrome to be vintage.

Lol now I'm a kid because I don't like vintage. Sorry it's 2016 not buying vintage. Thanks for the lesson tho kid

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Lol now I'm a kid because I don't like vintage. Sorry it's 2016 not buying vintage. Thanks for the lesson tho kid

No I'm calling you a kid because from the tone and attitude of your posts I assume you are in your early 20's at the latest. Am I correct...hell if I know. You assumed from my posts about prospecting not being collecting that I must be a fuddy duddy collecting vintage. Kind of a bad guess considering I have 3 Bowman Chrome cards right in my sig and I linked to my ridiculous collection of a crappy player from the 1990's. I enjoy collecting lots of different kinds of cards.

And for the record there's nothing wrong with you not buying/liking vintage. Everybody should buy what they want, and if you choose to one day collect cards you should also collect whatever you like.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
What drives my interest in this hobby are the certified autographs. When I got back into the hobby as a young adult, the hobby had changed so much from when I collected before. I had never seen game used cards or pack pulled autographs. When I was young interest in baseball drove me to collect cards but as an adult prospects drive my interest in baseball. Buying, selling and trading prospects has always been a means for me to build my personal collection of past and current players. Over time my collecting focus has changed some. Once I got to a point in my autograph collection of the players that I wanted in my PC were too expensive to acquire, the thought of having rookie autographs of high caliber players really sparked my interest. I have not collected much vintage through the years but not because I lack interest in it too. I am not a team or player collector, so I am only interested in rookie cards for vintage which can be quite expensive.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
75 percent of this hobby is based on people trying to make money. Look at card shows, most of it is prospects.

No...that would be 75% of hobby message boards, which constitutes about 3% of the collecting population

75% of the hobby doesn't give a rat's ass about prospecting, and rightfully so - they see it as ludicrous that an unproven kid in AA would sell for more than an Ernie Banks rookie. And I agree to an extent - what many older collectors on Net 54 don't seem to grasp is the hobby has changed since Topps released bubble gum wax packs. An AJ Reed gold refractor selling for more than a '54 Banks isn't a statement about the talents of Reed nor Banks. It's a statement of two totally different areas of the hobby that everyone wants to make coexist in a logical manner. Most times, they don't.

But here, Bowman stasher, let's play a hypothetical game. Me vs you, although I doubt you'll be using your own money for this. Your budget is $1750-$2000 (still haven't heard back on what the guy wants, but his BIN is $1999 and my budget is that range). Pick one prospect card. Red refractor, Superfractor, I don't care. It'd make it easier if you pick something that can be tracked one year from now, though. Maybe a Kris Bryant orange or something. You can use completed auctions since BIN's aren't a good indicator.

I'll post mine in a minute. Take as much time as you need to find something. There are no stakes or prizes. We just check back one calendar year from now to see if my card or your prospect card is worth more.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
No...that would be 75% of hobby message boards, which constitutes about 3% of the collecting population

75% of the hobby doesn't give a rat's ass about prospecting, and rightfully so - they see it as ludicrous that an unproven kid in AA would sell for more than an Ernie Banks rookie. And I agree to an extent - what many older collectors on Net 54 don't seem to grasp is the hobby has changed since Topps released bubble gum wax packs. An AJ Reed gold refractor selling for more than a '54 Banks isn't a statement about the talents of Reed nor Banks. It's a statement of two totally different areas of the hobby that everyone wants to make coexist in a logical manner. Most times, they don't.

But here, Bowman stasher, let's play a hypothetical game. Me vs you, although I doubt you'll be using your own money for this. Your budget is $1750-$2000 (still haven't heard back on what the guy wants, but his BIN is $1999 and my budget is that range). Pick one prospect card. Red refractor, Superfractor, I don't care. It'd make it easier if you pick something that can be tracked one year from now, though. Maybe a Kris Bryant orange or something. You can use completed auctions since BIN's aren't a good indicator.

I'll post mine in a minute. Take as much time as you need to find something. There are no stakes or prizes. We just check back one calendar year from now to see if my card or your prospect card is worth more.

I'm not gonna waste my time finding something because in the end prospects will always garner more attention and sell more then whoever you pick. People in this hobby buy based on excitement and potential, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that this hobby has more collectors who would rather collect a guy that doesn't play anymore. If that were the case vintage would oursell ALL prospects, but it doesn't.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ossc9k.jpg

Here's my entrant: that's what I'll hopefully be buying by the end of this evening.

Pick 5 cards if you like. Isn't diversity the key to prospecting? Whatever you choose, your budget is $2k. Choose wisely bud.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
ossc9k.jpg

Here's my entrant: that's what I'll hopefully be buying by the end of this evening.

Pick 5 cards if you like. Isn't diversity the key to prospecting? Whatever you choose, your budget is $2k. Choose wisely bud.

I love this idea Will, but I have to point something out: if the prospect card peaks and the prospector realizes it and sells it, does he get to claim the total realized value as the ending value compared to your Jordan?

I think you're right, in that most prospect cards pale in comparison to the quality of bad-ass buys like the MJ; but a seasoned prospector wouldn't be holding a year from now if it wasn't viable.

Does anyone remember Andrew's Weiters experiment from a bunch of years ago? (at least I think it was [MENTION=1816]All In Cards[/MENTION] ).

Last edited:

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016

The whole ENTIRE ARGUEMENT OF THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS THAT THIS HOBBY MEANING BASEBALL IS ALL ABOUT PROSPECTS. Then this guy goes ahead and posts a basketball card. Absolutely amazing. Absolutely amazing. Imo this is the end of this thread. It is full of a bunch of people who won't agree on anything, and a bunch of people who have no clue what's going on. I like prospects, u don't. I get it. And no a chrome card from 1990 is not a prospect but good try. Thanks to all for the discussion. It sure wasted my time.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Lol not even baseball.

My other want is a '54 Topps Hank Aaron SGC 5/6. I'd actually prefer it to the MJ, but there isn't an example available that's centered well enough for my liking. PSA 5's sell for around $2k. Want me to use that example instead?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Aren't you glad you asked where the prospectors are?

Although I don't prospect (if I had the funds maybe I would for fun), but just because most of on here don't prospect I'm not sure why we are coming down on Bowman Stasher for doing so.

He didn't start this thread stating anything negative, he actually was trying to get involved.

No I don't agree with his feelings that prospecting is keeping this hobby alive, but he was just responding to someone who said prospecting is dead, which is also incorrect IMO. Not everyone is a player collector, set collector, vintage, prospector yada yada. There are many different sub categories and all are important.

Not sure my post matters but just read through the thread and it seem to take a unneeded negative turn.

Ryan

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Are you here because you got banned from BO? Seems like your niche community already exists. Good luck.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
Aren't you glad you asked where the prospectors are?

Although I don't prospect (if I had the funds maybe I would for fun), but just because most of on here don't prospect I'm not sure why we are coming down on Bowman Stasher for doing so.

He didn't start this thread stating anything negative, he actually was trying to get involved.

No I don't agree with his feelings that prospecting is keeping this hobby alive, but he was just responding to someone who said prospecting is dead, which is also incorrect IMO. Not everyone is a player collector, set collector, vintage, prospector yada yada. There are many different sub categories and all are important.

Not sure my post matters but just read through the thread and it seem to take a unneeded negative turn.

Ryan

Looks like I just made a new bestie. Finally someone who comes in here making sense! Well done. Yes not here to start just wanted to do what I love doing which is prospects

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not gonna waste my time finding something because in the end prospects will always garner more attention and sell more then whoever you pick. People in this hobby buy based on excitement and potential, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that this hobby has more collectors who would rather collect a guy that doesn't play anymore. If that were the case vintage would oursell ALL prospects, but it doesn't.

But you have to consider that people who buy vintage are collectors, and people who buy prospects are mostly any Joe with an MLB TV or ESPN subscription. I mean, do you think, when you see a prospect at peak value, you're selling to another prospector, or some guy who is caught up in the hype of a hot rookie he sees on TV. If you think you're selling to other prospectors, please tell me your secret.

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
But you have to consider that people who buy vintage are collectors, and people who buy prospects are mostly any Joe with an MLB TV or ESPN subscription. I mean, do you think, when you see a prospect at peak value, you're selling to another prospector, or some guy who is caught up in the hype of a hot rookie he sees on TV. If you think you're selling to other prospectors, please tell me your secret.

It's impossible to know who you're selling to. At what price does a prospector stop buying? We don't know. There are still investors buying correas Bryant's Harpera trouts I will tell u that

Bowman stasher

Feb 1, 2016
To everyone in this thread, no reason to argue to the end. We all have our opinions and interests. I don't feel the need to worry about this. Let's go our separate ways and that's that.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It's impossible to know who you're selling to. At what price does a prospector stop buying? We don't know. There are still investors buying correas Bryant's Harpera trouts I will tell u that

But is that the bulk of the buys? At this point, good prospectors are not really investing those guy, they are selling to fans of those players.

Members online

Latest posts