Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bragging Rights: Who has the best modern card on the forum?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Do any members own this Trout Superfractor rookie?
The owner's been holding out for half a million dollars forever.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2009-Bowman-C...rfractor-AUTO-1-1-BGS-9-AUTO-10-/401140342773

mike-trout-2009-bowman-chrome-draft-superfractor-auction.jpg

I see that it's a Taiwan seller.. only $500 for shipping.. :)

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Comes down to pure luck or deep pockets. That is why I lost interest in the competitions for "best this or that cards". I know it is meant as a harmless or fun thread, but it is just another reason to show off high dollar cards.

I agree with Gwynn545. Some collectors either don't have the money to obtain cards like these (and/or are not lucky enough to pull one from a pack) or don't care as much about the value of a card and collect their passion and we all know damn well that the "best" card is going to be a big money card, likely a specialty GU/AU and possibly a rookie card as well.

So those are the only 2 way to come across nice cards?! If you look in the right places and put the work in you can find almost anything for a good price especially 90s stuff.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
So those are the only 2 way to come across nice cards?! If you look in the right places and put the work in you can find almost anything for a good price especially 90s stuff.

Just like anything in life. Some people see you have a Maserati and assume THEY will never have a Maserati because they aren't lucky or rich. With that attitude, they are absolutely right. They will never have a Maserati. The "must be nice" generation spends more time and energy condemning people who have, than they do putting in the work to get it themselves.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I think the $ and luck pieces factor in hugely into having some killer cards, however, the luck portion can manifest itself in many ways. IE "The harder I work, the luckier I get" :) I'm not talking harder work to get money; I'm talking harder work to find gems. If there is one thing I've learned about being a supercollector of a coveted player (by some, not all, lol!) it is that while it does take moola to get there, landing special cards can also be done by hard work of digging for them, patience and creativity.

This thread is no doubt an eye candy piece that is likely asking for us to show off pieces that have mass appeal, so while my 1992 Ultra boardroom prototypes unquestionably blow the doors off of a Trout auto or Ruth relic, I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of the collecting community may not share my sentiments :)

boardroom.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
While I may have many cards more scarce or more valuable, almost nothing in my collection tops the following card.

Frank's first "high-end", serial numbered insert card from the 2nd series of the first high-end insert set ever produced. Jersey numbered...I collect for this kind of reason.

660256_c0f3ee5f39737ba9f54bfb8b21061cae.webp

660256_466f99f3bdd17841b723fe155ea3b938.webp

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
That Big Hurt Elite is SICKNASTY!

And [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION], the horizontal boardroom prototype is nice.

One of my favorite cards...

Attachments

• faulk.jpg
    faulk.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 26

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I'll nominate the Jeter Nameplate. Think it's a cool card that you rarely see

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This has nothing to do with putting in work or effort. My response was a direct answer to the original thread's question of who has the best modern card. Any card that is good enough to win best modern card will either be obtained by luck or will have been paid for with a sizable sum of money. I suppose there is a small fraction of a chance that someone wheeled and sealed for a card of that magnitude (also luck in my opinion if that is the case), but then we'd all chant that the new owner is a d-bag who ripped off the previous owner. That is just the reality of the lottery pack mentality/market we now find ourselves collecting within. It's no longer who will pull the first Mickey Mantle of the neighborhood (and eventually we'll all have one or more if we keep buying packs), it is now who will be lucky enough to pull the Babe Ruth cut auto, button, cleat, jersey patch, hat, hair, tooth mega relic 1/1 that we can immediately turn around and sell for $10K.

I didn't say there weren't good cards that could be found with work and some wheeling and dealing, but to 'WIN" this thread, you pretty much need luck or big money.

Just like anything in life. Some people see you have a Maserati and assume THEY will never have a Maserati because they aren't lucky or rich. With that attitude, they are absolutely right. They will never have a Maserati. The "must be nice" generation spends more time and energy condemning people who have, than they do putting in the work to get it themselves.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can't see the photo. What card is it? Frank was "The man" when I was collecting 90s inserts heavily.

While I may have many cards more scarce or more valuable, almost nothing in my collection tops the following card.

Frank's first "high-end", serial numbered insert card from the 2nd series of the first high-end insert set ever produced. Jersey numbered...I collect for this kind of reason.

660256_c0f3ee5f39737ba9f54bfb8b21061cae.webp

660256_466f99f3bdd17841b723fe155ea3b938.webp

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I can't see the photo. What card is it? Frank was "The man" when I was collecting 90s inserts heavily.

It's a 1992 Donruss Elite, serial number 00035/10000. This was my ultimate dream card as a kid, I mean, this very copy, with this very serial number. It wasn't pulled from a pack until 2011, but I was lucky enough to get it from the man who did it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts