Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2014 Topps (High) Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I guess I can reveal what cool serial #ed cards I own from this product - didn't realize how much I had bought until I inventoried all of them yesterday:

Troy Tulowitzki (2 is his jersey #): charcoal black diffractor auto. #1 /1; blue diffractor non-auto: #2 /5, 5/5; blue diffractor auto. #2 /5; red diffractor auto. #1 0/10; black/white diffractor non-auto. #01 /15; clouds diffractor non-auto. #2 5/25; disco diffractor auto. #02 /50

Carlos Gonzalez (5 is his jersey #): charcoal black diffractor non-auto. #1 /1; blue diffractor non-auto #5 /5; red diffractor auto. redemption (haven't received yet so don't know the serial #); black/white diffractor non-auto. #01 /15, 15/15; black/white diffractor auto. #05 /15; disco diffractor non-auto. #01 /50; gold diffractor #05 /99

Eddie Butler: blue diffractor non-auto #1 /5; blue diffractor auto. #5 /5; clouds diffractor auto. #01 /25

Andres Galarraga: disco diffractor auto. #01 /50

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I guess I can reveal what cool serial #ed cards I own from this product - didn't realize how much I had bought until I inventoried all of them yesterday:

Troy Tulowitzki (2 is his jersey #): charcoal black diffractor auto. #1 /1; blue diffractor non-auto: #2 /5, 5/5; blue diffractor auto. #2 /5; red diffractor auto. #1 0/10; black/white diffractor non-auto. #01 /15; clouds diffractor non-auto. #2 5/25; disco diffractor auto. #02 /50

Carlos Gonzalez (5 is his jersey #): charcoal black diffractor non-auto. #1 /1; blue diffractor non-auto #5 /5; red diffractor auto. redemption (haven't received yet so don't know the serial #); black/white diffractor non-auto. #01 /15, 15/15; black/white diffractor auto. #05 /15; disco diffractor non-auto. #01 /50; gold diffractor #05 /99

Eddie Butler: blue diffractor non-auto #1 /5; blue diffractor auto. #5 /5; clouds diffractor auto. #01 /25

Andres Galarraga: disco diffractor auto. #01 /50

That's an impressive haul!

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Wow Eddie Bulter. If only I could found someone who needed the 1/1 Black Press proof. ;)

I'm on the fence with the proofs from this product. They aren't really printing plates - they are just gimmick 1/1 cards. The charcoal black 1/1's are the true 1/1's from this product in my opinion. I haven't purchased any proofs yet, not sure I ever will. Also I'm almost certain the other 3 non auto. Butler proofs have hit the market so the chances of me ever putting all 4 together are next to nil.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Well this is insane. 6 buybacks of McGwire have surfaced. I own 5 now and of the 6 that exist, two are duplicates (the 6th is a duplicate that somebody still has up for auction)!!!

They probably made 10-15 of these and of the 170 different cards between '98-'00 they managed to use the same pattern not once, but at least twice: 2000 10-3 and 2000 10-12...

(I didn't scan the duplicate I own, just updated the potential count on the pic below)

tek_strip5.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Well this is insane. 6 buybacks of McGwire have surfaced. I own 5 now and of the 6 that exist, two are duplicates (the 6th is a duplicate that somebody still has up for auction)!!!

They probably made 10-15 of these and of the 170 different cards between '98-'00 they managed to use the same pattern not once, but at least twice: 2000 10-3 and 2000 10-12...

(I didn't scan the duplicate I own, just updated the potential count on the pic below)

tek_strip5.jpg

It is silly to use dups , and no 1998s exist ?

Ryan

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I'm on the fence with the proofs from this product. They aren't really printing plates - they are just gimmick 1/1 cards. The charcoal black 1/1's are the true 1/1's from this product in my opinion. I haven't purchased any proofs yet, not sure I ever will. Also I'm almost certain the other 3 non auto. Butler proofs have hit the market so the chances of me ever putting all 4 together are next to nil.

They don't claim them to be printing plates. They're the same as any other 1/1's. I sold a Butler proof shortly after release.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They're confusing in this release. You could pass the black proof off as the regular 1/1 but the other colors are obvious.

I think this was a bad move with the release. It is the most clear way to show or explain the difference between printing plates and printing proofs IMO.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
They're confusing in this release. You could pass the black proof off as the regular 1/1 but the other colors are obvious.

I think this was a bad move with the release. It is the most clear way to show or explain the difference between printing plates and printing proofs IMO.

They are easy to tell apart if you know what you're looking for.

Charcoal:
1b2ebbbe99d1a9ec08bdfb2ca18a610690f5c04a.display.jpg
Black Proof:
c74b9b8f73267630cd29c5329a5c01e73059f761.display.jpg

The most noticable difference is the color photo vs. the black /white one.

Bane50

Feb 14, 2010
The Galactic Charcoal are also covered in 'star' diffractors. The color photo of the player is the best indicator though.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
You can tell the difference from black and whites. The press proof if you turn it over, you can see the players is colorized and every thing else is black and white. On the true black and white both sides are black and white there is no other colors on the card

Richard

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They are easy to tell apart if you know what you're looking for.

Charcoal:
1b2ebbbe99d1a9ec08bdfb2ca18a610690f5c04a.display.jpg
Black Proof:
c74b9b8f73267630cd29c5329a5c01e73059f761.display.jpg

The most noticable difference is the color photo vs. the black /white one.
Hindsight is always 20/20

Both of these spiked like the initial week of the release for Albert Belle and both guys had them listed as the 1/1 and neither as the proof. Might not seem like much but for a player like Belle, the 1/1 could fetch a $100 bill but the proof might be half... in this case it was just a guess and a confusing look on my face as both sellers thought they had the true 1/1 and not a proof. If you remember, the release had checklist problems early on as well and a lot of us were just confused as to what all was out there for our guy, etc.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
My google skills may need some work but does anyone have easy access to a list of all variations for an NL player? Or is it hurried in the middle of this long thread somewhere? I'll I'm finding are "early" checklists that I don't think are entirely accurate

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
My google skills may need some work but does anyone have easy access to a list of all variations for an NL player? Or is it hurried in the middle of this long thread somewhere? I'll I'm finding are "early" checklists that I don't think are entirely accurate
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2014-topps-high-patterns-variations

Add to that list all the Diffractors (Gold /99, Ice /75, Disco /50, Bubbles /25, B&W Image /15, Red Storm /10, Blue Dots /5, Charcoal Galactic /1) And all 4 Printers Proofs /1.

Autographs have just the base pattern with all of the Difractors and Printers Proofs, but none of the pattern variations from the first link.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I am just now getting into High Tek so it will probably be difficult for me to put together any rainbows. Plus I am still undecided as to who I would want to collect other than St. Louis Cardinals. I have bought three boxes and I have to say I was really impressed with the boxes. None of the cards I got were worth a whole lot but I feel they are really good cards so I enjoyed opening the boxes. My local card shop still has a few boxes so I plan to buy all that remains. The big card I got was a Sandy Koufax 1/1 Black printing press. I plan on uploading the other good ones once I get my scanner to cooperate with my computer.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I am just now getting into High Tek so it will probably be difficult for me to put together any rainbows. Plus I am still undecided as to who I would want to collect other than St. Louis Cardinals. I have bought three boxes and I have to say I was really impressed with the boxes. None of the cards I got were worth a whole lot but I feel they are really good cards so I enjoyed opening the boxes. My local card shop still has a few boxes so I plan to buy all that remains. The big card I got was a Sandy Koufax 1/1 Black printing press. I plan on uploading the other good ones once I get my scanner to cooperate with my computer.

Kinda funny you say, "none of the cards I got were worth a whole lot," but then go on to say you got a 1/1 Koufax Auto ;)

Glad you are having fun with it! Yeah, def post your cards and maybe you can work a trade for something you like more? I'm still working on picking up some guys and just lost out on a Blue Dots Teheran the other day :( I should have bid $5 more, dangit!

Members online

Latest posts