Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sucrusader

Feb 7, 2013
NJ
Hey Thomas fans, I feel a bit out of place being in this realm in that I'm a Wes Chamberlain collector, but anyway, I wanted to share one unique Thomas card I have, and inquire what you know about another. The Thomas card is a 1997 Donruss Signature without foil stamping. The other is a 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations card with silver foil instead of the typical gold foil. I saw a Thomas for sale on eBay about a year ago, and I have a Lankford. Needless to say, I really want the Wes Chamberlain one! Any thoughts? errors.jpg

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Is that Lances site? If so, you Thomas guys should have chipped in to help him. That was one of the best pc sites out there. Does Lance still collect? I need to get in touch with him.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Is that Lances site? If so, you Thomas guys should have chipped in to help him. That was one of the best pc sites out there. Does Lance still collect? I need to get in touch with him.

It is Lance's site; he hasn't said what, but he has a project going on that has taken his attention away from the site. He still has the site backed up though.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Just got my cards back from my first ever PSA submission. Been hoarding 1987 Auburn and USA Blue cards of Frank, as well as a handfull of rookie autos. I thought I would have got at least 1 10 for the USA Blue.....Was very happy though to get 1 PSA 10 Auburn card of Thomas and of Bo Jackson!

scan0003te.jpg

scan0004kl.jpg

scan0005te.jpg

scan0006xp.jpg

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
I miss that site being up as I would look at it periodically for reference. I'd be more than happy to pay the fees to keep it running, but I don't think that is an option....

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Just got my cards back from my first ever PSA submission. Been hoarding 1987 Auburn and USA Blue cards of Frank, as well as a handfull of rookie autos. I thought I would have got at least 1 10 for the USA Blue.....Was very happy though to get 1 PSA 10 Auburn card of Thomas and of Bo Jackson!

scan0004kl.jpg

Still need these two for my Auburn collection.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
randy: WOW! looking to move one of the auburn 9's? (shoot me price if so)

Do any of the Pan-am blues not have the word 'ago' on back? can you get reverse scans of those 3 pan-am blues?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX

Do any of the Pan-am blues not have the word 'ago' on back? can you get reverse scans of those 3 pan-am blues?

A front centered copy must have the ago on the back unless it's trimmed down. Some PSA graders recognize this, some don't...but the vast majority of 9s are in said holder due to print defects...these are highly prone to fisheyes.

I have an uncut sheet, and if you were to cut it to the proper front dimensions, you'd cut off the ago on the neighboring card.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
A front centered copy must have the ago on the back unless it's trimmed down. Some PSA graders recognize this, some don't...but the vast majority of 9s are in said holder due to print defects...these are highly prone to fisheyes.

I have an uncut sheet, and if you were to cut it to the proper front dimensions, you'd cut off the ago on the neighboring card.

Ross - interesting....and great observation on the uncut sheet.

21065203 looks like it's the best centering out of the three shown in randy's scans. Randy, can you discern why each graded out a 9? Any print defects or soft corners (especially on 21065203 as it looks to be centered the best)

e_t_f84

Jan 13, 2013
migrated.jpg
The 1st hit i ever got. I remember when it was worth 80$s. I think i traded it for some vintage 59'-63' commons, that my cousins took out of his dad's shoe box when i was a kid. I just recently discovered them, 15 yrs. later in my garage.

97bb_35.JPG

Another hit, lost this one.:(

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
The 1st hit i ever got. I remember when it was worth 80$s. I think i traded it for some vintage 59'-63' commons, that my cousins took out of his dad's shoe box when i was a kid. I just recently discovered them, 15 yrs. later in my garage.

Another hit, lost this one.:(

Thanks for sharing the story. These were the golden days of collecting (for me anyways). I remember paying like $2-3/base card back in the day. I couldn't even sniff the prices the inserts were selling for.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA

All have the word "ago" on the back. I am pretty sure that the PSA 10 copy that I saw on Ebay a couple years ago did not have "ago" on the back.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Ross - interesting....and great observation on the uncut sheet.

21065203 looks like it's the best centering out of the three shown in randy's scans. Randy, can you discern why each graded out a 9? Any print defects or soft corners (especially on 21065203 as it looks to be centered the best)

I'll have to take a look tonight closer at those and get back with you.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
All have the word "ago" on the back. I am pretty sure that the PSA 10 copy that I saw on Ebay a couple years ago did not have "ago" on the back.

You're right it didn't; but James Jones' copy does. I still say that the PSA 10 copy without the ago looked trimmed as hell to me...all the way around. Like the grader was unfamiliar with the size of these cards, and just assumed it was an undersized issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts