Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst break ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooncricket

Jan 24, 2012
4 cases of 2013 Bowman Jumbo

most valuable card: orange pike auto

not one correa, buxton, miller, profar or machado auto

not one red, purple, or social auto

(and no sf obviously, but those dont come in packs anway, we all know the card fairy has to visit your house 9 times with a confectionary treat THEN on the 10th time she brings you the SF auto, and ONLY if your Ebay feedback is less than 5 or more than 10000)

i digress, sorry

for my $207 spent (for all meyers, sanchez chrome autos, and miller chrome autos) i got 1 base sanchez auto and 1 ref sanchez - 0 meyer - 0 miller ( i cant help it - i was a pitcher - i buy pitchers )

i didnt want to spend $170 for beras - of which 3 base autos were the final haul or $270 for correa - of which there was zero of any card of any kind

i did bid $415 on buxton but got sniped with 1 second left (if i would have spent $622 for 2 sanchez autos i would be on suicide watch - $207 was bad enough) - there were also no buxton cards of any kind - the break didnt show base or chrome base - just the topps 100's and up from there

the guy doing this break was majorlp09 - it had been 2 years since i last did a break with him for 2012 museum - i cant remember anything that happened before last week so i gave him another shot - having forgetten totally about the 2012 museum "live" break that was finally shown 2 days later and missing the case hit metal framed auto - i ended up with a full refund citing SHENANIGANS! - and hadnt noticed this break was "him" until i ended up on his youtube chanel when the horror came back to me in a rush - by then it was too late

the break did go off live today and i watched the entire painful 3 hours of it - mispronouncing every single player not named jones - i just get this vibe that the guy is only doing this for money, as in 'has no interest in cards or even baseball' - i calculate somehwere near $7500 in lots sold for the 4 case break - by selling spots for auto, colored refs, diecut, base blue/orange/red, mini etc there were like 5 different lots of each kind of card for each player - ....and not one single buxton or correa card of any kind in the entire 4 cases?

i am sorry for the long thread post - i dont post often at all - but i do love reading 'most' of your threads - i just wanna know...is it even possible to fix a live break? box opened - 8 packs opened - 3 autos in each box - looked normal to me - but the outcome just seemed impossible - did topps really water this years release down that much? with all the added stuff like minis, diecut autos, social media autos, etc it seemed like each case should be chock full of goodies (also only 1 bowman black (skole) in the 4 cases)

i mean if the print run for base autos was like 5000 then it makes sense - a blowouttv.com thread showed a 30 hobby case break with 6 buxton autos and 3 correas - in 30 CASES!! - but i dont trust blowout too much either - i trust you guys - i'm hoping some of you will be gracious enough to help me through this difficult time in my life

only 3 buyers in this break made money - quinn - bethancourt - pike

BRUTAL

Last edited:

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
ive had some bad jumbo cases too, but that does sound amazingly bad. I get kicked off ebay for breaks, major keeps plugging along. does he have videos of other breaks?
Id watch some others and see if anything good ever comes out. I know major, seems ok to me, but havent done any breaks with him.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
As much 2013 Bowman as I've seen opened, this is kind of par for the course. 2013 Bowman is brutal. I saw a case opened live from a respected breaker that the best hit was a blue refractor auto of one of the lesser guys. No Buxton/Correa/Machado/Bundy/Profar. 8 boxes that had 21 $5 autos and maybe 2-3 above $10. The Blue refractor was the only above $20.

Is it possible to fix? Yeah it's possible. If you get a nice hit, just dont show it. Have a base auto of _____ available to show. Were all chrome cards face shown on Camera clearly? Where did those 4 cases come from? These are questions I would have looked into before buying. If he was opening live and there was something you didn't like, speak up.

I've said this before about posts like this: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SOMEONE MAKING MONEY DOING THIS. Ultimately you are the buyer, you have to make smart choices. But I do believe there should be an ethical set amount someone can make by opening cards. If my small business owner at the LCS can only make a set amount of markup and he has been in business for 20 years, why should someone sitting in front of a camera make more that has been doing it for 20 days?

In my humble opinion, the surface of all cards should be shown on camera. I know, I know it's boring. I know, the pack outs are usually the same on where the auto spot is. All cards should be shipped, some people only ship hits and then keep the base which I don't agree with. I'm not saying you should go through slowly and show each card. You can flip through base quickly, but at least show the whole card. Some people may be ok with just showing hits, that's fine as long as you trust the person doing the break.

I've tried online breaks with many and I have a few favorites that I trust. That's where I spend my money. I've bought with Boomo and found nothing wrong with the case I bought into except that he doesn't ship all cards. Again i saw nothing wrong with the break, all the hits were clearly visable on camera, but i will spend most of money elsewhere because i prefer the way they do it. I will not buy any longer with one of the larger breakers anymore because they are even selling the base lots they dont ship from the case breaks on eBay that they already profited from once. They call them charity auctions because the give a small proceed to charity.

Basically you have to chalk it up to a loss, dont be a sore loser. Just spend your money elsewhere. Im surprised he actually let you buy again seeing that you called him out last time. Be smart buyers.

Last edited:

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
You can rant all you want I was there yesterday. I live 2 hours from major and I went to his house to help sort all the base and chrome. I left about 6 last night having helped sort all of it. He was pretty disappointed in the break. In no way does he cheat I would put my reputation on it. 14 Buxton base chromes and 28 base paper hit yesterday. There was one Correa blue non auto. The 4 cases weren't that great. It happens. I opened one when the jumbos first came out. I got 2 blue autos 2 ref autos and 20 base. Boomo I was in one of these with you where nothing above a refractor auto hit. It happens. I'm sure a lot of people aren't happy because major is still on eBay. Also I read your thread over on blowout when you bought the beras lot I'm pretty sure so I assume unless you hit an orange you were going to be mad. Major is a good guy. His only fault is mispronouncing some names. I helped him with a few. Haha

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I won't break any Bowman cases anymore. You need serious volume or luck for it to be worth it over singles.

I agree. A decent break using jumbos for 2013 bowman would take 10 cases or more. With fewer auto subjects and seemingly less watered down cases draft from 2012 was way more exciting and more loaded with color. The distribution of cards in this is terrible. I have seen many boxes with same auto subject being 2 of the 3 autos in it with one a base and one a ref. I can see why some breaks would be great if 5 buxtons or correas or machados hit in 4-5 cases. It happens a lot but it just isn't as much fun if your 5 autos are rip Ruiz or Tyler pike.

mooncricket

Jan 24, 2012
You can rant all you want I was there yesterday. I live 2 hours from major and I went to his house to help sort all the base and chrome. I left about 6 last night having helped sort all of it. He was pretty disappointed in the break. In no way does he cheat I would put my reputation on it. 14 Buxton base chromes and 28 base paper hit yesterday. There was one Correa blue non auto. The 4 cases weren't that great. It happens. I opened one when the jumbos first came out. I got 2 blue autos 2 ref autos and 20 base. Boomo I was in one of these with you where nothing above a refractor auto hit. It happens. I'm sure a lot of people aren't happy because major is still on eBay. Also I read your thread over on blowout when you bought the beras lot I'm pretty sure so I assume unless you hit an orange you were going to be mad. Major is a good guy. His only fault is mispronouncing some names. I helped him with a few. Haha

i've never posted anything on blowout - the thread regarding the 30 case break that also had nothing was something i found on google - the actual thread doesnt exist anymore but the url still ranks - so know me about as much as i know your boy apparently

i will apologize for insinuating he may have fixed the break - i know he didnt - i was being a little sarcastic - it's hard to know how a person is speaking when you arent face to face

the rant is way more about the lame cases than anything else

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
i've never posted anything on blowout - the thread regarding the 30 case break that also had nothing was something i found on google - the actual thread doesnt exist anymore but the url still ranks - so know me about as much as i know your boy apparently

i will apologize for insinuating he may have fixed the break - i know he didnt - i was being a little sarcastic - it's hard to know how a person is speaking when you arent face to face

the rant is way more about the lame cases than anything else

Gotcha. The guy that bought the beras lot had been talking about the break before the break happened and I saw beras and thought same guy. I now re read your op. my bad on that. If your rant is more about the lame cases, which it should be, maybe make it about that. As I read your post you are calling out the breaker and beating around the bush or insisting possible fowl play may have been going on. So if you want to say bowman is watered down and breaks are a bad idea do it. If you want to call out a breaker that's your right also. I'm just stating the facts which are I was there in house for the whole thing plus I know the guy. I was there helping with his draft 5 case break a while back. Hit a Harper orange auto /25 and a Darvish purple /10 and lots of other nice color autos. I don't remember anyone complaining about that one.

mooncricket

Jan 24, 2012
you are 100% right that everyone doing breaks should make money - this thread was 99% sour grapes about topps distribution and 1% about mr. breaker - in terms of buying i am somewhere spending around $4 monthly - whatever $220-260 ebay bucks comes out to each quarter - this $200 spent on this break isnt the point AT ALL - the point is in 4 cases there was nothing of value - not one card over $65 - this thing we do went from a hobby for kids to an adults only party to a wipeout of the middle class to where it is now - whales and wannabes - i'm just another wannabe trying to get a fair shake bro

mooncricket

Jan 24, 2012
Gotcha. The guy that bought the beras lot had been talking about the break before the break happened and I saw beras and thought same guy. I now re read your op. my bad on that. If your rant is more about the lame cases, which it should be, maybe make it about that. As I read your post you are calling out the breaker and beating around the bush or insisting possible fowl play may have been going on. So if you want to say bowman is watered down and breaks are a bad idea do it. If you want to call out a breaker that's your right also. I'm just stating the facts which are I was there in house for the whole thing plus I know the guy. I was there helping with his draft 5 case break a while back. Hit a Harper orange auto /25 and a Darvish purple /10 and lots of other nice color autos. I don't remember anyone complaining about that one.

right - we dont complain about great breaks - only sh#@$y ones - now you're gettin it - the entire experience was crap - the cards had a lot to do with that - the know-nothing on the mic kicked in the rest

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
you are 100% right that everyone doing breaks should make money - this thread was 99% sour grapes about topps distribution and 1% about mr. breaker - in terms of buying i am somewhere spending around $4 monthly - whatever $220-260 ebay bucks comes out to each quarter - this $200 spent on this break isnt the point AT ALL - the point is in 4 cases there was nothing of value - not one card over $65 - this thing we do went from a hobby for kids to an adults only party to a wipeout of the middle class to where it is now - whales and wannabes - i'm just another wannabe trying to get a fair shake bro

I think anyone reading that OP would come to the conclusion you were complaining about the breakers fixing it. You should read it over and think about it. You only made a quick question about this years product being watered Down. The rest was questioning if a break could be fixed.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO
I think anyone reading that OP would come to the conclusion you were complaining about the breakers fixing it. You should read it over and think about it. You only made a quick question about this years product being watered Down. The rest was questioning if a break could be fixed.

This is how I took it as well.

sawmillthug

Dec 21, 2012
Chillicothe, MO

I don't remember the last time this hobby was about the kids. Maybe when card packs were 50 cents and serial numbered sp high value chase stuff did not exist. I love sports and have loved baseball card collecting since I was little. Now that I'm a grown man and have the money to throw at it I do. My son will reap the benefits of my collection. That's how my kid is involved.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
I don't remember the last time this hobby was about the kids. Maybe when card packs were 50 cents and serial numbered sp high value chase stuff did not exist. I love sports and have loved baseball card collecting since I was little. Now that I'm a grown man and have the money to throw at it I do. My son will reap the benefits of my collection. That's how my kid is involved.

That is unless your doing case breaks of 2013 Bowman, then your son will have a sad collection to reap.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
So you didn't pull anything a year ago cried "SHENANIGANS" to paypal and won?

So logically a year later you sign up with a box breaker (not checking who why do that its not like you felt ripped off a year ago...) and it just so happens to be the same guy! So logically the next step is make a topic that backfires when everyone notices when you dont pull your cards you demand a refund.

Mods save this IP and send the to all the breakers we have one of "those" here.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I busted 4 Jumbo Cases of Bowman this year and stopped despite having 28 more to rip. Didn't hit a single Buxton, Correa, Machado, Bundy, etc. The breaks were rough. I hit a purple, but it was of a nobody. This product was watered down. I don't know the breaker but all I can say is that you can't assume anything over 4 cases. Hell, I bought into Boomo's 50 case draft break last year and got skunked on two or three high dollar lots. It sucks, but you take your lumps and you move on.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
[MENTION=6907]mooncricket[/MENTION] your user name is a known racial slur, and I'm sure you know that.

I'll tag the staff that is logged in now to notify [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] [MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] @phillyfan0417 @sheetskout

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
[MENTION=6907]mooncricket[/MENTION] your user name is a known racial slur, and I'm sure you know that.

I'll tag the staff that is logged in now to notify [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] [MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] @phillyfan0417 @sheetskout

Yeah. Its gotta be changed man. Let us know what you want to change it to.

Members online

Latest posts