Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Gilmore's FCB store no longer sell sports cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
The retail store is still a full service sports card store. It's sub leased out by Evan (getcardshere)

I'm not involved with the sports cards other than some customer service when Evan isn't in on Saturdays (Saturday is my day at the shop)

Currently I'm a full time project manager at a health care IT company and disconnected from the retail store and places like this forum. I troll facebook all the freaking time though because my family is on there. If any of you want to add me there that works.

https://www.facebook.com/cgilmo

Life gets crazy sometimes, and sometimes we have to go back to working for the man. I still love this site though, and check it as much as I can. I use the mobile app to read a lot.

Still love you man, this place rocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Seriously. What happened to the familiar faces and names.

This place needs an infusion of content, preferably from newer faces. It's sad to see FCB in the shape that it's in.

Hot Lists, product reviews, official FCB BGS subs, what happened to them?

Many of those who created this content went unappreciated and just stopped.

mchenrycards

Or just stopped.

Isnt that the same thing I just said?

Sadly, we had many many people who were writing some great content for this site but never got a thank you for their work. Truth be told, some of those that I have talked to admitted they never did what they did for the recognition but a thanks now and then would have been appreciated especially when they saw their posts getting hundreds of hits and on into the thousands in some cases.

And yes, we did also have some people who just stopped for whatever reason too but that is to be expected.

Either way, did anyone from this site reach out to the contributors who took a great deal of time and effort to make this place what it once was? Again, from those I talked to the answer would be a solid no.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
A lot of members just use Facebook groups.

100% agree. Ive tried selling on here, BO and Neshek, not just cards, other sports collectables and have about 1% luck with what I list.
I decided to give the whole facebook groups a shot and have been at 65-70% success rate of what I list I sell, typically for the price Im asking too, dont have a bunch of lowball offers.
I still stop in here daily to see whats going on, but interests change with people, therefore they come and they go. Tough to keep a forum like this moving/advancing forward when facebook groups are so much easier for B/S/T.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm not in the camp that believes message boards are dead. BO is thriving. I think FCBs issues are multifactorial. Content creators should be thanked by the members certainly, if not compensated based on the add revenue this place generates (or use to). JP should probably go ahead and collect all of that add revenue since he is pumping out the most content and generating the most views/discussions keeping this place afloat. But in order for this place to exist, it needs active leadership that will reinvest in the boards and community. More collectors should be given the chance to add content here. It looks like this place has given up, and thrown in the towel.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not in the camp that believes message boards are dead. BO is thriving. I think FCBs issues are multifactorial. Content creators should be thanked by the members certainly, if not compensated based on the add revenue this place generates (or use to). JP should probably go ahead and collect all of that add revenue since he is pumping out the most content and generating the most views/discussions keeping this place afloat. But in order for this place to exist, it needs active leadership that will reinvest in the boards and community. More collectors should be given the chance to add content here. It looks like this place has given up, and thrown in the towel.

What does BO really do to "invest" in their forums other than provide the space and assign moderators? Genuinely curious as I don't think they provide anything that couldn't be provided by members here. I really have no idea why this place died. I'll stick it out till the end though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchenrycards

i totally agree with this post. I think there was a time where the previous administration did reinvest in the board but that time was short and now long gone.....sadly.

A_Pharis

i totally agree with this post. I think there was a time where the previous administration did reinvest in the board but that time was short and now long gone.....sadly.

You have a pretty good grasp on the hobby. The site always welcomes content. Maybe you'd like to contribute?

You see, the problem is that people that were approached either (a) wanted to be compensated beyond means or (b) got so little response to their content that they weren't motivated to continue.

Blowout's stronger draw is their offering of products and their willingness to turn trolls loose on their boards. Of course, we get the few that do somehow manage to get banned over there - but those that don't get banned? They're creating tons of threads and responding to everything.

What we have here are a higher percentage of quality posters that are more selective with their posting - so, of course, the traffic looks lower. And the people that constantly bring it up are the same people that are often the ones screaming about "sinking ships," "staff doesn't care," etc... This forum/site has always been very largely user-generated. Sadly, those users that were generating were driven off by the inane.

Posters like BBC are still doing their parts - but to what avail?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
You have a pretty good grasp on the hobby. The site always welcomes content. Maybe you'd like to contribute?

You see, the problem is that people that were approached either (a) wanted to be compensated beyond means or (b) got so little response to their content that they weren't motivated to continue.

Blowout's stronger draw is their offering of products and their willingness to turn trolls loose on their boards. Of course, we get the few that do somehow manage to get banned over there - but those that don't get banned? They're creating tons of threads and responding to everything.

What we have here are a higher percentage of quality posters that are more selective with their posting - so, of course, the traffic looks lower. And the people that constantly bring it up are the same people that are often the ones screaming about "sinking ships," "staff doesn't care," etc... This forum/site has always been very largely user-generated. Sadly, those users that were generating were driven off by the inane.

Pretty sure mchenry was one of the ones putting out content pretty darn often, but stopped due to lack of caring readers...or participation...or whatever you call it

I for one used to really enjoy the stuff he used to write

A_Pharis

Pretty sure mchenry was one of the ones putting out content pretty darn often, but stopped due to lack of caring readers...or participation...or whatever you call it

I for one used to really enjoy the stuff he used to write

Hence asking if he'd like to generate some content. ;)
The point is that it isn't a surprise when people stop providing content due to lack of interest, but the site also can't go out and pay someone to create content that gets no return. It's a tough spot, but it's not one staff can just get the site out of.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Of the twenty plus at LCS I was the only ONE buying sports cards .

Oddly I've been in that exact same situation. But it's on Friday or Saturday when I go so most of the wax rippers have had their fill and are just coming by to shoot the breeze.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Being number 2 ain't bad.

Honestly, for MODERN cards, besides BO what other board competes with FCB?

Beckett can't, net54 and psa boards are nearly all vintage.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mchenrycards

As pointed out by Mr. Met, I was one of those who would write for the boards and honestly, I enjoyed it. My area of knowledge is mainly vintage now meaning 1985-backwards and I not sure what interests me interests the board since this place is based on modern cards. My hope was to educate those modern collectors on the vintage part of our hobby and let them know that shiny cards, while they have a place in the hobby are not all that drives it.

As for compensation, I did once have a conversation with Chris about being paid (which was a response to his asking for content with the potential to be paid) but felt I didnt want to go down that road. I never wanted money and I certainly didnt want anything but a thank you. Not a butt kissing thank you but a quick PM saying "thanks for contributing", nothing more, nothing less but in the end, I and others never received that. So for me no longer writing for the boards had nothing to do with not getting paid or the fact my content was not read, I felt unappreciated and figured I just would not contribute original content to a place that does not value those why try and make the boards better.

What you have to do is figure out why the Net54 boards are so strong and continue to rake in new members every day and are only getting stronger. You need to figure out what is making the PSA boards continue even though their moderators are heavy handed and have banned a great many of their members who were regular contributors, but yet, they still thrive. What makes people go to Blowout despite the fact that place is all about the drama. I am pretty sure you remaining members here have a good idea, maybe someone should ask them.

As for cries of sinking ships etc, I think the administration here has done nothing to dispel these rumors especially since there was zero presence at the National this year, which face it, drove a great deal of traffic and new blood to the boards. I for one always looked forward to the show coverage and was highly disappointed when this did not happen this year. I also feel the lack of transparency between who actually owns these boards and who doesnt has done nothing to firm up the footing here and has caused many to wonder about FCB's future. Chris almost never posts here unless someone tags his name but is he still the owner or has others like Philly taken over ownership. Maybe I missed it but I felt the disclosure of who is running the actual day to day operations of this board was never revealed. You may go a long way to keeping those sinking ship rumors from swirling around the boards if that is cleared up.

I would be more than happy to get back to writing. I have been collecting for over 40 years and was a collector, dealer, show promoter, shop owner and collector once again and I feel I have a great deal to contribute. I just think we need some direction and someone needs to put their hand on the rudder of this ship and put it in the right direction.

mchenrycards

Hence asking if he'd like to generate some content. ;)
The point is that it isn't a surprise when people stop providing content due to lack of interest, but the site also can't go out and pay someone to create content that gets no return. It's a tough spot, but it's not one staff can just get the site out of.

A well placed PM would have done the trick instead of a sideways comment asking if I would like to contribute, especially since I was one of the ones contributing. This is the kind of thing that happened in the past and apparently is still happening. (Truth be told, one admin did PM me a few days ago and asked me about what happened previously which I certainly did appreciate).

Lets get a conversation going as to where the owners/admins of FCB want to move this place towards. I think it is time. Don't you?

Last edited:

A_Pharis

As pointed out by Mr. Met, I was one of those who would write for the boards and honestly, I enjoyed it. My area of knowledge is mainly vintage now meaning 1985-backwards and I not sure what interests me interests the board since this place is based on modern cards. My hope was to educate those modern collectors on the vintage part of our hobby and let them know that shiny cards, while they have a place in the hobby are not all that drives it.

As for compensation, I did once have a conversation with Chris about being paid (which was a response to his asking for content with the potential to be paid) but felt I didnt want to go down that road. I never wanted money and I certainly didnt want anything but a thank you. Not a butt kissing thank you but a quick PM saying "thanks for contributing", nothing more, nothing less but in the end, I and others never received that. So for me no longer writing for the boards had nothing to do with not getting paid or the fact my content was not read, I felt unappreciated and figured I just would not contribute original content to a place that does not value those why try and make the boards better.

What you have to do is figure out why the Net54 boards are so strong and continue to rake in new members every day and are only getting stronger. You need to figure out what is making the PSA boards continue even though their moderators are heavy handed and have banned a great many of their members who were regular contributors, but yet, they still thrive. What makes people go to Blowout despite the fact that place is all about the drama. I am pretty sure you remaining members here have a good idea, maybe someone should ask them.

As for cries of sinking ships etc, I think the administration here has done nothing to dispel these rumors especially since there was zero presence at the National this year, which face it, drove a great deal of traffic and new blood to the boards. I for one always looked forward to the show coverage and was highly disappointed when this did not happen this year. I also feel the lack of transparency between who actually owns these boards and who doesnt has done nothing to firm up the footing here and has caused many to wonder about FCB's future. Chris almost never posts here unless someone tags his name but is he still the owner or has others like Philly taken over ownership. Maybe I missed it but I felt the disclosure of who is running the actual day to day operations of this board was never revealed. You may go a long way to keeping those sinking ship rumors from swirling around the boards if that is cleared up.

I would be more than happy to get back to writing. I have been collecting for over 40 years and was a collector, dealer, show promoter, shop owner and collector once again and I feel I have a great deal to contribute. I just think we need some direction and someone needs to put their hand on the rudder of this ship and put it in the right direction.

I agree with you on everything and only want to comment on the presence at the Nationals. That takes money that the board doesn't make. Chris put a lot up front for this forum and everyone here, and even his trips there were costly for him.

Members online