Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

News Outlets confirming that Jose Fernandez has died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
I was fortunate enough to attend his no hitter. It was the first time I brought my kids with me to watch a baseball game. Thanks Jose for the memories.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Shocking. Every time something like this happens it brings up my memories of Darryl Kile passing away. My thoughts go out to his family today.

I grew up on the water and my dad always preached safety, safety, safety. We always rolled our eyes at him. Times like this are stark reminders that the water can be cruel and should never be taken lightly.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is one of the first things I check after hearing news like this. It is interesting to go back to right before the news first broke to see what they were selling for pre-death. It is always the same story, but can you blame people who are in it to resell items? Timing is everything.

I don't think I ever grabbed an autograph of his for my AS collection, but will need to check to be sure. I won't be grabbing one anytime soon, I can tell you this much.

In order to keep my faith in humanity I'm refraining for searching eBay to see who is attempting to profit from this tragedy

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I grew up on the water and my dad always preached safety, safety, safety. We always rolled our eyes at him. Times like this are stark reminders that the water can be cruel and should never be taken lightly.

how common is boating at night? The only boating I ever did was in my grandpa's rowboat and we always fished during the day and got back to dock by sunset to ensure safety. You'd think boating at night is not very smart because you might wreck high speed into something like a jetty.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Saw where he was supposed to pitch today, but Marlins gave him an extra day of rest so he could start the series vs. Mets.

I couldn't help but wonder if that had something to do with him going out on that boat last night. Everything happens for a reason, and hindsight is 20/20 but you wonder if he was going to pitch a game today (probably even a day game being Sunday) would he have been out so late or at all.

I just keep finding myself shaking my head. Baseball lost such a young promising man today. Preston Wilson (who does radio I believe in Miami) said earlier today that baseball needed Jose Fernandez and I completely agree. There aren't many players who had his charisma, attitude, smile, and was a face of a franchise like he was. Stanton might have the big contract, but I looked at Jose as the face of that franchise.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
how common is boating at night? The only boating I ever did was in my grandpa's rowboat and we always fished during the day and got back to dock by sunset to ensure safety. You'd think boating at night is not very smart because you might wreck high speed into something like a jetty.

Quite common, actually. We fished at night all the time. Certain fish are more active at night and react to the lights on a boat. That said, you have to be 100x more careful at night because your vision is hugely impaired. I won't be surprised to find out that the driver was inexperienced and it sucks that someone lost their life. Hopefully we can all find a positive lesson in the whole thing.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Saw where he was supposed to pitch today, but Marlins gave him an extra day of rest so he could start the series vs. Mets.
The ESPN article says Fernandez's next start was pushed back to Monday to make room for Adam Conley's return from the disabled list.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As a parent of 4, I talked to my wife about this and asked her basically, can you imagine that call you child is dead. I keep thinking about it, I don't know how I'd cope with it. My heart truly goes out to his family, and anyone who has lost someone, especially that young. I never want that call.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online