Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Did anyone see the pair of 98 Donruss Crusades on eBay?

The numbering on the 100 does not look right to me. Thoughts?

$1000 for both

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Did anyone see the pair of 98 Donruss Crusades on eBay?

The numbering on the 100 does not look right to me. Thoughts?

$1000 for both
what looks wrong? heres the back of mine
purpleback.jpg

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
[MENTION=1759]magicpapa[/MENTION], The zeros look staggered, but now that I see yours, I can see there isn't any difference.

Thanks.
[MENTION=12651]zlpeterson[/MENTION], yes.... The fact that they are located in South Korea doesn't help ease my hesitation.

I stack precious metals and the amount of fakes coming from China and other parts of Asia is astounding.

what looks wrong? heres the back of mine
purpleback.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
@magicpapa, The zeros look staggered, but now that I see yours, I can see there isn't any difference.

Thanks.
@zlpeterson, yes.... The fact that they are located in South Korea doesn't help ease my hesitation.

I stack precious metals and the amount of fakes coming from China and other parts of Asia is astounding.

Fakes from China??

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Well, I think I'm going to open a lawsuit against Topps. Here is why:

In 2013 I purchased a 2013 Topps Chrome Ultimate Chase Ken Griffey Jr auto relic. This is a 1/1 auto that isn't a parallel. So, they would have to make this card specifically for me, and that would be it. I don't know if there has been another issue like this. So, I have sat patiently, and Topps still hasn't made the card. It is now about to be 2016 and it isn't because Griffey isn't signing cards; there are autos of his released in almost every Topps product these days. So, it all falls on Topps because they basically don't want to spend the time and money to fulfill the redemption because they would have to make just this one card. I have been patient. I have called Topps to check on it and it is the same story each time; I'm always given the run-around. I'm not going to accept some crappy replacement either. I've had enough with this. I just called again a few minutes ago and they're going to send me an email with replacement options. If they aren't really great, then I'm going to tell them I'm going to file a suit. What do you guys think? I think Topps has screwed me royally with this one.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
Well, I think I'm going to open a lawsuit against Topps. Here is why:

In 2013 I purchased a 2013 Topps Chrome Ultimate Chase Ken Griffey Jr auto relic. This is a 1/1 auto that isn't a parallel. So, they would have to make this card specifically for me, and that would be it. I don't know if there has been another issue like this. So, I have sat patiently, and Topps still hasn't made the card. It is now about to be 2016 and it isn't because Griffey isn't signing cards; there are autos of his released in almost every Topps product these days. So, it all falls on Topps because they basically don't want to spend the time and money to fulfill the redemption because they would have to make just this one card. I have been patient. I have called Topps to check on it and it is the same story each time; I'm always given the run-around. I'm not going to accept some crappy replacement either. I've had enough with this. I just called again a few minutes ago and they're going to send me an email with replacement options. If they aren't really great, then I'm going to tell them I'm going to file a suit. What do you guys think? I think Topps has screwed me royally with this one.

I think if you have a friend who is a lawyer, have them write a letter to Topps *for free*. If you have to hire a lawyer you're going to spend more on the attorney fees than the card is probably worth. Additionally, I've found in some similar situations that just receiving a letter usually gets their ass in gear.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
^^^ Were there other players in that set? If so were any made?

Ryan

Yes, the set included guys like Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. Topps issued the ultimate chase in series 1 (30 card set, all 1/1 auto relics) and had a follow-on in Topps Chrome of 10 cards, all 1/1 auto relics. This has truly turned out to be the ultimate chase.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I think if you have a friend who is a lawyer, have them write a letter to Topps *for free*. If you have to hire a lawyer you're going to spend more on the attorney fees than the card is probably worth. Additionally, I've found in some similar situations that just receiving a letter usually gets their ass in gear.

I have thought about that and that is the route I intend on going. I have a couple of lawyer friends that would be interested in helping and would probably accept payment in dinner and drinks one night ;)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes, the set included guys like Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. Topps issued the ultimate chase in series 1 (30 card set, all 1/1 auto relics) and had a follow-on in Topps Chrome of 10 cards, all 1/1 auto relics. This has truly turned out to be the ultimate chase.

With the Chrome ones like your KG, do you know if any were made? I know you mention Ruth etc, but do cards exist for anyone? Basically my pout being if they made the other players, the stock for the Griffey was probably made too. If they didn't actually produce any player, then it may be more difficult to get it produced ever. Regardless it sucks. As you said, he signs, they planned on having the card (that's why there was a redemption), so it should be made.

Ryan

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
With the Chrome ones like your KG, do you know if any were made? I know you mention Ruth etc, but do cards exist for anyone? Basically my pout being if they made the other players, the stock for the Griffey was probably made too. If they didn't actually produce any player, then it may be more difficult to get it produced ever. Regardless it sucks. As you said, he signs, they planned on having the card (that's why there was a redemption), so it should be made.

Ryan

I think the Chrome ones won't actually be Chrome but will be a continuation of the ones from the regular Topps set. There is an Al Kaline on ebay right now. You can also find a Tony Gwynn in the sold listings. I've also seen a video of a person opening the Babe Ruth Ultimate Chase once receiving in the mail from Topps. I believe all of the Ultimate Chase cards were packed out as redemptions.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Still interested and looking for the 1997 Finest Atomic Griffey refractor - it's the last card my father and I need to complete our Griffey Refractor set. Would love to surprise him with it for his b-day. Card is for our PC, paypal ready.

Send PM if you have one for sale/trade or know someone with one for sale/trade.

This would mean the world to me not looking for a steal just want to complete something we started 20 years ago

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
Subtle Variations

Hey guys -

Wondering if anyone tracks subtle variations that came about in early 90's Griffey cards. May be relevant for the other player collectors who track the Griffey thread as well. Best I can tell, here is the list of variations:

• 1989 Donruss - *Denotes Led League and *Denotes Led League*
  • 1990 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1990 Donruss Diamond Kings - Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (2 Total) - Inc Version Does Not Exist (Alternate DK Layout)
  • 1990 Fleer - Printed in U.S.A and Printed in U.S.A.
  • 1991 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Donruss All Star - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Donruss MVP - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc. + Factory Set Border Variation (3 Total)
  • 1991 Stadium Club - A* and B* Printing Sheets
  • 1991 Upper Deck Hologram Variations - could be several. I have:
    • Griffey with 1990 - 1991 UD Hockey Hologram
    • Griffey Sr. with 1990 UD Baseball Hologram
    • Briley Cameo with 1990 UD Baseball Hologram
  • 1992 Donruss - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Donruss All Stars - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Leaf - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Leaf Black Gold - Leaf Inc and Leaf Inc.
  • 1992 Stadium Club - E* and F* Printing Sheets
  • 1992 Stadium Club Members Choice - E* and F* Printing Sheets

An interesting and affordable challenge, if you haven't heard of these. I'm hoping there's a bunch I missed to easily add another 10 cards to the collection hahaha. I'm also hoping someone can provide a theory of why this is happening. I understand the printing sheets, and the hologram variations seem to be an economical move by Upper Deck. But the period variations are confusing. If it was not intentional, wouldn't they have caught it after the first year?

LMK your thoughts, and what else might be out there. Here's to 2016, the year of the period!

Chris

ckurdelski

Jul 4, 2012
24 Best 2015 Additions

Annual Photobucket update is complete!

A slow year due to the house, but some nice additions and my top 24 thumbnails attached. Cheers

Attachments

• 1992 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle - Score Employee Autographed.JPG
    1992 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle - Score Employee Autographed.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 1997 Topps _ Team Timber - The Keeper Series.JPG
    1997 Topps _ Team Timber - The Keeper Series.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1997 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Teams - Cubs Checklist CC.JPG
    1997 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Teams - Cubs Checklist CC.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 21
  • 1998 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Starquest - Home Run.JPG
    1998 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Starquest - Home Run.JPG