Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Have you ever sold your collection off? He has been selling his collection for the past 4-5 months continuously. That creates a following. A following creates more bids. When I sold my collection off last year I was getting $35 for cards that where $5 bin up at the same time. MOST of the cards he Is getting insane prices for are rare and do not come up often. Please show me 5 auctions where the illuminators popped up? There was medoogans, mine I bought, and Griffeyfans that has been up for years. I remember seeing the $300 one for $80. Not everyone has hours and hours to research every card. Hell I put hours and hours of research and miss cards all the time. Someone bid $22 and PAID for a base 99 finest chrome.

Now ow in not saying every card that sells above market is worth that, but at the end of the day it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I didn't win the gold Fusion /50, but guess what it's worth $775 in 2 people's minds. Griffey inserts overall have been increasing the past 5 years steadily.

That statement I made was useless but also true. Your just a hater plain And simple. I know for 110% fact his auctions are not shilled. My reputation is just fine. . I barely post here, mostly on blowout. But the 5-10 griffey collectors I interact with would back me on this. I'm
Not pompous or arrogant as most people have better collections. I'm not out bragging how much I pay for cards. I get more people to deal with me over the fact I will pay a fair price and not try and beat them to the last cent. I know when I'm going to win a medoogan auction it's prob going to go higher than it last did. I also know that half the stuff he lists is truly rare that never comes up, especially all at the same time. It would take as long is it took him to acquire all those rare cards for you to acquire piece by piece. And I don't mind that a good dude gets my money.

And people don't collect doubles?!

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Another Griffey Collector that is selling his collection is YLAF, who I have bought several cards off of..

Sometimes cards go thru with a low value and sometimes they sell high due to a bidding war..

Ask Mopar about me and him in a bidding war for Steve Garvey stuff.. cards that should go for $40 sell for over $250 since you get two bidders that want a particular card.. I needed it for a set and he's a player collector..

If you think medoogan is a shill bidder, then don't bid on his stuff.. that just leaves the rest of us to go after those cards..

Personally I use Gixen and snipe.. I see a card that I want and I put in a price that I am willing to pay..

I know friends that had low numbered cards that should have sold for $30 - $40 get over $300 because of snipes that are set..

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
In short, I support everything joey_peapod and num1jrfan said. Basically, just look at all the different bidders and winners on all of his auctions. Joey pointed that out to you on a couple of them in which he lost. So, if Joey didn't shill, are you saying the winner did? Also, there were 4-5 people all willing to pay around $100 on some of the illuminators. Was everybody just shilling each other? None of your claims have any solid backing. They are speculation, and the horrible part is when you are proven wrong, you won't simply admit it. You're also a hypocrite. You said this:

"I also don't appreciate your assumptions that I can't afford the cards listed..."

You don't appreciate Joey's assumptions? So, are you saying you don't like assumptions when they may be incorrect? Everything you have said here in regards to medoogan's auctions are based on your assumptions. Maybe nobody here appreciates your assumptions. I've been wrong about assumptions before, and so have other people involved with this thread. However, when wrong, the majority of us admit it and apologize. Assumptions will get you nowhere, especially when you ignore the facts presented to you. Also, your negativity throughout this entire thread is not appreciated, at least not by me.

I don't think anybody here can really explain the recent spike in Griffey value. Not everything can easily be explained, but as Joey said, all it takes is two people to really want something, and the end price doesn't always reflect "market" value. There are a handful of people that may bid according to the "market" value, but then there are sometimes two people willing to go well beyond that. Some things don't make sense (like the 1999 Finest base card selling for over $20), but you should track down the winner of that, and the second highest bidder, and ask them why they made those bids. Do some research. Match up feedback to user names. Don't just come in here and recklessly bash someone's integrity that you don't even know. I've done that myself in the past, and I am now MUCH more careful. It's not a good idea.

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
You need to learn to click links, these arent super rare cards here that are used to build sets. Hell they aren't even numbered.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/161263061386?nav=WATCHING_ENDED
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161263064990?nav=WATCHING_ENDED
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111310402121?nav=WATCHING_ENDED

LOOK AT THESE just a small example here I'd understand if they were numbered to /50 or less, even 100 but these are common refractors and inserts that are selling at 5 - 10 times the normal amount.

Triumvirate Illuminator 1:384
1996 Topps Chrome Refractor 1:12

Justify those prices please.

How about this 1999 Finest Refractor 1:12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-FINEST-REFRACTOR-101-/111290370297?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19e96c48f9

GriffeyJr,

There are many potential reasons that could justify those prices; however, whether or not one agrees with those reasons is up to each individual and the resulting outcome is one's opinion. I agree with you that the prices for those listings and a few others are far more than what I've heard/seen previously sold either on eBay or offline and that's our opinion, which we are certainly entitled to. Where you and I differ - and where I believe you stepped over a proverbial line - is taking your opinion, treating it as fact, and calling out the integrity of a respected seller and multiple buyers, some of whom are in this forum.

I think you were out of line to call someone out based on your opinion; I also think Joey_Peapod was a bit out of line with his language, but he was passionately defending his integrity and his friend, so it's understandable. While it may seem like people are piling up on you, hopefully you can understand our points and not feel shunned or unwelcome from this thread.

Let's keep the positive culture and congeniality of this thread going - it's why I enjoy FCB more than other forum sites. Sure we have our disagreements, but I think part of the reason why this thread is 400+ pages going strong is due to the dedicated Griffey collectors working together, helping each other out, and constructively sharing opinions. Understand however, that when you make strong accusations the responses will be sharp if they are unsubstantiated.

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
@ pinbreaker. I use gixen too, but sometimes I'll put a redeculously high bid to ensure I win. Then someone else does the same thing and it's super high. As long as you happy paying your snipe you really can't complain. I was shocked as anyone at a lot of these auctions. But regardless those illuminators hardly ever come up, and 3-4 people bid up there with me on the luminescents.

I I could have toned it down a bit, but I was definitely fired up when I saw that. He has been calling out auctions for months now it's kind of old at this point. If you have to call out evey auction that pops up, maybe "market value" has risen.
Im done ranting.
Griffeyjr - I don't apologize for anything except swearing at you. It was honestly the first thing that came to mind. I don't care if you think every card from here on out is absurd in price, just don't call people out without facts.

And I don't see any other 97 chrome ref besides the ones he has sold. So apparently for 1:12 it's pretty rare.

Last edited:

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
And lastly I would like to add that I hustled my ass off for my current Griffey collection. I don't even know what my point was anymore, but it wasn't meant to be oh look I can spend more money. I've acquired my current collection over the past 3 months all with an initial investment of $300. There are some people willing to pay whatever for a card they want, I know this all too well. If I want a card that I know won't come up in a while, I will pay more too.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Medoogan has a HUGE Griffey following, due to the fact that he has been selling off his INCREDIBLE Griffey collection the past several months. Griffey fans that are willing to pay more (in this case, a lot more) for a card that is rarely up for sale. When you have 2 people with money, going after the same card, trends and beckett value and [most of all] your opinion of what a card is worth doesn't mean squat.

Check my user ID: goob_mcnasty, you'll see I've bought several cards from Medoogan. I got good deals on a few, probably "overpaid" on a lot. But I'm okay with paying a little more for a card I really want. The Illuminators are the extreme version of that.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It's one thing to say "Holy crap, that sold for a lot." It's another to take shots at the integrity of someone who has never been anything but honest, trustworthy, and not just an awesome seller, but an all-around great guy. Kick yourself in the forehead.

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
Lol, just read the last few pages of the thread and felt like I was on a Griffey themed episode of Justified. Anyone else wanna pull?
FWIW, medoogan is a trustworthy guy IMO, and as others have pointed out, auctions close at crazy prices for a whole host of reasons besides shilling. I get the frustration when rare cards get even harder to get b/c bidding wars are raging. To them I say, be patient. The Griffey card market is still pretty thin (we all basically know each other). Once the crazy over bidders get their copy, I guarantee another copy will become available at some point. Just ask all us idiots that we're bidding against Ylaf 10 years ago...

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Lol, just read the last few pages of the thread and felt like I was on a Griffey themed episode of Justified. Anyone else wanna pull?
FWIW, medoogan is a trustworthy guy IMO, and as others have pointed out, auctions close at crazy prices for a whole host of reasons besides shilling. I get the frustration when rare cards get even harder to get b/c bidding wars are raging. To them I say, be patient. The Griffey card market is still pretty thin (we all basically know each other). Once the crazy over bidders get their copy, I guarantee another copy will become available at some point. Just ask all us idiots that we're bidding against Ylaf 10 years ago...

FriarG, you bring up a topic I've always been interested in: ylaf as a buyer. Fortunately I've bought a handful of cards from him over the past year and have also spoke to him as well - very pleasant, polite, and knowledgable person.

I vaguely remember seeing him decent amount of Griffey stuff when eBay allowed everyone to see the winning bidder, but how prevalent was it? Like Jordan in the 90s-type winning? It may have been discussed in here multiple times over the years but please enlighten me further as I'm relatively new to this thread.

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
hey anyone have the 1998 griffey topps gallery card #120 that they can do a high res scan for me please? i would find one at home but still in iraq. if they could PM me or send to email this name at yahoo

FriarG

Aug 21, 2011
New Jersey
FriarG, you bring up a topic I've always been interested in: ylaf as a buyer. Fortunately I've bought a handful of cards from him over the past year and have also spoke to him as well - very pleasant, polite, and knowledgable person.

I vaguely remember seeing him decent amount of Griffey stuff when eBay allowed everyone to see the winning bidder, but how prevalent was it? Like Jordan in the 90s-type winning? It may have been discussed in here multiple times over the years but please enlighten me further as I'm relatively new to this thread.

Honestly, I'm sure others could share better war stories about him, but I remember he was one of 3-4 guys that bought nearly all the high end Griffeys in the early 2000's. I was just getting back into collecting around then but he beat me on nearly every auction and he'd buy multiple copies of every card. The bidding wars that ensued propped up Griffey prices for several years.
I bought a bunch of his cards a couple of years ago when he started selling off and gotta say he's been a very nice guy to deal with.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Let's switch it up!
Anybody want to trade!? Here are some doubles I would trade, Looking for anything nice I don't have. 1/1 Is in a pending offer, but I would trade for something really nice I don't. Gold Embossed is #1 on my want list :)( RCC!)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
All great cards. Not a fan of slabs personally. I've always had problems paying big change for inserts. Well worth it and I understand why people pay it but i have a hard time doing so.

num1jrfan

May 19, 2013
wait you have a double of the omega 1/1?

Let's switch it up!
Anybody want to trade!? Here are some doubles I would trade, Looking for anything nice I don't have. 1/1 Is in a pending offer, but I would trade for something really nice I don't. Gold Embossed is #1 on my want list :)( RCC!)

Members online