Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Beltre Future HOFer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
He's certainly on track to make an argument for himself when it's all said and done. He's got the bat, but his chances only improve when you throw in gold glove defense year after year at 3B. I'm not a huge fan of his, but the numbers don't lie. He's got a very good shot if he has a couple more great years and then maintains at least an average bat and a good glove until he's about 40.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Really?
Palmeiro.jpg

Cmon, really?

Has Adrian Beltre been implicated in steroids at all? If your answer is no, then your previous post was just nonsense and made you look foolish. If your answer is yes, then prove it.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Cmon, really?

Has Adrian Beltre been implicated in steroids at all? If your answer is no, then your previous post was just nonsense and made you look foolish. If your answer is yes, then prove it.

All you wrote was "No one is going to deny a 3,000 hit, 450 HR, 1,600 RBI player." My point is nobody is a lock due to numbers alone. Why do you think so many people in this thread said no or hell no? Do you think they were all just misinformed or too quick to answer? No. Beltre doesn't pass the HOF smell test. Could he get in if he does this or if he does that? Sure, but Bryce Harper could also get in the HOF if he averages 200 hits a year for the next 14 1/2 years.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
All you wrote was "No one is going to deny a 3,000 hit, 450 HR, 1,600 RBI player." My point is nobody is a lock due to numbers alone. Why do you think so many people in this thread said no or hell no? Do you think they were all just misinformed or too quick to answer? No. Beltre doesn't pass the HOF smell test. Could he get in if he does this or if he does that? Sure, but Bryce Harper could also get in the HOF if he averages 200 hits a year for the next 14 1/2 years.

I'll admit that my gut reaction when I first saw this thread was a resounding HELL NO, but after actually looking at his numbers and using baseball sense to very conservatively project the next 6-8 years of his career, he actually looks like a very appealing choice for the HOF.

As far as no one getting in on numbers alone? How about no one tied to steroids gets in at all, at least not yet. Numbers are so far irrelevant when it comes to that. Other than players tied to PEDs, who else has 3000 hits, 450-500 HR, and 1600 RBI and is NOT in the HOF?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

It's fine if you don't think Beltre will achieve HOF status but it's ignorant to claim that he won't with his current stats, awards, and age. That's all I'm saying. You can so "hell no" all you want but it just makes you look like a fool. The simple fact is, he has a legitimate shot at the HOF with 6-7 more years of just AVERAGE play and it is entirely possible. If he plays the next 3-4 years like he has the past 3, he's a lock - and if you deny that....well...you lose any HOF debate credibility with me.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
It's fine if you don't think Beltre will achieve HOF status but it's ignorant to claim that he won't with his current stats, awards, and age. That's all I'm saying. You can so "hell no" all you want but it just makes you look like a fool. The simple fact is, he has a legitimate shot at the HOF with 6-7 more years of just AVERAGE play and it is entirely possible. If he plays the next 3-4 years like he has the past 3, he's a lock - and if you deny that....well...you lose any HOF debate credibility with me.

Wrong! If he continues like he has the last three years for the next 6-7 he may get in. Even if he continues this way for the next 3-4 years he will still not have attained any milestone numbers you seem to think make him a lock. Also, he is at an age where if he is still putting up numbers like this past age 36 or 37 then the steroid questions will start. His decline is inevitable... assuming he's clean. Now, the real question is how will I go on if Dr. Evil thinks I'm a fool or questions my HOF debate credibility.:eek:

Frow

This is just an ignorant statement. If you factor in his age, his current career numbers, his defense, his current team that is arguably a mini-dynasty, and the fact he has played his best baseball the past 3 years....I think snow does have a legit shot at surviving in hell.

I know this is a shock....you may want to sit down. But unlike every HOF thread you post in......every player that has a few good years isn't going to be in the hall of fame. Even if they have been playing well over the past 10 days. I know it's a lot to take in but there's more......most athletes don't put up the same numbers every year so we can't just assume that they are going to (1) play for 10 more years (2) put up better numbers than they did during their peak.

As for the need to constantly throw a hissy fit when people disagree with you and call everyone ignorant

I look forward to seeing another thread bumped from 6 months ago that someone had the audacity to be incorrect on a completely unforeseeable conclusion.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Wrong! If he continues like he has the last three years for the next 6-7 he may get in. Even if he continues this way for the next 3-4 years he will still not have attained any milestone numbers you seem to think make him a lock. Also, he is at an age where if he is still putting up numbers like this past age 36 or 37 then the steroid questions will start. His decline is inevitable... assuming he's clean. Now, the real question is how will I go on if Dr. Evil thinks I'm a fool or questions my HOF debate credibility.:eek:

I really think you are grasping at straws now...

Putting aside the nonsencical interjection of potential PED usage (assumingly to somewhat bolster your skewed opinion..?), if he continues to produce for the next 3 years like he has over the last few, you are going to be talking about a guy with ~450 home runs, ~1500 RBI, and ~2700 hits. And he would still only be what, 36? The totality of his career at that point is a milestone in and of itself. Go break out your abacus and do the math on how many people with 450 HR's, 1500 RBI, and 2700 hits are not in the HOF. Then factor in that he will still have a few semi productive years to go before he hits 500/1700/3000 and see how foolish your stance is.

Having said all of that, I do think it will take a couple/few more years of excellent play BEFORE HOF talk is credible. But I see no reason to think it will not be achieved, let alone see it as not a possability.

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I cannot be believe that Adrian Beltre and Juan Pierre are even mentioned with the word HOF...WOW... I agree (even if I dont want to admit it) if Beltre gets the Milestones he will get in. We'll see!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I really think you are grasping at straws now...

Putting aside the nonsencical interjection of potential PED usage (assumingly to somewhat bolster your skewed opinion..?), if he continues to produce for the next 3 years like he has over the last few, you are going to be talking about a guy with ~450 home runs, ~1500 RBI, and ~2700 hits. And he would still only be what, 36? The totality of his career at that point is a milestone in and of itself. Go break out your abacus and do the math on how many people with 450 HR's, 1500 RBI, and 2700 hits are not in the HOF. Then factor in that he will still have a few semi productive years to go before he hits 500/1700/3000 and see how foolish your stance is.

Having said all of that, I do think it will take a couple/few more years of excellent play BEFORE HOF talk is credible. But I see no reason to think it will not be achieved, let alone see it as not a possability.

So let's leave numbers out of it. Because we have no way of knowing what his total numbers will be let me ask you this. What is your gut reaction? 5-6 years after he retires do you think Adrian Beltre is a HOF'r? There are simply too many very good players that are not in the HOF. As I said before, Beltre will end up in the Rolen, Edmonds, Murphy, Dave Parker, Ken Boyer club of damn good players that just fall short.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
So let's leave numbers out of it. Because we have no way of knowing what his total numbers will be let me ask you this. What is your gut reaction? 5-6 years after he retires do you think Adrian Beltre is a HOF'r? There are simply too many very good players that are not in the HOF. As I said before, Beltre will end up in the Rolen, Edmonds, Murphy, Dave Parker, Ken Boyer club of damn good players that just fall short.

Well, my initial post in this thread prettymuch said I think he will need to gain some popularity (and stats) before real consideration or, as you say, he will probablly fall in the "Rolen, Edmonds, Murphy, Dave Parker, Ken Boyer club of damn good players that just fall short". But his production is undeniable, and as he gets closer to the big 2 (500 HR's / 3000 Hits) I think he will gain that. Again, this is obviously a big "IF", but if he can get clost to or actually achieve 500/3000 he is going to be a lock obviously. If he finishes with 450/2800 then his actual popularity is going to be the deciding factor.

None the less, he is having a great career, is a premier defensive player, staying strong and very productive in his 30's thus far, and showing no signs of slowing down. So my gut reaction is that IF he can stay somewhat productive for the next 5 or so years, he will be viewed as a hobby/sports star and his HOF worth will mostlikely be unquestioned at that point. But right now he is obviously on the fence (depending on the next 5 or so years). I just believe it will continually teeter towards HOF validity.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
All I can do is shake my head and laugh at people who are saying that when all is said and done, Beltre will have absolutely no shot at the HOF. Give me a break. The guy isn't even THAT far off of a HOF career and he's only 33. lol

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Are Beltre's stats significantly better than Fred McGriff's? Does hitting certain benchmarks automatically give a player "bonus marks" for HOF consideration?

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I have always wished the Sox had him longer, my favorite third baseman I've seen, hard nosed, gritty player, really excited for him to hit 3k!

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Are Beltre's stats significantly better than Fred McGriff's? Does hitting certain benchmarks automatically give a player "bonus marks" for HOF consideration?

I would be on the side that says no it shouldn't, but I think for a sport as steeped in numbers as baseball there will always be certain numbers that are just equated with greatness, whether it was 2,999 or 3,000 Clemente was the same player. I only pick Clemente because he was exactly on the number. I really like the McGriff to Beltre comparison. Two guys who were consistently among the best at their position for almost their entire career but never the best for an extended period of time, one will likely get in and one may not. I guess it's a good example of the line has to be drawn somewhere and apparently it's just north of a Tom Emansky defensive drills tape.

Members online