Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I bought a mirror blue a while back, and when it arrived, had an ugly scuff along the lower part of the card that really bugged me. Upon closer inspection, it appeared to be on the peel but I didn't want to run the risk of trying to peel it off and damaging the card. Another copy came up on eBay, but before I pulled the trigger I went ahead and peeled my copy. It was painstaking but I managed to do so successfully, and I was surprised that it really didn't make more of a difference on the "pop" of the card. The scuff is gone and the card clearly looks better, but otherwise, at least in my opinion, there isn't a huge difference in how the peel affects the finish of the card.

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I see no real difference in the "pop." I have only peeled cards that had a bad peel such as scuffs or scratches. The 1996 peels are far tougher than other years and the risk of damaging the card does not outweigh the film removal for the sake of removing.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the input guys... Seems to be one of the issues if the peel isn't messed up, the peel version is good enough to satisfy the collection. No need to really have both.

Ryan

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
This one is exceedingly sweet and rare for the Chipper Jones collector, not sure how the rest of the world feels about it:

1993 Bleacher Bums Gold Foil Variation Chipper Jones RC

attachment.php
attachment.php

Thought I just had a misc collection of Chippers coming in, saw this in the scan and figured it was the $4 regular version and didn't think anything of it. I figure it can probably fetch about $200 if I ever decide to let it go. A fun, unexpected find!

Is this a cataloged error/variation? Also, just out of curiosity, how do you come up with a price for that? Only interested as I have some oddball variations that just seem to be collecting dust... I have found that unless they are well known variations you need to find an experienced collector who 1) knows the rarity and 2) willing to fork over big bucks for something that most people have no idea about.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I sold my Andruw /18 (BGS 9.5) for $350 to someone claiming to be putting the set together and already had the /1 and /2 card. A few weeks later I hit a BIN on a PSA 9 for $18.00.

I wish this would have been my outcome. I'm still trying to replace mine :( Times on my side though lol

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Even as a "no peel" guy, I would agree with this sentiment. The cards look similar with peel and without. If it is in a holder it is tough to tell. The cards do grade better without peels IMHO though. The ppels often have bubbles underneath and can make the corners look less sharp for grading.

Thanks for the input guys... Seems to be one of the issues if the peel isn't messed up, the peel version is good enough to satisfy the collection. No need to really have both.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Even as a "no peel" guy, I would agree with this sentiment. The cards look similar with peel and without. If it is in a holder it is tough to tell. The cards do grade better without peels IMHO though. The ppels often have bubbles underneath and can make the corners look less sharp for grading.

Ok thanks. I'm prop gonna go the route of only 1 copy each. It's one of those things where if I have 2 of everything else with these "variations" how much will it bug me. Then again with these 96s, were talking an addition $2000+ to accomplish the 2nd set so that's another reason to call it good at 1.

Ryan

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I always buy every box of 97 Finest series 2 I see, one popped up Friday I got for $50 dlvd. Pulled this gem!! Not Griffey but will do! First good pull out of about of 10 boxes.

Members online