Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most Sought after 90's Insert/parallel

Most sought after 90's insert/parallel

• 93 Finest Refractor

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Fleer Starting 9

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Legacy Masterpiece

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 96 Select Certified Mirror Gold

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 97 Pinnacle Platinum Totally Certified Gold

• 98 Red Crusade

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Finest Embossed Gold Refractor

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • 97 PMG

• 98 PMG

• Other

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
This was an excellent poll posted elsewhere, and I wanted to duplicate it to see what we fellow FCBers would rate the most sought after 90's insert/parallel. What say ye?

EDIT: The 97 PMG should be 99 PMG. :)

Last edited:

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
For me it's the 1993 Refractor that started it all. There seems to be enough of those to go around for all of the PC collectors though. When you get to /25 it does get much harder, and the Crusade Red takes the cake there.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Mariano Rivera only has some of those. I went with the Starting 9. I have all the other but I've never even seen that one.

Scott F

Jul 22, 2016
For me it's the 1993 Refractor that started it all. There seems to be enough of those to go around for all of the PC collectors though. When you get to /25 it does get much harder, and the Crusade Red takes the cake there.
I personally think the Donruss Elite cards first brought up the issue of scarcity. After that it kind of trickles down until we get what we have today. Do we consider the 80s Fleer All star cards inserts? They were not part of the regular set and were radomly inserted into packs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I went with the crusade red. i remember the day i got it in hand, i officially became a player collector that day. pre internet the 93 finest was "thee" card as many as there were
almost imposible to find execept at shows for very big money.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold.

Oh and by the way, I wish someone would just go ahead and sell me a Kirby Puckett from that set.... Please?

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I personally think the Donruss Elite cards first brought up the issue of scarcity. After that it kind of trickles down until we get what we have today. Do we consider the 80s Fleer All star cards inserts? They were not part of the regular set and were radomly inserted into packs.

The Elite cards were absurdly rare as far as inserts went at the time, but the packs themselves were cheap. I remember going to card shows when 1993 Finest came out and they were selling for $20-$25 a pack. Getting a base card of your player was hard enough (with kid money), finding any refractor was hard enough. If you saw a refractor card of your player it was a true miracle!

Elite may have paved the way but 1993 Refractors were some of the first cards to be considered unobtainable. Of course when you have adult money you'll have the chance to own it based on the ~250 print run (253?), but it has the hype and legend to make it very significant in the grand scheme of things.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

LOVED THE ELITES!!!!
I Will Never Forget Pulling A Griffey Back In 1992
1992page.jpg

OriginalEGG

Feb 6, 2017
Never personally pulled an Elite, but I remember staring at a Griffey in my LCS (think it had a $120 or so price tag on it) as a kid and wanting it so bad. Ended up opening it on Xmas morning. Still have it, will never get rid of it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think it's 96 Certified Golds. 93 Finest is the iconic parallel set, but even by 96 241 copies seemed almost common. Going to a decent-sized show most modern card dealers had at least one or two on display, but there was probably only one Certified Gold in the whole room if you were lucky.

Personally, my Frank Thomas wantlist is topped by the 97 Finest Embossed Gold. But if I came across a 96 Gold I'd accept it.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Gee, why even include insert in the description when all of these are obviously parallels? Well, the red crusade is a parallel of an insert at least.