Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Topps Base Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Classy looking card. Doesn't look like base Topps, but maybe that's a good thing. I don't buy most of the other expensive sets, and I always build the main set, so it's cool for Topps to change it up for next year.

It does seem really early for Topps to release next year's design though. Does Topps usually show their new cards this soon, or am I just remembering the olden days when magazines showed the new designs in the winter?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

As someone who collects red refractors, I'm afraid the lack of borders won't make them stand out much like the crappy Topps Finest parallels.If Topps would make the background all red I would be in favor of it.But judging from previous releases I doubt they will, and they won't look much different than base.The 2013 Topps Finest red refractors with no autographs looked like garbage, and I still won't buy them.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Well I don't like it but I understand I am "old" and out of touch with anything that might be described as "cool" or "hip". I guess I don't mind the lack of borders and I do appreciate Topps mixing it up. It really is Topps' heavy reliance on filters that bugs the hell out of me I suppose. Looks like a crappy Topps card instead of being fresh and new

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
And I wish Topps would leave the great action photo's for Stadium Club and bring back more of the staged photo's for regular Topps.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Too many filters, should just be photographs. That bothers me more than the lack of borders, reminds me of the Inception set. I'd rather them more towards a Stadium Club like set than Five Star or Inception.

How do you do multiplayer cards? League leaders?

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Lack of borders makes it seem more like a Stadium Club design. Not a huge fan. I personally don't mind Borders on my baseball cards. Reminds me of the old days.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
The 2006 Bowman Sterling prospects had no borders.The red refractors look badass because Topps did a great job making them stand out because the whole background in red made the card really pop.If they would do that again I would buy the hell out of them.Unfortunately, all the crappy looking Topps Finest parallels that are borderless gives me little confidence they will look that sharp.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I love the full bleed, hate that topps is still using **** foil stamping for the name. I hate that since it makes the name on front harder to read.

I like the logo corner - reminds me of a piece of a fancy graphics package you might see on a baseball television broadcast.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Just curious as to how grading will work for these as far as centering is concerned.

I imagine graders will use the back of the card since I"m sure there will be borders there or at least consistent graphical elements you can measure to determine "centering".

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Centering on this design can be judged by the lower right corner. If the space is even T/B and L/R, it's probably centered, unless it's OC both directions an equal amount. A long time ago I had a conversation with a Beckett rep about how they judge centering on truly asymmetrically designed cards, his answer was basically,"We know what proper centering is."

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
looking at the card design again on a blog post, I think you may be able use for reference the nameplate on the front for centering (distance from the tip of the nameplate to the edge of the card). It looks like that may stay the same length regardless of how long or short the player's name is.

Too bad Beckett doesn't release a full bleed centering overview so submitters who are trying to figure out if a card is worth sending in for grading know what two points Beckett uses on a full bleed card to determine the centering subgrade.

Members online

Latest posts