Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Your Favorite Team's Prospects What Do When They Are Traded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Just wondering how fellow team/prospect collectors feel when your team deals away players you collect or have stashes of. Do you keep them waiting for a call up/breakout game or dump immediately?

Since I got back into collecting in 2008, I have seen the Rangers deal several players I had at the time PC cards of Salty, Teagarden, Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter from the big league club.

I haven't had much to worry about in regards to prospects but I was on pins and needles last season that Martin Perez, Profar or Olt (still possible) would be dealt.

But now that Topps has included a lot of Ranger prospects in 2012 Bowman Chrome and Draft it has me very skeptical of buying in on them.

When they are dealt I normally prefer them out of my collection. I tend to lose money on what I spent on their cards.

So maybe staying away from prospecting my team and only buying certain players I'm not going to be attached to or wait until they are on the big league team is the way to go.

Your thoughts and opinions and share your stories of dumping your teams ex-prospects.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Can easily happen when they are on the big league club as well. My PC guy was Latos and he got traded out of nowhere last off season, I still have a bunch of high end Latos I don't exactly know what to do with.

With the Rangers, there's no guarantee that if you were to buy someone like Profar right now (after his debut) that he would be on the team any longer than anyone else. Rangers could stick w Andrus, or Profar could easily be in Andrus' shoes in a few years.

Its one of my gripes with modern sports but the days of players staying with one them throughout their careers is pretty slim. The fun part about collecting Padres prospects is that I get to follow their rise through the minors which is not only an investment/gambling but also entertainment.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
You should move the traded guy from your PC over to your prospect stash and sell when/if he sees a price bump. No need to dump him immediately, he's still a prospect and should be sold accordingly

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I went through this when Milwaukee moved both Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain to KC. I'll still sell if I see a bump, but I just look at all the stuff I have and don't even care about it (and I had one of the nicest Escobar stashes around, if I do say so).

I feel your pain brother.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I typically sell immediately. I collespect - only the Phillies. If they're not a Phil prospect, they're dead to me (on rare occasions I venture outside the Phillies prospects and usually don't do well).

Other than D'Arnaud (and potentially Singleton), I can't think of a single guy who went up after leaving Philly.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I have asked myself this question from time to time. I kinda half prospect my team because I feel it makes it more interesting. Normally what I do however is pick up more than one copy of any particular card and if they are traded, I will sell the extra copies and keep the one I have left for my personal collection because they are featured in my team's uniform. Yes, I understand the uniform is more than likely photoshopped for bowman chrome releases, but still depicts the team and that's all I care about.

wolters03

Feb 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
My situation is a little weird but it keeps from anything like this happening. My favorite team is the Twins, but my favorite player is Justin Upton. So if Upton gets traded it really doesnt matter to me because I have no ties to the Diamondbacks. Just don't ask me how this came to be because I really don't know.

On a side note. It looks like your prospecting and collecting at the same time with the same players. It is best to keep all your prospecting guys seperate from your collection, but even when you prospect a player from another team their is still the chance that you have a tough time dumping that player when it comes time due to the ties you built with that player while building your stash. Remember alot of times its about the journey and not the destination. That is what makes this hobby great!

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I stash a lot of Cardinals chrome, if they get traded I'll hold them til they do something to warrant selling. I also sell my Cardinals prospects when they get called up, usually only keeping a blue ref for my pc. If I guy just runs his course and is released and done with baseball I've often sent the player a chunk of some of their rarer cards; they seem to appreciate it.

speedmasterp

Nov 5, 2012
Baltimore, MD
How do you get in touch with the players to send them his cards?

I'm one who is tied to the team aspect of it. For the old stuff (prior to 2011) my goal is to just get 1 of each color chrome. For the new guys, if the price is right I'll buy multiple and stash them. If the time comes to sell and make a profit, I'll just keep 1 of each color and sell the rest. If there is never a time to profit, they will happily stay in my PC. I feel like it's a win/win that way.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
I collect Twins prospects and have them in my PC. I have only been doing it for about 2 years so I haven't had to deal with any major prospects being traded yet, but I would imagine I would move them right away if I could get the same amount of money for them that I had into them and then put that money back into my collection. I'll pick up multiples of players so that if they get called up and make a splash then I can sell all of my extras (hopefully for a profit), and then be able to keep one of each in my PC. Carlos Gutierrez was the first Twins prospect that I had cards of that was just moved (to the Cubs) so I'm looking to move them, but I'm also not going to dump them for nothing.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I now wait for a player to establish himself with the big league team. The end result is more buying options at lower prices.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I buy Cubs prospects but only certain ones. I normally don't touch the high buy ones like Baez, Vogelbach and Soler but pick up mid level ones and if they get traded then I dump them

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
As a team collector I don't understand the "dump em" approach at all. They are still cards of your team. I can understand dumping them if you have extras but otherwise you are trading/selling away cards of the team you collect. Do the dumpers also sell off cards of established stars once they are traded or leave via free agency? Your collections must be undergoing constant turnover, the only cards you'd keep forever would be guys that retired with your team.

But I guess everybody gets enjoyment out of the hobby in different ways.

Richard

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
As a team collector I don't understand the "dump em" approach at all. They are still cards of your team. I can understand dumping them if you have extras but otherwise you are trading/selling away cards of the team you collect. Do the dumpers also sell off cards of established stars once they are traded or leave via free agency? Your collections must be undergoing constant turnover, the only cards you'd keep forever would be guys that retired with your team.

But I guess everybody gets enjoyment out of the hobby in different ways.

Richard

For me, I dump because they don't match my PC. My Cardinal related PC's are Cert Auto's in a Cardinals Uni and RC's; both only of guys to have played for the big league squad. I only need 1 auto and 1 RC. But I really do try to only keep one, if I upgrade my auto I sell or trade off the one it's replacing. I stash Cardinals prospects because I follow them and it makes it more interesting for me.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
As a Red Sox fan, I learned my lesson with a couple of players. I didn't have stashes necessarily, but I had a few Chrome autos of Anthony Rizzo and Josh Reddick. I thought they were going into markets that would be bad for their value. Rizzo spiked in SD, and then spiked big with the Cubs. Reddick had a decent spike with the As. I sold them after they were traded for pennies on the dollar simply because they were not on my team anymore. So my advice is make an honest assessment about the player's ability and decide based on that.

Members online