Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stephen Strasburg & Nationals Agree to 7-Year/$175M Extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Nice deal for Stephen Strasburg. If someone threw 175 million in front of me, I'd take it too. Some how I feel the Nats are going to regret this. Based on his latest success this deal fits, but Strasburg also had the infamous TJ a while back. He seems like the kind of guy who will get injured before the deal is up. Risky IMO.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Any info on limits on his use? Number of innings, pitches, that kind of thing?

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Strasburg gets an additional $1 million bonus each season he hits 180 IP under the terms of the extension.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
attachment.php

Show 'em off.

I sadly dont have much Strasburg

stras_zpslymniyoj.jpg

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
These are a couple of my lowest #'d Strasburgs (1/25, /35):

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• strasburg.red.ice.13b.lrg.os.jpg
    strasburg.red.ice.13b.lrg.os.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 108
  • STRASBURG.STATIC.REF.35.14BC.NS.jpg
    STRASBURG.STATIC.REF.35.14BC.NS.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 120

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
This contract won't look good on the back-end but I don't think Washington cares, they just wanted to make sure they locked him up past this year. He's worth it for sure.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i always laugh as these mega buck deals. Name a mega dollar contract where the athlete has performed better after the deal than before. Maybe it's the late hour and thus I'm off to bed, but I am only thinking right now of the athletes where the performance after the deal has been okay to a bust.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
i always laugh as these mega buck deals. Name a mega dollar contract where the athlete has performed better after the deal than before. Maybe it's the late hour and thus I'm off to bed, but I am only thinking right now of the athletes where the performance after the deal has been okay to a bust.

Zito :D

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Nats got a great deal in the current market. Plus, he was slated to be a free agent this year and now the best SP is off the board.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He's the right age to be giving this kind of deal. Any huge contract is high risk but this one is IMO a better play than most.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I think it was a good move by the Nats to keep Strasburg. They should have a great starting rotation for the next few years with Scherzer, Roark, Gonzalez, and Ross. And now the free agent market for starting pitchers this fall is completely barren.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Yes, this generally seems to hold true. If you think about it the initiative to go the extra mile to be their best every day is no longer there. I imagine there are players who care more about the game than their pay day (as in it simply being their job) and just want to go out and win a World Series (Fowler comes to mind) or land up in the HOF some day but I'd imagine these type of players are the exception. I've always been against these lengthy contracts because after a player has surpassed their prime years (26-32) they are bound to regress (with some few exceptions like Randy Johnson) and the team will be stuck with them because no other teams are willing to take on the contract so they have to eat most of the contract in order to get rid of them.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think it was a good move by the Nats to keep Strasburg. They should have a great starting rotation for the next few years with Scherzer, Roark, Gonzalez, and Ross. And now the free agent market for starting pitchers this fall is completely barren.

Isn't Gio a FA this year?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

A lot of that has to do with the age many player are when they sign those contracts and the fact that people mostly talk about the last example. For example Miggy's first mega contract with the Tigers was an awesome deal for the team. His recent extension likely won't be and many people will only remember the latter one.

Of course in all of this it's also about supply and demand. With rising revenues there is more money to spend, and at the same time fewer big names are reaching free agency, so you have to pay for your guys or be limited in your options on the market.

Members online

Latest posts