Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ASG winner getting home field for the WS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think it's an abomination. Not sure if it really improves anything though. I guess it's better than just going every other year IN Theory? I don't know. I'm starting to think it might be time to move the AS game to the end of the season. In this day and age it just isn't going to mean what it once did no matter how many tricks you throw at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
A insanely stupid idea.

Classic over-reaction decision (again) by Bud and there's no way it should still be in place.

The rules about every team has to have a player is now stupid too, even though it was a good idea in past.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I like the idea of adding sometime to the ASG so that the players have something tangible to play for (see NBA all-star games for what happens when it means absolutely nothing), but A) home field advantage in the WS is a pretty big prize B) not every player in an ASG really has incentive to go all out for HFA (teams 18 games behind at the break really don't care I'd imagine).

What if instead of home field advantage, the winning league got 1st game at home? Best record still got 4 out of 7 games, but if the other league won the ASG they got game 1 at home. Keeps the game worth something but just not as much.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I love All Star week. I love all the festivities. The Derby, Futures Game, Celebrity Softball game, and the game itself.

I love that it's a popularity vote by the fans, and then the managers when they get to pick their own guys. To me, that's the way it should be. It should be fun for the fans, and the managers should be able to pick their own guys if they want to. They're the ones who made it to the World Series the previous season, good for them, take care of your own guys if you choose to do so.

No problem with any of that whatsoever.

But the game shouldn't count. That's the only part of the weekend that I don't care for.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm a fan.

It encourages the players to actually try to win the AS game, which makes it worth watching. MLB AS game is always good to watch (and usually a close game) unlike it's other sport counterparts which is equivalent to watching paint dry.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
If the All-Star game actually had all the best players from each league playing each other (which they never do because of fan voting) I may not be so opposed to the idea.

I understand the reason why they did this, as it makes the All-Star game meaningful but I'd still rather have home field advantage be based on a regular season outcome.

I know I said "worst idea ever" (bit of an exaggeration) but in the end, it's not that big of a deal for me as my teams rarely ever make it anyways.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
If the All-Star game actually had all the best players from each league playing each other (which they never do because of fan voting) I may not be so opposed to the idea.

I understand the reason why they did this, as it makes the All-Star game meaningful but I'd still rather have home field advantage be based on a regular season outcome.

I know I said "worst idea ever" (bit of an exaggeration) but in the end, it's not that big of a deal for me as my teams rarely ever make it anyways.
Question for ya....who didn't make this years All Star game that should have? I think Yelich and Viillar should have made it but otherwise both teams have the games best players.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Question for ya....who didn't make this years All Star game that should have? I think Yelich and Viillar should have made it but otherwise both teams have the games best players.

First of all, Springer was a terrible miss, and every year there are a couple. Alot of times a lesser player makes it just 'cuz he's the most worthy from a bad team. No way would Voght, Beltran, Colone, Nunez in just the AL should have made it over a better player who got snubbed. The NL has it pretty right this year, but that is the exception. Plus, those players are usually from lousier teams and shouldn't determine things for the better teams.

And none of that even addresses the problems with the best Starters missing the game simply because of their turn coming up on Sunday.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Without even looking at stats Jake Lamb (leads NL in slg%, OPS, ISO, triples and many other advanced metrics) & George Springer (3.5 WAR) were both more deserving than many of the reserves (many whom are just chosen because every team must have a player on the team which is another ridiculous aspect of the All-Star game). The NL is full of Cubs players who are not close to being the best at their positions such as Ben Zobrist & Addison Russell. ALL the best NL pitchers will not be pitching for various reasons (Kershaw, Bumgarner, Syndergaard, Strasburg) which gives a massive advantage to the AL. With all these undeserving Cubs players and none of the best NL pitchers on the roster I don't see how the AL could possibly lose.

That's just off the top of my head, if I decided to check out the stats I'm sure I could point many other disappointments out.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
First of all, Springer was a terrible miss, and every year there are a couple. Alot of times a lesser player makes it just 'cuz he's the most worthy from a bad team. No way would Voght, Beltran, Colone, Nunez in just the AL should have made it over a better player who got snubbed. The NL has it pretty right this year, but that is the exception. Plus, those players are usually from lousier teams and shouldn't determine things for the better teams.

And none of that even addresses the problems with the best Starters missing the game simply because of their turn coming up on Sunday.
I'm a big fan of Springer, but I can't say that he deserves to be in the AS game over any of the selected outfielders. Your post shows how criminally underrated Beltran is, as he is on pace to have one of his best season of his long career. Nunez is also having an insanely under the radar season, as he is on pace for 20+ HR, 30+ 2B, 40+ SB, and a .320 BA. Usually 1 utility IF will be selected for each team as it gives managers more flexibility during the game, but Nunez is 1000% worthy of a selection this year. I'll assume you meant Alex Colome because you are talking about the AL team, I'm curious as to which relief pitcher you think deserves a spot over him? I know I'm coming off as a *****, but I think you need to check out some of these guys statistics instead of solely looking at names. I'll give you Vogt though, that one is a head scratcher....but it won't make a lick of difference in determining who wins the game.

Probably the only thing that bothers me is that every team has to have a player represented. I completely understand why it is that way but some years there is 1 team that doesn't have any worthy players, but again....it literally doesn't make any difference on the outcome of the game.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Without even looking at stats Jake Lamb (leads NL in slg%, OPS, ISO, triples and many other advanced metrics) & George Springer (3.5 WAR) were both more deserving than many of the reserves (many whom are just chosen because every team must have a player on the team which is another ridiculous aspect of the All-Star game). The NL is full of Cubs players who are not close to being the best at their positions such as Ben Zobrist & Addison Russell. ALL the best NL pitchers will not be pitching for various reasons (Kershaw, Bumgarner, Syndergaard, Strasburg) which gives a massive advantage to the AL. With all these undeserving Cubs players and none of the best NL pitchers on the roster I don't see how the AL could possibly lose.

That's just off the top of my head, if I decided to check out the stats I'm sure I could point many other disappointments out.
I'll put a friendly $5 bet on the NL team winning, even with those pitchers not playing in the game they still have the better overall staff IMO.

I will say that Russell and Vogt are the 2 that stand out to me that probably should not have made the team....to say otherwise is nitpicking really, but these are the best players in baseball this year. Yes there might be a few pitchers who will be inactive but they still made the team. (And I did chuckle, Jordan, when you said 'none' of the best pitchers in the NL are on the team....when the likes of Scherzer, Arrieta, Fernandez, Cueto, etc...are on the team. ;) )

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

Cueto complete game shut out

Members online

Latest posts