Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Today's photo of the day.......Geeez, I forgot he played for them!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day will be a bit different as I wanted to feature players we all know and love but in uniforms that will surprise, and maybe even shock you. Many players played for teams near the end of their career that were different than who we remember them being great for so to see some of these guys in a uniform that is not how we remember them can be somewhat surprising.

Lets start out with an obvious one.....

Joe Dimaggio started out his professional baseball career with the Seals of the Pacific Coast League before being purchased by the New York Yankees in the mid- 1930's. The Yankee Clipper spent his whole major league career in New York....or did he?

attachment.php

In this photo we see Dimaggio pictured with his brother Dom on the left and Red Sox pitcher Tex Hughson in the middle. Joe was scheduled to appear in an exhibition game at Fenway Park in 1946 and was forced to wear a Red Sox uniform for two innings while waiting for his uniform to arrive.

Perhaps even more jarring than seeing the Yankee legend in an enemy uniform, is to see him in living color, sporting the colors of the Oakland Athletics where he spent the better part of two seasons as a coach with the team. Oddly enough, despite the fact he played many years in the Majors, DiMaggio needed two more seasons to reach the highest pension amount he could obtain and the only way to do this was to work with his friend, Athletics owner Charlie Finely and ask for an on the field coaches position. DiMaggio would complete his service in Oakland and never wore another uniform other than the Yankee pinstripes again.

attachment.php

Duke Snider roamed center field for the Brooklyn Dodgers and later the Los Angeles Colosseum when the Dodgers made their dramatic move to the City of Angels in 1958. We are used to seeing him in the familiar Dodger blue in the photo below.

attachment.php

Many baseball fans also know that when Dukes playing days were done for Dem Bums, he roamed the outfield for the startup New York Mets who played their first two seasons at the old and ancient Polo Grounds as part of Casey Stengel's rehabilitation projects.

attachment.php

The Duke of Flatbush would go on to play with the Giants before closing out his hall of fame career. Snider was brought out of retirement to be the television announcer for the expansion team San Diego Padres and would later go on to spend 13 seasons as the voice of the Montreal Expos. It is with the Expos that we see a rather odd photo of Duke, dressed up in garb of the Expos that really makes him look out of place.

attachment.php

I could go on and on with the greats who appeared in uniforms other than those we remember them in.

Richie Ashburn as a Cub

attachment.php

Jim Bouton as a Seattle Pilot when he wrote his famous book Ball Four

attachment.php

And even Babe Ruth at the end of his career with the Boston Braves.

attachment.php

Pete Rose with the Expos

attachment.php

Henry Aaron with the Brewers

attachment.php

And even Willie Mays with the Mets

attachment.php

I would be interested to see what other players everyone can come up with who played in uniforms that we forgot they played for. Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Attachments

• Joe Dimaggio in red sox uniform.jpg
    Joe Dimaggio in red sox uniform.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 255
  • Joe dimaggio-athletics.jpg
    Joe dimaggio-athletics.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Duke Snider Carl Erskine at the cage.jpg
    Duke Snider Carl Erskine at the cage.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 243
  • CrdurPRWcAAj5SN.jpg
    CrdurPRWcAAj5SN.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Duke Snider Expos.jpg
    Duke Snider Expos.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Richie Ashburn kneeling Cubs.jpg
    Richie Ashburn kneeling Cubs.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Jim Bouton.jpg
    Jim Bouton.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Babe Ruth Braves Lou Gehrig.jpg
    Babe Ruth Braves Lou Gehrig.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 228
  • pete rose expos.jpg
    pete rose expos.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 344
  • henry aaron brewers.jpg
    henry aaron brewers.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 232
  • mays.jpg
    mays.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 228

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
DiMaggio on the Red Sox? Mind. Blown.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Even worse than the Mets, Snider played a partial season for the Giants. He was affiliated with the Expos later for a good many years as a broadcaster, so that is not as unusual to see.
attachment.php

Attachments

• duke_snider_giants.jpg
    duke_snider_giants.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 313

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
On the flip side, I love to see some really good players who appeared only shortly with the Dodgers. That list is substantial, but here is one that might surprise a few folks, as there were no cards to capture the event at the time.

Boog Powell was a Dodger!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1978-BOOG-POWEEL-CAREER-CAPPER.jpg
    1978-BOOG-POWEEL-CAREER-CAPPER.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 209

Cb2222

Wow! Great pictures. Here is one that comes to mind for me: Mike Piazza as a Marlin

9fb26221cfd0f5b54b0d1333c2c8493e.jpg

Collecting Will Clark, Jay Buhner, Kyle Seager, Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, Taijuan Walker and Christian Yelich rookie and autos.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Awesome thread!
I thought the DiMaggio was photoshopped and you were kidding. But then I kept reading and woah, it's real!
And I always thought he looked weird in the A's colors.

Duke Snider in an Expos uniform is freaky too. I didn't know he was their announcer.
And of course The Babe as a Boston Brave is always weird to see.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1473567020238.jpg

Never played for them but was traded to the team.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts