Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With All the Prospects Getting Traded...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
With all the big time prospects who have Bowman Chrome Autos getting traded over the past couple of years (Wil Myers, Trevor Bauer, Travis D'Arnaud, Jesus Montero, Jacob Turner, Jarrod Parker, etc.) do you think people are going to start preferring cards with these guys in non-major league uniforms, instead of their former team's uniforms? For example, EEE, USA, and Leaf products

I think that once a prospect changes teams and the card has him pictured in a different uniform it affects the prices, even if they go to a "better" organization.

What do you all think?

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I personally agree. I have no interest in the Yasmani Grandal or Yonder Alonso chrome autos from their Reds days.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I would agree also. My interest in the cards of a player would be greatly diminished if they were in the uniform of another team.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The focus will be towards teams that these prospects play their first MLB game in; having that first year card isn't as nice, when the prospect pictured has been traded already.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
I personally agree. I have no interest in the Yasmani Grandal or Yonder Alonso chrome autos from their Reds days.

Good examples. A couple more players that got traded recently that have Chrome Autographs: Mat Latos, Jake Marisnick, Jean Segura, Gio Gonzalez, and even Hanley Ramirez who I believe's chrome auto would be higher if he didn't get traded as a prospect.

Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
It may sound harsh but switching teams really ruins the MLB fantasy thing (and its really tough to argue that its NOT a fantasy) of that card altogether for many people when the player never makes that team's MLB roster for whatever reason.

1999-bowman-hamilton.jpg

Although to be fair I suppose Josh really could play with the Rays some day...

I've definitely been outspoken about this... and agree with the OP its a huge reason to prefer the real MiLB unis. Besides, the MiLB could certainly use the support.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Aflac autos are a nice alternative, they're certified and usually out before or at the same time of the 1st chrome. The weird thing about the Aflac autos is they really vary player to player. Haven't checked Harper Aflac sales but isn't that the best selling Harper? And I have no idea how the Maybin chrome Aflac is still roughly $100, yet most Aflac autos seem to sell under the radar.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
FWIW, I prefer cards of a player on a team that he was only on (or in the minor league system of) briefly. Whether it is the team they were originally on, or a brief stop later in their careers.

ie. Hamilton with the Devil Rays, Han-Ram with the Sox, Vlad / Sosa / Reggie with the Orioles, Pete Rose with the Expos, etc.

However I know this is pretty random and few others collect this way!

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Collectors may care but spur of the moment buyers don't. If Grandal plays average baseball it can affect his value, if he plays hot baseball it doesn't matter what uniform he has on. Female buyers are the best when a ball player gets hot, they could care less what uniform he has on and what type of card he signed.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Agreed as a team collector it loses its luster. As a prospector all you care about is making more money than you invested.

Chrome is king and airbrushed logos make the player photo look like they just are missing something.

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I went after Segura Chromes as soon as he was traded and Hellweg autos as well when they hit. I didn't care that they were in the wrong uni.

Productivity trumps all though, and if dude plays, it won't matter.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I mainly collect White Sox. I don't care if a card is of the guy with a former team, college, USA, or whatever. It's all the same to me - it's a non-Sox card regardless of the uniform, so the uniform on the front doesn't factor in to which card I prefer.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Agreed as a team collector it loses its luster. As a prospector all you care about is making more money than you invested.

Chrome is king and airbrushed logos make the player photo look like they just are missing something.

As a prospector though, I believe that it is in your best interest to have the player you invested in not get traded, so you don't have to deal with new team / old team differences and loose potential customers because of this. I think your profit margin would be highest if the player stays on the team that is pictured on the card.

That is of course they do not get traded to the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, or Dodgers because these teams have enough fans that are willing to spend money and it seems they don't care what uniform the player is in.

I just think that the prospects who get traded and are not on their team pictured on the card, the card looses value regardless of how they play. Sure you can still make money, but I believe that you won't make all of what you were supposed to make had the player stayed with the original team.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I think more than anything just being part of another team at any point effects value to some extent. Almost every team's legends played their entire careers with one team.

Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I feel like it's likely a bad sign if a guy gets traded while in the minors. It makes me second guess a guy's talent, considering the original team would keep them if they really thought they had a future star on their hands. No one is trading a Griffey, Jeter, or Pujols while in the minors for anything.

The very best guys I could come up without looking, that were traded while in the minors were, Hanley Ramirez, Sandberg, Bagwell, Cliff Lee, and Varitek.

TramFan3

Dec 7, 2008
And Smoltz... doh.

I think more than anything just being part of another team at any point effects value to some extent. Almost every team's legends played their entire careers with one team.

Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but I feel like it's likely a bad sign if a guy gets traded while in the minors. It makes me second guess a guy's talent, considering the original team would keep them if they really thought they had a future star on their hands. No one is trading a Griffey, Jeter, or Pujols while in the minors for anything.

The very best guys I could come up without looking, that were traded while in the minors were, Hanley Ramirez, Sandberg, Bagwell, Cliff Lee, and Varitek.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
So do you guys think that if Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun, Evan Longoria, David Price, or Jered Weaver got traded as prospects, they would all sell the same as they do now?

I doubt that to be honest.

Members online

Latest posts