Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone watch that $11,000 1973 Topps box break on Blowout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I've only read about it, the link I clicked for video didn't work for me.

Basically, $17.50 per random player.

No Schmidt or anything of high value basically is what has been said.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'll never understand vintage wax prices, but I understand the thrill. Really tough to break even or even remotely close I would think.

Ryan

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Vintage unopened is for rich idiots. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. But you DO have to be a rich idiot to bust it. This slotting technique was an atrocity, though. Just another razz perpetrated by the stand-up people over at Blowout.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I know two guys who break vintage boxes from time to time and do very well at it. Guys who certainly arent idiots but guys who know what they are doing. Some top condition HOF cards come out of those boxes and in case youve been living in a box are exploding in price.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'm sure it's out there to be found, but if someone is up to speed and can share, how were the spots decided?

I have only semi-seriously considered a spot in a box break a few times, but never really felt like I was willing to spend good money on a random chance to win. I never pulled the trigger. My wife buys the lottery tickets in our household and some could say that it is no different than me buying them since it is from the same household and it would be great to win, but I prefer to get something solid for my money. Safe, but no chance to score the big one that way…much like opening any packs these days. The lottery aspect and higher costs of product has long ago killed my interest in opening packs.

Even at $17 for a spot, I would have no interest in a spot in a break like that. I still collect for fun and never embraced the grading aspect of the hobby so there isn't a card in that set that I'd pay $17 for except the Cey card! :D I guess it should be said that I have pretty much every star from that set already too, so I am not current on what the bigger names do sell for. There may be a handful of cards that are a deal at $17, but I already have one if that is the case.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
Vintage unopened is for rich idiots. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. But you DO have to be a rich idiot to bust it. This slotting technique was an atrocity, though. Just another razz perpetrated by the stand-up people over at Blowout.

Caveat emptor.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I know two guys who break vintage boxes from time to time and do very well at it. Guys who certainly arent idiots but guys who know what they are doing. Some top condition HOF cards come out of those boxes and in case youve been living in a box are exploding in price.

What have they busted and what was their profit margin?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Do you ever just think maybe people like Joe who deals in vintage and grades would know what he's talking about?

Seriously. Vintage cards and the grading of those cards is a huge business. Just do a little research...

I know all about it. And I know that busting vintage wax that costs $5,000+ is almost always a losing proposition. Not always. Almost always. You can act like it's some secret club that anyone can join, but I'll stick by my opinion that it's for rich idiots. Using outliers as examples of why it is profitable is absurd. 9 times out of 10 you will lose your ass.

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I know all about it. And I know that busting vintage boxes that cost $5,000+ is almost always a losing proposition. Not always. Almost always. You can act like it's some secret club that anyone can join, but I'll stick by my opinion that it's for rich idiots. Using outliers as examples of why it is profitable is absurd. 9 times out of 10 you will lose money.

So basically you just described the opening of ANY product that costs a considerable amount and the risk.

what are you putting the odds at on opening any product?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
So basically you just described the opening of ANY product that costs a considerable amount and the risk.

what are you putting the odds at on opening any product?

There is a LOT more risk involved when you are in essence betting on condition of cards from unopened packs/boxes/cases that are 35+ years old. I'm not even sure that you don't know that. Just looking to argue I guess.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Meaning I know the guys and they have made a good amount of money. Just because you think its a dumb move does not mean others are not profitting and having a blast. I can careless if you dont believe me but Id venture to say most on these boards do. I could always ask for their detailed books just for you though. LOL.

I'm implying that anyone can just say anything on the internet.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Cmon it's $17 a spot. I'd much rather do that then buy a blaster of anything.

The odds aren't any different than anything else...it's just that the stakes are higher.