Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jake Peavy Traded to the Giants For Edwin Escobar/Heath Hembree

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The Red Sox will get Giants prospects Edwin Escobar and Heath Hembree in the deal, pending approval.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
My thoughts as well. Hope they pan out, can never have too many pitching prospects.

Question now is if we can get Joc Pederson from LA for Lester?...and then re-sign Lester in the off-season!

If Lester is traded to the Yankees, who would NY be willing to give up that would make sense for Boston?

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I've seen a lot of both of these guys in fresno. Hembree IMO isn't an mlb closer. He sits at 90/91 and hasn't been able to develop a secondary pitch. Hes 25 and is in his third season at the AAA level. To me he is a AAAA guy that might a chance at the mlb level but won't stick.
Escobar is a LHP that has an 88 mph fastball and good off speed offerings. He could develop into a 4/5 or he could bust. He got hit hard every time I saw him pitch this year.
I don't think the giants gave up much. Law is better than Hembree anyway and Escobar took a big step back this year. Bring peavy.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Question now is if we can get Joc Pederson from LA for Lester?...and then re-sign Lester in the off-season!

If Lester is traded to the Yankees, who would NY be willing to give up that would make sense for Boston?

No you can't get Joc from the LAD. They would never give that up for Lester if they didn't have a guarantee that he would resign.

Why in the world would they trade Lester to the Yanks. That wouldn't happen in a million years.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA

Red Sox would never trade Lester within the division, and I don't think Yankees have enough talent to land him as it is. If LAD are willing to give up Pederson then you make the trade and like you said, re-sign him in the offseason. So essentially you would be paying what like $30m for a #1 prospect? (Assuming Lester would have accepted a 5/$125m offer during the season) That's worth it in my eyes. Tell Lester "Hey going to trade you to a contender so you have a chance at another WS ring and it makes us a better team for the future...when you're a FA we will offer you such and such and you can finish your career in Boston."

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
No you can't get Joc from the LAD. They would never give that up for Lester if they didn't have a guarantee that he would resign.

Why in the world would they trade Lester to the Yanks. That wouldn't happen in a million years.
It depends on how bad the Dodgers want to win a WS. If they feel this is their year, then you get the best available SP on the trade market who is a proven ace in October. Keep in mind the Dodgers essentially are in the midst of a 5 year window that they NEED to win a WS or else all of the money they spent on all these players will have gone to waste. If they were to obtain Lester then I personally don't think there is a team that could beat them come October because as we all know, starting pitching is what wins you games in the postseason.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
It depends on how bad the Dodgers want to win a WS. If they feel this is their year, then you get the best available SP on the trade market who is a proven ace in October. Keep in mind the Dodgers essentially are in the midst of a 5 year window that they NEED to win a WS or else all of the money they spent on all these players will have gone to waste. If they were to obtain Lester then I personally don't think there is a team that could beat them come October because as we all know, starting pitching is what wins you games in the postseason.

I find it highly highly unlikely the Dodgers give up one of the top prospects in baseball for a 2 month rental, even if they think they need it for a WS. They need pederson and Lester w/ an extension or Price are the only ones that would net it.

Yanks could acquire Lester if they offered the farm. Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Jagielo, Clarkin gets it done easily IMO but the Yanks would be stupid to do that. Lester only has a few good years left.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I've seen a lot of both of these guys in fresno. Hembree IMO isn't an mlb closer. He sits at 90/91 and hasn't been able to develop a secondary pitch. Hes 25 and is in his third season at the AAA level. To me he is a AAAA guy that might a chance at the mlb level but won't stick.
Escobar is a LHP that has an 88 mph fastball and good off speed offerings. He could develop into a 4/5 or he could bust. He got hit hard every time I saw him pitch this year.
I don't think the giants gave up much. Law is better than Hembree anyway and Escobar took a big step back this year. Bring peavy.

Uehara sits 88-91.

Both guys could develop with proper coaching. Seems to be some solid potential at least in these guys.

LA is desperate to win.

NY needs pitching. If NY gets involved, it's a rent-a-pitcher type deal, and I think it would have to be a 3-way trade, as I don't see anyone in their system that Boston would want/need right now.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Without a guarantee to sign long term with whatever club Lester is offered to, the prospects won't be nearly the caliber of what you guys are dreaming on in this thread.

But it's good to know the Red Sox have officially thrown in the towel, I'm going again tonight, hopefully the Rays get another W and inch closer to contention.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I find it highly highly unlikely the Dodgers give up one of the top prospects in baseball for a 2 month rental, even if they think they need it for a WS. They need pederson and Lester w/ an extension or Price are the only ones that would net it.

Yanks could acquire Lester if they offered the farm. Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Jagielo, Clarkin gets it done easily IMO but the Yanks would be stupid to do that. Lester only has a few good years left.

Zoilo Almonte has been hot of late, so if it's a rent a pitcher type deal, I could see the Yankees letting Almonte go in that case. But would Boston do it? Prob take one more guy from the list you mentioned.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Without a guarantee to sign long term with whatever club Lester is offered to, the prospects won't be nearly the caliber of what you guys are dreaming on in this thread.

But it's good to know the Red Sox have officially thrown in the towel, I'm going again tonight, hopefully the Rays get another W and inch closer to contention.

Agree. But its mostly Red Sox fans saying they can get that. Nobody gives up top top prospects for 2 month rentals without a guarantee of a long term deal.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Zoilo Almonte has been hot of late, so if it's a rent a pitcher type deal, I could see the Yankees letting Almonte go in that case. But would Boston do it? Prob take one more guy from the list you mentioned.

You think it could get done with Almonte and one guy from that list? I'd do that in a heart beat. Almonte is a fourth outfielder and will be forever.

Boston is playing this season pretty badly IMO. They are clinging to the hope they can get back in it but they need to start selling. No chance they make the playoffs.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA

What does that have to do with trading for him to help win a WS? If the Dodgers were to get Lester it would guarantee that they would finish first in their division, no need for the Wild Card game drama, and they would be HEAVY WS favorites. Their playoff rotation would be Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Ryu....which team can match that??

The Red Sox aren't going to trade Lester for anything less than a #1 prospect....the way Lester is pitching this year he can be the difference maker between winning it all or not. You don't think that if the Dodgers lose the WS (or don't make it to the WS) they won't regret not going hard after Lester? It's a steep price to pay but the teams who want to win are the ones who are willing to make that deal.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
You think it could get done with Almonte and one guy from that list? I'd do that in a heart beat. Almonte is a fourth outfielder and will be forever.

Boston is playing this season pretty badly IMO. They are clinging to the hope they can get back in it but they need to start selling. No chance they make the playoffs.
I hope they start selling. Trade Lester, Gomes, Drew, Uehara, heck even Napoli if they can get a decent return. No need to cling on to these guys if we are not going to make the playoffs. The only guy I would not want them to trade that I've heard teams have heavy interest in is Andrew Miller...I can see him being Uehara's replacement next year.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
What does that have to do with trading for him to help win a WS? If the Dodgers were to get Lester it would guarantee that they would finish first in their division, no need for the Wild Card game drama, and they would be HEAVY WS favorites. Their playoff rotation would be Kershaw, Lester, Grienke, Ryu....which team can match that??

The Red Sox aren't going to trade Lester for anything less than a #1 prospect....the way Lester is pitching this year he can be the difference maker between winning it all or not. You don't think that if the Dodgers lose the WS (or don't make it to the WS) they won't regret not going hard after Lester? It's a steep price to pay but the teams who want to win are the ones who are willing to make that deal.

You won't get a top prospect from any team and then re sign him the next offseason. That just won't happen. You could get Joc but only if lester decides to sign for longer there.

2 month rentals don't net top 5-10 prospects in baseball. Simple as that.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
You won't get a top prospect from any team and then re sign him the next offseason. That just won't happen. You could get Joc but only if lester decides to sign for longer there.

2 month rentals don't net top 5-10 prospects in baseball. Simple as that.
I'm pretty sure the Red Sox have all the leverage in this situation. "Don't want to give us a top prospect? Too bad, we'll hold on to him thanks." Red Sox don't mind holding onto him and either working out a deal after the season or giving him a QO. The only reason we would even trade him is because we can get a good return for him. It's not like Peavy in which we wanted him gone to open up a spot in the rotation for someone else.

Members online

Latest posts