Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Barnes called up to Boston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Is he any good? I know nothing about him.

Like Ranaudo, Barnes is harnessing his talents by learning to control his pitches down in the zone more, and the results are definitely there (for both of them.) Barnes has show excellent command of his fastball since the all-star break, and his secondary stuff is effective enough to keep hitters off balance when the 97 mph gas paints the corners or climbs the ladder. His fastball is legit, but if he doesn't also lean on the curve and change-of-pace against the league's top hitters, he could give up some bombs. I think he's capable of being a #2-3 starter next year or in 2016. IMHO, if he keeps improving, he could even be the ace at some point down the road!

Show your Barnes cards in the thread!

I've been holding just a few nice ones:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
1 inning under his belt: 0 H 0 R 0 BB 0 K. (against division-leader Orioles)

Now 3 IN 3 H 0 R 0 BB 2 K.

Just struck out Adam Jones with runners on 2nd and 3rd with only one out in the top of the 9th in a 4-1 game (O's on top).

Last edited:

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I'm really expecting good things from him.
Here's a little bit of what I have....

barnespatch50c.jpg

masttbarnpatch.jpg

barneshat5.jpg

barnesplate.jpg

barns10.jpg

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
sweet stuff @ rebelpawn

most shutout innings by a BoSox rookie pitcher in his 1st appearance since Vaughn Eshelman, 1995.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Looked great in debut. Hope he is here to stay. So what's the rotation look like next year?

That is the $64,000 question. I was watching the Orioles feed of the game last night and the commentators were talking about all the young arms. They had a good point in that no matter how good they look in the minors and in limited MLB play, do you really want to bet your "come back" chances on these arms. Their feeling was that the Sox need 1 or 2 proven "horses" who can eat innings and keep the team in games long enough to give the offense a chance to win. I really like the young guys (except maybe Webster who, despite his "potential", seems to falter in big games), but I do think the Red Sox need to hit the market pretty hard for a few proven guys to replace Peavy, Lackey and Lester (not to mention Miller and even Koji). So, they need proven starters, a setup guy and a solid closer. Should be a very interesting winter in Boston. I am just glad that they have the $ and the MiLB guys to deals done.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
If anybody knows where the super is LMK! My scanner does not scan these cases very well either.

file_zpsb81cb882.jpg
[/URL]

Members online

Latest posts