Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

100 1/1s for the Jonny Gomes collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Got home for the first time in three months, and opened up my mail. Shredder might need a bit of a breather after all the packaging I sent through it! So while it takes a break, here are some of the highlights for those who will indulge with me.

I bought my first 1/1 of Gomes 9 years ago, and just now pushed the total up to and over 100. Now at 102, with 103 in the mail. At this rate #200 will come in 2023, though if Gomes makes a future Moments & Milestones, that mark could come much sooner. Two other milestones were hit: 600 cards (now 603), and 500 non-1/1s (now 501). There's a certain absurdity to the fact that more than 1/6 of the cards I have of Gomes are 1/1s.

Speaking of which, who also has 100 1/1s of their player? I know of [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION] and the Teixera guy on another forum (The Bench?), [MENTION=2179]Thumpersports[/MENTION] for Glaus, and the Brunell guy. There have got to be some more, and if you're anywhere near there, feel free to use this thread to show off with...

Other than the 1/1s, all that mail mostly brought duplicates from previous years, and burnished the 2014 credentials. One of those cards was pretty cool, an acetate /10 (pictured below). Also, a shoutout to [MENTION=4830]tribefan26[/MENTION], who sent me a cool error card he pulled. Thanks! On the non-card front, I got three lineup cards (one pictured) from Gomes' AA days. Pretty fun to look at them, and recognize some of the names I used to see while watching the AAA Durham Bulls.

The collection now stands at 603/753 (80%), or 501/510 (98%) without 1/1s. At least one of those, a 2014 Topps Pink /50, should pop up soon enough. I also have 102/243 of Gomes' 1/1s, for 42%.

#99 : 2013 Topps Gypsy Queen Magenta Printing Plate

f-25085.jpg

#100 : 2008 Topps Chrome Cyan Printing Plate

f-7108.jpg

#101 : 2006 Upper Deck Ovation Cyan Printing Plate

f-6957.jpg

#102 : 2013 Topps Mini Black Printing Plate

f-25077.jpg

And the whole slew together:

1-1s.png

2014 Topps Clear Acetate /10:

f-25289.jpg
b-25289.jpg

2012 Topps No Foil Error (from tribefan26):

f-24276.jpg

Bakersfield Blaze lineup card with Gomes hitting cleanup:

BlazeAsApril252002.jpg

Last edited:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Very impressive. Did you have a lot of compition for your player? I do not think I can get to 100 1/1s of O'neill unless they keep putting him in every Topps brand that comes out like they have been. I had a lot of compition because O'neill fell in the years of the start of 1/1s craze and that was also the start of the Yankees World Seies run. It is still very impressive you have compiled those stats of one player, congratulations.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Amazing collection. How long do you typically go between pick ups? I imagine at this point finding anything you don't already have may take months at a time.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks guys!

[MENTION=10970]Yanks2151[/MENTION], it really depends on the time of the day, so to speak. Gomes cards became extremely expensive for a stretch just a few months after I began to collect him, as he started the 2006 season hitting home runs left and right (well, mostly to left). Then the bidding cooled down for a while. As far as I can tell, there are two other guys that collect him as a player: [MENTION=2995]mudflap02[/MENTION], who has one heck of a collection of his rookie cards, and a guy who went to high school with Gomes. The latter guy frequently pushes card prices higher, mostly on 1/1s, but inserts and parallels can frequently be picked up relatively cheaply (e.g., 6-10 bucks for a Topps Black). There are also a number of Red Sox team collectors who have definitely impacted the prices of recent cards; I spent $80 on the 2014 Topps Clear Acetate 1/10 in the first post, a premium of at least $50 over what it would otherwise go for.

Bottom line: several people push the prices up on 1/1s and other rare cards, but there isn't enough demand to do the same for those that are more common.

[MENTION=5592]jszczech[/MENTION], the last time I took a non-1/1 off my list was nearly 2 years ago, and that one ended a 2 1/2 year dry spell. Outside of recent releases, there are only 7 cards that I'm missing, 3 of which probably don't exist. 1/1s are actually much easier to find as a whole, since there are 141 that I'm still missing. Last year I purchased at least 10, and so far this year I've managed to track down 5.

[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION], I watched him for several years at AAA. He was always a lot of fun to watch with his all out style of play. There were a number of clutch moments (walk off hits, diving catches, etc.) that were cool in their own light, but also because you could see how focused on and pumped about them Gomes was. He's been a serendipitous selection in some respects. There have been new cards to chase after every year, but not an overwhelming amount, and rarely prohibitively expensive. If anything, he leans towards omission in many products; while occasionally frustrating (see 2010, with 12 cards issued), it just opens up other possibilities to collect, such as game used items.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Wow nice.. I don't even have one 1/1, of my player or not.

At this point, any 1/1 of any player ever would be my most exciting find for sure

I think I might have one /50 of some old failed prospect and I was really excited about that

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for all the compliments! [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION], looks like I have a pretty long way to go to catch up with you. And that's just with the 1/1s; having all those autographs is pretty impressive. How often do you add a 1/1 to your collection?

[MENTION=11150]Techniq[/MENTION], who do you collect?

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Thanks for all the compliments! [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION], looks like I have a pretty long way to go to catch up with you. And that's just with the 1/1s; having all those autographs is pretty impressive. How often do you add a 1/1 to your collection?

[MENTION=11150]Techniq[/MENTION], who do you collect?

I really try to collect everything but my favorite players that I try harder to collect are number one Bo Jackson and others in no particular order like Rickey Henderson, Canseco, Ripken, Nolan Ryan, Deion Sanders, McGwire, Griffey, Reggie Jackson, Gwynn, Kent, Will Clark, Frank Thomas, and those are the main ones

Kinda started collecting Jim Thome and Wade Boggs just because I ended up with a box full of those guys once so it was a good start

I know it's a rather large list but I really just try to grab any thing I can.. Almost like I'm a set builder who player collects everyone lol but those guys are my favorites

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thanks for all the compliments! @AmishDave, looks like I have a pretty long way to go to catch up with you. And that's just with the 1/1s; having all those autographs is pretty impressive. How often do you add a 1/1 to your collection?

@Techniq, who do you collect?

Usually don't add as much as I use to (obviously, lol). Was working on a couple deals on B.O. before I got suspended there and that would've brought in 17 more 1/1's. Hopefully can get those hammered out April 9th. Otherwise, one every month now is the goal (so 12 a year). I try to add 4 auto's a week of JJ though. More if possible. Gotta count them up again to see if I passed 1000 pack certified auto's yet :p

marhjan

Aug 2, 2010
Threads like this make me think I need to step up my game lol... Very impressive collection

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
I don't see the point of picking up so many of an overrated player who will never amount to anything in the bigs, but to each his own I guess.

Congrats on the milestone Luc.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
@AmishDave, I hope you're able to hammer out those deals; the idea of adding 17 1/1s at once is pretty crazy, especially since that's about a year and a half a pickups right there. Looking forward to seeing them!

@mudflap02, can't argue with you there Jeff. Anyone hoarding his rookies should really just read the writing on the wall and sell now.

Members online