Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this normal/o.k. to ask for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roundtree34

Aug 9, 2008
Had a bidder win an auction of mine on Ebay, got the following statement from him, "when you package up my card I would expect the following to happen, "A PENNY SLEEVE, A NEW HARD CARD GUARD WITH NO TAPE ON IT(DONT LIKE THE TAPE RESIDUE) A TEAM BAG THAT IS TAPED SHUT, A FEW POPCORN STYROFOAM BUBBLES TO PREVENT ANY DAMAGE" as a seller I put the card in a sleeve, hard guard and team bag and in 13 years of selling have never had to refund any money due to damage. I know sometimes that I as well as other sellers have used or recycled a hard card guard from time to time but when possible I try to send in a new guard. Is this to much to ask for when you win a 99cent david wright card?

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
Had a bidder win an auction of mine on Ebay, got the following statement from him, "when you package up my card I would expect the following to happen, "A PENNY SLEEVE, A NEW HARD CARD GUARD WITH NO TAPE ON IT(DONT LIKE THE TAPE RESIDUE) A TEAM BAG THAT IS TAPED SHUT, A FEW POPCORN STYROFOAM BUBBLES TO PREVENT ANY DAMAGE" as a seller I put the card in a sleeve, hard guard and team bag and in 13 years of selling have never had to refund any money due to damage. I know sometimes that I as well as other sellers have used or recycled a hard card guard from time to time but when possible I try to send in a new guard. Is this to much to ask for when you win a 99cent david wright card?

If I were to get a request like that, I'd probably type "*%$# you" as a response, then delete it and not respond at all. And then I'd package the card just as I've packaged cards forever (and without one single instance of damage in transit) -- soft sleeve, Card Saver I, in between two cutouts of cardboard and into a padded envelope of appropriate size. If the buyer didn't like it, I'd block him from ever bidding on my auctions again.

gt5717b

Jun 6, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
I buy several $0.99 cards from eBay (typically to complete a set) and for something worth that little, I have have virtually zero expectations for shipping protection. I generally expect a solo card to be in a penny sleeve but a top loader is somewhat of a bonus to me. I definitely do not expect a team bag. That's a little overkill for a $1 card, IMHO--although, highly appreciated if the seller wants to be that generous ;).

If the card were worth $10+, I would definitely expect a top loader and would hope they wouldn't use tape directly on the top loader because I also hate the residue. But again, that's being picky because in the end, the transaction is all about the card and not getting a free top loader (or team bag) out of the deal.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Kinda rude of him and poorly worded too. I'd still do it just 'cuz the potential headaches otherwise. Remember, the Customer always thinks they're right...

And BTW, blue "painters" tape does not leave a residue on Plastic and one roll lasts forever for shipping needs.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Yes it is, but of he makes a fuss you'll come up short. I'd ship it in a normal envelope between two decoy cards and call it a day though.

Save the emails and block him once he's left feedback. Sounds like someone who is difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
And BTW, blue "painters" tape does not leave a residue on Plastic and one roll lasts forever for shipping needs.

I use this and I wish everyone would. There would be a lot less ruined toploaders out there if people would use the blue painters tape. Even the cheap stuff works good for this purpose.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Regardless of price of card, in my opinion the buyer has no room to tell the seller how to ship, as it is the seller's responsibility to get the card to the buyer safely.

As long as the seller ships in a way that gets the card there safely 999 times out of 1000, then I don't care how they ship as long as I'm not paying 5x more than it costs.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I would tell him I want my Lamborghini with MASSAGE SEATS, UV PROTECTED SUNROOF, RESIDUE FREE DIPSTICK, (DONT LIKE THE RESIDUE) AIRBAGS WITH BUILT IN POPCORN MAKER FOR EXTRA PROTECTION.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If it wasn't going to cause poor feedback, I'd say put a few layers of tape on the team bag to meet that "requirement".

I just lay out how I plan on mailing/packing the item in the description to avoid any situations.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
I would do exactly as he wants. Especially when it comes to taping the team bag shut. 3-4 feet of packing tape should do the trick.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
How much was the item? And how much was S/h? Just curious.

BTW, you should probably use the "report this buyer" function to report his message. He doesn't have the right to stipulate how you may ship an item after the fact. If he had made this clear prior to buying the item, that's different.

Last edited:

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have tons of taped up or written on toploaders from cards that i have purchased on ebay. I often recycle them when I send items in trades and sales on ebay and such.

I would explain to the buyer that he is purchasing the card only and safe transit, not any specific brand new displays/toploaders etc. Though I would offer to ship things as he asked if he would be willing to pay additional money for the supplies.

jdowg84

Oct 13, 2012
Tell him that he gets what he paid for. If he wants to make special requests, then he can pay a bit extra for the materials. The styrofoam peanuts are a little overkill if the card is shipped in a bubble mailer.