Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I just noticed somone won a Ray Lankford 98 TEK refractor $ 15.50 on ebay.

I simply just do not get the frenzy some collectors get into over certain cards and the 1998 TEks
seem to bring out the avid die hard collectors

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Ive been on it for a while and still dont get it. I dont ever seem to make a lot of trades here so I must be doing something
wrong. Hundreds of done on the Bench and ebay rating of almost 2200 mostly as buyer

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ive been on it for a while and still dont get it. I dont ever seem to make a lot of trades here so I must be doing something
wrong. Hundreds of done on the Bench and ebay rating of almost 2200 mostly as buyer

Carl - Just curious, how many Topps Tek cards have you aquired that you've needed on The Bench this calendar year verus FCB? Just curious. I know you've acquired a couple here... so have you acquired hundrends on The Bench this year? I find that hard to believe or you'd be done with your checklist of needed cards.

I'll be honest with you... You speak of The Bench as an automatic for cards you need via trades and getting everything you could possibly need but I could NEVER get a deal done over there for Belle cards I need BUT for some reason I can get one a week it seems like here. Not to mention being classified as a Rookie or whatever and guys there trying to get me to send cards before they send me paypal! Haha... seriously the most frustrating board via trading I've ever been on... but to everyone their own.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Yeah togaman, you've complained alot about your lack of success here. I think it's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. I can't see how voicing your frustration helps your cause. Your tenacity and your collection are impressive to me, your condescension to our community are not. Lots of great members here who will help when they can, but if they don't have the cards no use to continually voice frustration.

Hey, anyone have any 2000 Tek Vladimir Guerrero patterns? I've decided to do the 20 patterns of him, and looking to buy. At the moment, need everything except pattern 7 and 19.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hey, anyone have any 2000 Tek Vladimir Guerrero patterns? I've decided to do the 20 patterns of him, and looking to buy. At the moment, need everything except pattern 7 and 19.

I might actually have a pattern or two, I'll fire you a PM when I get home and look through his stuff that I have.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
xxxxxxx

I completely realize my set needs are somewhat obscure and limited so making any dent particularly in my second Topps TEK diffractor set (14 to go) or a Focus Mania for a a couple 250 card set I am close to finishing is a breath of fresh air. Finding a couple needed diffractors (Nomar and Lofton) cards like I did in a card shop in Dallas whose owner does not use the internet to sell cards on a random visit with my daughter for a Dairy Queen film shoot she was cast was sweet. I've never seen a shop so organized with an entire long wall stacked with collated boxes for single card collectors. We have two large shops here but nada for Teks as they are long gone

Good luck with your 1998 Topps TEK collecting. Fantastic set and amazing that people are still trying to finish their favorite player or mixed 90 card sets some 15 years later. I still have over 1400 1998 dupes now in U-Haul storage and still do pick up any pattern# 1 or same card# pattern # TEKs for sets of those separate from my complete master base set for my own personal collection

What I dont get about this site is there does not appear to be a tracking system for trades. Its probably operator error on my part. Will figure it out. These days any site that allow you to pick up cards you need for your sets is a good thing

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=2699]togaman[/MENTION] - Fair enough man. I think you're a great guy and a good asset to the board. I think your track record for completing the Tek master set and other sets is HUGE. I also appreciate all the help you've given me over the last couple years with my Belle Tek needs... which I'm still a dozen cards away from. Either way, I just get irritated with the small jabs to the board when it comes to the lack of trading, etc. I, like you, don't have an answer but like I said before, I've had more success here finding one-off Belle cards I need than anywhere else with ease.

Anyways, what was the shop you visited when you were in Texas (Dallas?) that doesn't use the internet? Man, I will have to stop by there and see if they have any Tek cards I need or any Albert Belle cards lol.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
One of the problems with searching for Albert Belles is that nobody tends to bother keeping up with the commons. While he was a great multi-sport talent for short while commons of player tend to get buried in extra boxes never to be seen again as the ebay fees I suppose aren't worth selling dollar cards. I especially like the Belle baseball card where he was wearing football pads...

Ooops thanks that was BO Jackson..not Albert (Joey) Belle

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
One of the problems with searching for Albert Belles is that nobody tends to bother keeping up with the commons. While he was a great multi-sport talent for short while commons of player tend to get buried in extra boxes never to be seen again as the ebay fees I suppose aren't worth selling dollar cards. I especially like the Belle baseball card where he was wearing football pads...

:confused:

Are you referring to this Bo Jackson card?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Dang Why on earth am I confusing Albert (Joey) Belle with Bo Jackson. Must be having a senior moment. Great Bo card

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
If I recall it was Triple ?? on Regal off I75 I think. He had a few diffractors left of Lankford and one or two others that I did not buy. If you are looking for Belle cards bring your lists as that store should allow you to make a dent in your want list. He had some regular TEKS to but I only picked up the two diffractors as well a pattern# 1 and same Card# pattern# . Can recall if there were any others. He sells at 50% Beckett. I wish I could have stayed for longer or brought my Want Lists with me but only spent about 25 minutes as I had to pick up my daughter from her film session with Dairy Queen and hit the road and back to Houston

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If I recall it was Triple ?? on Regal off I75 I think. He had a few diffractors left of Lankford and one or two others that I did not buy. If you are looking for Belle cards bring your lists as that store should allow you to make a dent in your want list. He had some regular TEKS to but I only picked up the two diffractors as well a pattern# 1 and same Card# pattern# . Can recall if there were any others. He sells at 50% Beckett. I wish I could have stayed for longer or brought my Want Lists with me but only spent about 25 minutes as I had to pick up my daughter from her film session with Dairy Queen and hit the road and back to Houston

Well, I'll try and track down what shop it is and where it is... If I can and plan a trip there, shoot me your want list and I'll see if I can track down any others you need that he might have. Not a problem at all. It'd be worth the trip for me if I could get a Belle or two that I don't have... sounds insane but even one Tek card of Belle that I need would be worth the trip lol

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I just found my receipt from 4/25/13 purchase here

Address
Triple Cards
2452 Avenue K
Plano, Texas 75074
972-509-5263

MY 98 TEK replacement/condition upgrade list is

Ivan Rodriguez....Card # 5 Pat # 47
D Bichette…….…… Card # 8 Pat # 36
Derek Jeter........Card # 14 Pat # 44
Brady Anderson..Card # 16 Pat # 34
David Justice......Card # 18 Pat # 25
Chipper Jones.....Card # 19 Pat # 28
Todd Walker.......Card # 24 Pat # 61
Tino Martinez......Card # 25 Pat # 38
Curt Schilling......Card # 32 Pat # 7
T Dunwoody.......Card # 36 Pat # 36
Paul O' Neill........Card # 37 Pat # 24
Randy Johnson....Card # 39 Pat # 11,21,27
Albert Belle.........Card # 47 Pat # 36
Jeromy Burnitz....Card # 48 Pat # 21,36
Jason Kendall......Card # 52 Pat # 15
Ellis Burks..........Card # 53 Pat # 25
Barry Larkin.......Card # 57 Pat # 28
Paul Konerko......Card # 63 Pat # 8
Javy Lopez.........Card # 65 Pat # 31
Knoblauch..........Card # 70 Pat # 36
Kevin Brown.......Card # 71 Pat # 36
Tim Salmon........Card # 72 Pat # 30
Jeff Bagwell........Card # 74 Pat # 78
AJ Hinch.............Card # 83 Pat # 56
Jim Thome..........Card # 89 Pat # 46

Happy Belle hunting

Well, I'll try and track down what shop it is and where it is... If I can and plan a trip there, shoot me your want list and I'll see if I can track down any others you need that he might have. Not a problem at all. It'd be worth the trip for me if I could get a Belle or two that I don't have... sounds insane but even one Tek card of Belle that I need would be worth the trip lol

Members online

Latest posts